Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving to Austin: hiking tips, investing, traffic, indoor pool, kayaking.

Old 11-27-2007, 12:27 PM

242 posts, read 827,675 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, we are seriously considering moving to Austin. My husband will be getting out of the Military in a few months, and we really think Austin is great. We were there last summer and really liked it! My only question is where in Austin? I have tryed to do some reaserch but all the citys seem wonderful. If I tell you our interests do you think you can match a city with our lifestyle?...After all you know Austin better then I do Thanks!

* We love to shop, lots of stores is a big +
* We would like a newer home with a price range of about 275,000
* Good School district
* Not to far from the city
* Family Friendly
* Trails for hiking and biking
* and we love lakes and water
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2007, 01:01 PM

1,618 posts, read 6,620,083 times
Melbon-

Well, I have seen you post here a good bit. I am sure the post and reading what you posted at least you have a very stong idea where you want to live.

As for your list I will post right next to or below eash question:

Round Rock has a nice outlet mall, PLUS IKEA is there. Real close access to I35. Cedar Park is has a mall and a super target that just got completed. Movie theater and MALL is only 5 min away (Lakeline Mall) Which I like it better then the outdoor Round Rock Outlet mall.

For me, not because I live in 78613, but to me the homes are going up and they will be great investment. Like Round Rock, I think its to clutter and w/ DELL being out there, the traffic really stinks and so does I35. I would choose Cedar Park.

* Good School district
Living north. I would say LISD (leander independent school district) Cedar Park / Leander.

Cedar Park

* Family Friendly
Burbs

Best hiking and biking is all over. My favorite close biking trails are Walnut Creek and Greenbelt. One is south the other is north. You choose.

Cedar Park is a spit away from Lake Travis.

~~ If it was me, I just like NW area better. I think Round Rock is nice but its sad that I hate I35 and don't want to be living anywhere near or close it. Both towns has lots to offer. I choose CP or Leander. Lot going on out here in CP area. Lots of great things!

Old 11-27-2007, 01:13 PM

1,035 posts, read 4,468,349 times
I agree with Mike. Sounds like Cedar Park or even Round Rock west of 35 would be a good fit. There are several neighborhoods not too far from Williamson County Regional Park and Cedar Park's Brushy Creek Park and right down the street from the outlet malls and IKEA. Several new neighborhoods are planned for that area as well...all along Ronald Reagan Blvd/Parmer. Keep checking David Weekley's and Centex Homes' websites for new neighborhoods in that area.

Old 11-27-2007, 01:16 PM

Oh ok sounds good good. My husband and I thought of round rock, cedar park and Circle c. So thanks you just confirmed it! Now what about georgetown?

Old 11-27-2007, 01:37 PM

1,035 posts, read 4,468,349 times
I just got back from Georgetown...personlly, I really like it there. Its the only other place we'd live in the area. And the ONLY place I'd live and be close to 35. One concern I have is the schools, but that's mainly b/c I like LISD so much. Others with kids in GISD may be more helpful.

Another thing though, because its on 35, it does tend to get "trafficky" and its impossible to grab a quick lunch anywhere...it gets pretty crowded. (I worked there last summer and had to eat lunch out all week.)

Its just such a pretty place and the new business construction is really well done.

Old 11-27-2007, 01:40 PM

15,273 posts, read 35,667,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melbon7462 View Post
  • We love to shop, lots of stores is a big +
  • We would like a newer home with a price range of about 275,000
  • Good School district
  • Not to far from the city
  • Family Friendly
  • Trails for hiking and biking
  • and we love lakes and water
  • Shopping
    There are several 'epicenters' of shopping:
    RR, along I-35
    CP, along 183
    San Marcos, along I-35
    Austin:
    NW - 183/Mopac area
    SW - Sunset Valley
    S - I-35/Slaughter area
    W - 620/Hwy 71 area
    I am sure there are lots of others, but shopping is not hard to find. Most of it is chain/box store, but some local stuff mixed in too.
  • 275K House
    This is right around a break point. It pretty much eliminates most of the real central areas. Do you have a size in mind that goes with the price? N, NW, SW, and 'far' south have many houses that hit around this mark in the 2000 to 3000 sqft range. West/Central/South central will have fewer in this range and/or smaller.
  • Schools
    Most of the suburban living areas have good schools, especially from the RR/PV area counter clockwise around Austin back down to Drippping Springs. The schools to the east from Manor down through Bastrop and Del Valle and possibly back through Hays have historically been considered not as good, but are probably improving (or have improved) significantly with the influx of new residents. In Austin proper, there is a wide range of schools, with the ones further east generally being more suspect (LBJ, Reagan, Akins) and the more western/central being better (Bowie, Austin, Anderson).
  • Close to Austin
    This is all relative. For me, who does not work downtown and only travels downtown occasionally to venues such as Bass or Paramount or Zilker Park (not really downtown), distance is not really an issue. Most of the suburbs have easy access to downtown during non-rush hour times. The far western areas are more difficult, at least in the sense that 2222 is somewhat dangerous and 71/620 can backup at surprising times. Personally, if I wanted to come to Austin proper very often, I would not go out as far as G'town or Leander, and Dripping Springs is getting a bit far. CP, Oakhill area, and RR are closer in. An of course, there are areas IN Austin.
  • Family
    Highly personal choice, here, but I would have a hard time finding areas that were family unfriendly, especially in that price range. Some of the areas downtown would not necessarily be child safe - I would stay away from the univ. area, perhaps, or from lofts in the 6th street area, but that is really kinda obvious . Most of the outlying neighborhoods and suburb cities are fueled by young families, but they will have different personalities. Finding one that suits you is hard to guess.
  • Hiking/biking
    Pretty much everywhere. The green belt/town lake trail, of course, but also Muleshue and Walnut creek park for biking (mtn biking). For road biking, S. MoPac/veloway/Escarpment blvd. 360 for the ones who do not fear fast cars (big shoulder there helps), but further west is difficult. North, Parmet Ln on the weekends. Casual riding is really nice in most neighborhoods.
  • Lakes/water
    Closer to lake = further from Austin, so it is a balance. Assuming you mean BIG lake. Lake Austin is closer in, as is town lake (no motors allowed on town lake). San Marcos river for kayaking/canoeing, as well.

Last edited by Trainwreck20; 11-28-2007 at 07:45 AM.. Reason: typos

Old 11-27-2007, 02:17 PM

well looks like round rock is in the running...lol Thanks so much for the helpful information. Its nice to know I was on the right track.

Old 11-27-2007, 10:16 PM

118 posts, read 561,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melbon7462 View Post
* Good School district
* Family Friendly
You asked about Georgetown... we have plenty of shopping here! There's the Wolf Ranch shopping center, with most of your typical big box and chain stores, plus some misc smaller shops. The downtown square area is very charming with interesting Mom & Pop shops and a few restaurants. There are plenty more stores and restaurants scattered around town.

We're also close to Round Rock with the outlet mall and Ikea. Austin's Arboretum and Domain shopping centers aren't too far, either. They are building new retail and restaurants here in GT like mad. I heard plans for a big new center out by the new toll road. Can't recall when that's supposed to begin.

Not sure about the school quality, as we don't have kids ourselves. I do know they are building a new high school. I think the middle grades are supposed to go online first, with the older grades coming a year or two later.

One thing about GT that might not meet your list is our distance from Austin. If you need to go into downtown or South Austin on any regular basis, you'll probably feel too far away here in GTown. My bf works in NW Austin and it takes him 25-45 minutes each way (less time super early in the AM, more time during evening rush hour). If you need to get to the airport, I believe the toll road is open that far now, and should be a super convenient way to get there.

Georgetown has a nice lake with a dam, and an excellent and beautiful park along the river. There are plenty of hike and bike trails, and at least two public pools and a tennis center. They've just broken ground on a major expansion to the rec center that will add an indoor pool, more workout space, and other stuff that I can't recall!

Not exactly sure on the housing prices, but I'd guess you can find something quite nice in your price range. (Don't forget to factor in property taxes, which are a shocker for many transplants - ourselves included!)

HTH
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin