Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2014, 03:35 PM

5 posts, read 6,330 times

Advertisements

So I am considering moving to Austin, as it would further my career. My wife is pregnant with our second child and we are both Houstonians, except for our undergrad at UT Austin.

If we make the move, the neighborhood has to be right. Currently we live in Briargrove in Houston which is close in and has a neighborhood feel. All the neighbors are great and I actually grew up less than a mile from my current house.

With the second child on the way, I think our needs are as follows....

1. Great neighborhood with families with children in similar age (0 and 18 months)
2. Close in-but not inner city (no suburbs)
3. Price range ($1MM-$2MM)
4. Size around 4500 sq ft or bigger
5. Driving time no longer than 20 mins to downtown

Things have changed since we both graduated and it is hard to get a good feel for neighborhoods in the city.

Places we prefer...
- Westlake
- Most of the stuff off 360 by the bridge
- Families with young children

Thanks in advance, and before I get chastised...I did search but couldn't find anything of use that is recent info.

Best!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2014, 04:24 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,279,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hornpreneur View Post

1. Great neighborhood with families with children in similar age (0 and 18 months)
I'd love to hear from steve, but my thoughts are, something's gonna have to give. The problem is, the price point and size you want, in Austin, tends to not have many folks your kid's ages. If you find kids those ages, in houses at that price point, they are further out than 20 min (and is that at rush hour, or Sat for dinner?), like on the lake. The neighborhoods along 360 - like Davenport and Rob Roy - are aging. Some young move ins - mostly 45+ or older.

Know Briargrove well. Great neighborhood. I went to JH right by there on San Felipe. There isn't anything like that here.

Old 02-16-2014, 08:59 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,054,282 times
I concur with the above -- can't really think of a comparable hood to Briargrove here. (I spent 3+ years on Houston's central-west side when my job was there)

Do you know your job location?

Old 02-16-2014, 09:59 AM

I would be downtown.

It doesn't have to be just like Briargrove (all kids and families our age...30-40), but something that is family friendly.

What is West Lake Hills like?

Old 02-16-2014, 10:14 AM

320 posts, read 487,098 times
Are school considerations in the mix? Public or Private?

Old 02-16-2014, 10:23 AM

They are, prefer public but willing to do private if need be. That is why I am looking in the West Lake area, although this is pretty early in the process so I am not sure which districts are best.

Old 02-16-2014, 10:29 AM

320 posts, read 487,098 times
Eanes ISD is supposed to be very good, so that may help your decision.

Old 02-16-2014, 12:42 PM

Thanks! Anyone else have an thoughts? So, the narrow look is Eanes ISD with Rollingwood, West Lake Hills, and Rob Roy.

Old 02-16-2014, 07:19 PM

2,185 posts, read 6,435,039 times
Quote:
So I am considering moving to Austin, as it would further my career. My wife is pregnant with our second child and we are both Houstonians, except for our undergrad at UT Austin.

If we make the move, the neighborhood has to be right. Currently we live in Briargrove in Houston which is close in and has a neighborhood feel. All the neighbors are great and I actually grew up less than a mile from my current house.

With the second child on the way, I think our needs are as follows....

Things have changed since we both graduated and it is hard to get a good feel for neighborhoods in the city.

Places we prefer...
- Westlake
- Most of the stuff off 360 by the bridge
- Families with young children

Thanks in advance, and before I get chastised...I did search but couldn't find anything of use that is recent info.

Best!
For a family with one child, that house price range cracks me up! Why not save your money and buy something more practical. I doubt you would interact with anyone with a price range like that.

Old 02-16-2014, 09:48 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,279,589 times
Quote:
Thanks! Anyone else have an thoughts? So, the narrow look is Eanes ISD with Rollingwood, West Lake Hills, and Rob Roy.
You will find it very difficult to find families like yours in those neighborhoods. Sounds like you are sold on that area. If you come to house hunt, take a hard look just the at lot sizes and how far the houses are apart. Those neighborhoods make it very difficult to get to know your neighbors. That said, if I had to pick one, I'd pick Rollingwood - as much for the community pool as anything. Yes you can join if you don't live there - but the convenience is amazing. Also, sort of a community center.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin