Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2014, 04:30 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
But there isn't a line to the airport!! The proposed line ends at Grove! SOMEDAY there might be line to the airport and this bond issue is a precondition to that . . . but there are still many steps, lots of $$$, and at least a decade of time, before an airport line is a reality.
Exactly!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2014, 04:31 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,879,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
Highland is _far_ from just a "community college campus". The redevelopment there is planned to include a lot more jobs and homes, in an entire planned development. Already you've got rackspace moving in there.
It's a community college campus. Barely. Plans are great -- Intel planned a building downtown, Tom Stacy planned the tallest building in Austin, and Mueller has planned a town center for over a decade. If the developers want rail at Highland, let them pay for it. If you are going to ask the voters to pay for it, put it somewhere that addresses existing traffic or density.

The insistence on extending to Highland ACC is a huge red flag IMO. It should have been removed from the plan long ago based on community input.

Old 08-13-2014, 04:33 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
The school bonds got defeated for the same bundling issues, though, so the road money could be in trouble....

Honestly, I am in favor of a rail system of some sort. I am not expert, I don't know the best place to start or the parameters that might be critical or just minor. And not to insult anyone, but I don't trust many of the opinions on here to be much (if any) better than my own - too many agendas or arguments based on a predetermined result. I know the longer it waits, the more it will cost and more difficult it will be. OTOH, it pisses me off that they bundle it with something else instead of making it stand on its own merits. I would be MORE like to pass the same dollar amount of bonds if they were clearly delineated into two different proposals than I am with them bundled together.
I agree completely.

Give us a light rail bond election item that deals with just that.

And

Give us a road project that actually makes some badly needed improvements for roads, not stealth light rail infrastructure improvements.

Old 08-13-2014, 05:12 PM

3,834 posts, read 5,761,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
I don't believe this, sorry. You can try to prove it if you want, but keep in mind we've all heard this talking point before. FTA has not made a definitive statement, even the current route isn't guaranteed any FTA money. When the bonds are passed, the official pitch can be made to the FTA, and some level of funding will likely be granted on the merits of the proposal and the availability of the money.

Your opinion is noted.

Your position on the issue, which you've repeated far more often than me, is noted.

Oh, and BTW - I don't put much value in your opinion, in case you have not already noticed.
Luckily, the city doesn't hire people who have beliefs but no real knowledge. A lot of really really bright people are looking at this and fully appreciate the appeal to voters for an airport line - yet - are fully knowledgeable about FTA funding practices.

Old 08-13-2014, 05:22 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,879,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komeht View Post
Luckily, the city doesn't hire people who have beliefs but no real knowledge. A lot of really really bright people are looking at this and fully appreciate the appeal to voters for an airport line - yet - are fully knowledgeable about FTA funding practices.
Sounds good. We can evaluate their performance in November.

Old 08-13-2014, 05:35 PM

3,438 posts, read 4,454,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komeht View Post

Probably the same "really really bright people" that are trying to use off balance sheet accounting principles to deceive voters as to the amount actually proposed for rail and the amount actual proposed for roads.

The ends is misrepresented and certainly doesn't justify the "means" of government use of unconstitutional ballots and deceptive/fraudulent accounting in pursuit of a rail agenda.

Old 08-13-2014, 05:40 PM

319 posts, read 346,301 times
As the OP, I'm pleased to see a lively but cordial debate here.

I don't know of any elections until Nov, but the city council 10-1 candidate forums begin in mid Sept.

Does anybody think those races will impact the vote on the "connect bond" plan? No candidate in my district has come out with a position on the issue other than one candidate saying they didn't like the combining of rail/road issues. But not saying "for or against". All the other candidates are just "for the good things" and "against the bad things". But no specifics.

Old 08-13-2014, 06:07 PM

8,007 posts, read 10,428,452 times
There's already a bus that goes from downtown to the airport. Hasn't relieved any traffic that I can tell. Why would a train be any different?

For the record, I am from the Northeast (Philadelphia). I took a train just about every day of my life - and I lived in the 'burbs for most of that time. I love trains. I think it is awesome to not have to deal with driving. But the fact of the matter is that until Austin becomes denser and more walkable, trains (and public transit in general) are just not going to be a feasible alternative to driving for most people.

Old 08-13-2014, 08:56 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,278,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangergrit View Post
No candidate in my district has come out with a position on the issue other than one candidate saying they didn't like the combining of rail/road issues. But not saying "for or against". All the other candidates are just "for the good things" and "against the bad things". But no specifics.
District 6 candidate Jay Wiley is opposed.

Old 08-13-2014, 09:36 PM

615 posts, read 781,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53 View Post
District 6 candidate Jay Wiley is opposed.
Wiley has zero chance of winning, but yeah, he's against rail. He also wants to repeal the bag ban, get rid of Austin's bike sharing program, cut programs for the homeless, and remove environmental reviews for new road construction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin