Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2014, 12:57 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,898,816 times

Advertisements

Has anyone on here replaced wood balusters with metal ones? We have kiddos that keep breaking the wood ones, they are so fragile, I was thinking of upgrading to metal as it can't break and looks better.

Any experiences? Recommendations? I had some estimates but they seemed pricey. They wanted to also replace the carpet with wood and some other things that jacked up the cost.

Also, will this raise the value of the home?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2014, 01:18 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,650,196 times
Huh, our wood ones are extremely stout, I can't imagine them breaking, especially considering the abuse the kids (and ourselves) have put them through so far without an issue (almost 15 year worth). Is there any other design issue involved?

Old 10-06-2014, 01:23 PM

2,013 posts, read 1,430,337 times
Maybe the bulldozer should be an "outside only" toy?

Old 10-06-2014, 01:41 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,281,219 times
When we built our house, we spec'd metal. Imagine our surprise when we walked in and they were wood! Builder was great about swapping them out. They used the same hand railings. Both bases were on stained wood, but the actual step is carpet (starts about three inches over).

Looks great - have no idea what the effect on value is.

Old 10-06-2014, 01:48 PM

I would suspect there is little actual monetary value effect on the house, although maybe some appeal for those that like the metal vs. wood. Wood steps can also be considered a negative, especially with younger children that are more likely to slip. You can put a stair runner on the steps, but that can be more maintenance and/or damage the wood.

Old 10-06-2014, 02:05 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,134,243 times
we swapped ours out estimates were in the 1200 range to 2500 for about 100 balusters. Here are the things to watch out for

1) the metal is a smaller size than the wood. This means that if your stairs are stained there will be an outline of the wooden baluster on each step. Our guys assured us it would not be a problem but never came back to fix it. Color matching the stain might mean restaining your entire stairs.

2) the metal is smaller than the wood which means they need to have a good way to lock the metal into the bigger size holes. One of ours is loose.

3) make sure the balusters if square are facing a pleasing direction, ours are ok.

4) when installing they couldnt finish in a day. Rather than start at the top and work their way down, they started at the bottom and worked their way up. This meant we had a giant gap on the second floor railing for a few days. This was bad for our 1 year old.

wrought iron is definitely much more sophisticated than the white painted wood we had before.

Old 10-06-2014, 02:55 PM

277 posts, read 1,299,213 times
Yes, did it. Went from el cheapo white metal balusters & 2x4's for handrails, to super nice metal railing (wrought iron style).

I think it was worth it because the stair case is the first thing you see upon entering my front door.

I used Austin Stairs. It wasn't cheap, but it is gorgeous now.

Old 10-06-2014, 03:10 PM

Any pictures? Also, they wanted to replace the rail and the banisters (the big post looking ones) as well but they seem sturdy and I don't think they need replacing. Shouldn't they just be able to replace the balusters with metal and then fit the existing rail and keep the existing banisters? About the metal being smaller, is it worth it to get the larger metal or to pay for the caps at the bottom to cover up the possible gap that may be stained?

Old 10-06-2014, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
Huh, our wood ones are extremely stout, I can't imagine them breaking, especially considering the abuse the kids (and ourselves) have put them through so far without an issue (almost 15 year worth). Is there any other design issue involved?
Do you have square ones or those dainty decorative ones like we do? The diameter on the smallest portion of the baluster is probably about 1/4". The square portion is 1"x1", which would have been harder to break. No wonder why people are shifting to solid wood ones as well.

Old 10-06-2014, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Do you have square ones or those dainty decorative ones like we do? The diameter on the smallest portion of the baluster is probably about 1/4". The square portion is 1"x1", which would have been harder to break. No wonder why people are shifting to solid wood ones as well.
I will have to look at them tonight to see how thick they are, but I am pretty confident they are much bigger than 1/4 at the narrowest point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: