Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2015, 07:05 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,132,739 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpurcell View Post
Put yourself in the shoes of someone buying your house. Would you really offer more money for one house compared to another for balusters or the half bath? I wouldn't and I doubt many would. Heck, the very existence of a half-bath wouldn't shift my bid on a house substantially in the first place.
I might discount a place that didnt have them. As buyers get more experience knowing what they want and with remodeling, they will mentally add and subtract the amounts required to get a house to the state they want. Naive/new buyers probably will not do that as much.

Wrought iron balusters are a must for us. They cost about 3K so an identical place that didnt have them would have 3K deducted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2015, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
I think you might be the exception to the rule though. Most of the comments I received when I had it on the market for a short while (as a test) were to the tune of "We like the house to have all the upgrades and be move in ready with no work." and "Would take some upgrades to get to where we want it."

The bones of the house are great but they wanted upgrades.

Now the first question is which is more important to a buyer? granite countertops and stainless steel appliances in the kitchen or granite countertops, dual steam showers in master bath?
kitchen. When you have guests over they will see the kitchen but not the bath. You can delay a master bath renovation for longer than a kitchen renovation.

Old 01-15-2015, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Thanks. I don't plan on selling for at least a year or more, my son is in 4th grade and don't plan to sell until the summer after his 5th year so if we have to change schools it will be when he's changing schools for middle school anyway.

One idea that somebody gave me for the bathroom is to do things like paint the cabinets black (it currently is painted white with that white corian type counter), so the black/white contrast would be nice. However, I kind of want to change the bathroom for me. Some things bug me. For instance, the exhaust vent plastic was yellow from aging, I replaced that cheaply. I have the same problem with the plastic vents from the jacuzzi. I haven't seen where you can replace just those pieces.

The kitchen has that golden oak/pine color which my first wife loved and second wife hated. I plan to stain those a nice mahogany finish like the stairs which I just had redone. I may even start this weekend as it's supposed to finally warm up (sunny and mid 60's this weekend). I could take all the cabinets off, sand them down, stain them and polyurethane them outside and let them dry. Lately the weather has been too cold and wet to do that (it needs to be at least 55 degrees according to the directions). I was thinking about replacing a cabinet or two with that frosted glass look, is that worth it?

Once that's done I'll make the decision about whether to replace the countertops I guess.

One other question. For shoe, is white shoe with wood floors or stained shoe with wood floors better? I've seen both, my mom has painted shoe and it seems to look more professional.
I wouldnt change out the cabinets to anything except something generic that lots of people would be ok with.

I absolutely would not paint the bathroom cabinets black for contrast.

If anything I would get a professional stager to come in and make recommendations. Your agent should also be able to make recommendations. If they cant then you need a new agent.

Old 01-15-2015, 07:23 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,896,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
I wouldnt change out the cabinets to anything except something generic that lots of people would be ok with.

I absolutely would not paint the bathroom cabinets black for contrast.

If anything I would get a professional stager to come in and make recommendations. Your agent should also be able to make recommendations. If they cant then you need a new agent.
To be honest, last time we had a stager I didn't like some of what she did (neither did my wife).

I don't really want to put lipstick on a pig. I'd rather give the pig plastic surgery at this point. But unfortunately there is only enough money for one or two operations at this point.

About the cabinets, it is common in the newer homes in Steiner to have one or two cabinet doors to either be glass or frosted glass, so this would be modernizing in my opinion.

Old 01-15-2015, 07:44 AM

1,825 posts, read 2,829,120 times
Quote:
To be honest, last time we had a stager I didn't like some of what she did (neither did my wife).
While it's possible you had a bad stager, that you didn't like it tells me that you need a stager. It isn't done so that you like it. It's done so that everyone else will - or, at least, won't dislike it.

The seller's market will probably support whatever you do so long as it isn't too radical, but to be frank you sound like someone who wants what he wants, everyone else be damned. Your house is a great place to feel that way right up until you need to sell it.

Old 01-15-2015, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquitaine View Post
While it's possible you had a bad stager, that you didn't like it tells me that you need a stager. It isn't done so that you like it. It's done so that everyone else will - or, at least, won't dislike it.

The seller's market will probably support whatever you do so long as it isn't too radical, but to be frank you sound like someone who wants what he wants, everyone else be damned. Your house is a great place to feel that way right up until you need to sell it.
Save the judgments for someone you know. Installing granite countertops is not something radical either, it's a standard upgrade that everyone craves.

Old 01-15-2015, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
I might discount a place that didnt have them. As buyers get more experience knowing what they want and with remodeling, they will mentally add and subtract the amounts required to get a house to the state they want. Naive/new buyers probably will not do that as much.

Wrought iron balusters are a must for us. They cost about 3K so an identical place that didnt have them would have 3K deducted.
Exactly, now that I've done them, my next house will have to have them or there will be an automatic $3K deduction.

Old 01-15-2015, 09:30 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,557,651 times
Quote:
Exactly, now that I've done them, my next house will have to have them or there will be an automatic $3K deduction.
Deduction from what?

The conversation might go like this:

"Uh, we buyers think you should deduct $3000 for those pesky wood balusters."

"Uh, we sellers will be talking to those six OTHER buyers behind you...and not deducting anything, thankyouverymuch."

Old 01-15-2015, 11:18 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,487,964 times
Quote:
Thanks. I don't plan on selling for at least a year or more, my son is in 4th grade and don't plan to sell until the summer after his 5th year so if we have to change schools it will be when he's changing schools for middle school anyway.

One idea that somebody gave me for the bathroom is to do things like paint the cabinets black (it currently is painted white with that white corian type counter), so the black/white contrast would be nice. However, I kind of want to change the bathroom for me. Some things bug me. For instance, the exhaust vent plastic was yellow from aging, I replaced that cheaply. I have the same problem with the plastic vents from the jacuzzi. I haven't seen where you can replace just those pieces.

The kitchen has that golden oak/pine color which my first wife loved and second wife hated. I plan to stain those a nice mahogany finish like the stairs which I just had redone. I may even start this weekend as it's supposed to finally warm up (sunny and mid 60's this weekend). I could take all the cabinets off, sand them down, stain them and polyurethane them outside and let them dry. Lately the weather has been too cold and wet to do that (it needs to be at least 55 degrees according to the directions). I was thinking about replacing a cabinet or two with that frosted glass look, is that worth it?

Once that's done I'll make the decision about whether to replace the countertops I guess.

One other question. For shoe, is white shoe with wood floors or stained shoe with wood floors better? I've seen both, my mom has painted shoe and it seems to look more professional.
Bathroom - black might be a bit harsh. Maybe a medium dark brown or an espresso? Also what color is your floor and what type of floor is it. IMHO, you will be fine keeping the solid surface sink. solid surface/corian is not out of style and looks better than cultured marble. I think that you should keep tile in the bathroom for sure, but you might want to consider using the wood look porcelain tile. They are very nice. They give you the wood look but the moisture protection/imperviousness of tile. Since you are handy, that might be a good weekend project for you and you can find a nice Marazzi tile, 6 x 24, at home depot for $2.50 or so per sq ft.

Kitchen - I do think it is worth sprucing up the kitchen and staining the pine/oak. Mahogany is nice. I'll admit that I find darker cabinets OR white cabinets appealing vs. oak/lighter wood. Something about oak, when used in the 80s and 90s homes, that screams dated. Switching out the upper doors for frosted glass shouldn't cost you a lot, especially if you can personally install them. It adds an upgraded touch without having to do anything to the cabinets. If the cabinets are in good condition, I don't think you should remove them. In fact, "remodeling" a kitchen can be as simple as adding newer, trendy hardware, staining your cabinets, adding new doors. You might want to swap out your overhead light fixture in the kitchen if it is one of those big flourescent ones. (I didn't, but in retrospect, I would have). Pendants are really cute. I'm not into trendy things too much, but I do like pendant lighting.

Appliances - how old are your appliances? were they ever replaced? If they are the originals, replacing with stainless wouldn't hurt. you might want to check out the Lowe's appliance sales and see if you can get a package at a reasonable price, or maybe go to Giant Appliances. If they are still working and in good condition and/or were replaced at some point, leave them in.

Countertops - do you have a corian counter? laminate? Like I said upthread, Corian hasn't died and I happen to like it because it can be sanded/refinished. If you must have granite, then I'd choose one that is neutral because people can be turned off by the wrong color granite. I don't really like granite countertops at all....

You're on the right track by replacing things that obviously look worn and dated.

So if you fix the worn/dated things, take care of things that need replacing,and "spruce up" (rather than replace) then you should be able to get your home "move in ready".

Old 01-15-2015, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
Deduction from what?

The conversation might go like this:

"Uh, we buyers think you should deduct $3000 for those pesky wood balusters."

"Uh, we sellers will be talking to those six OTHER buyers behind you...and not deducting anything, thankyouverymuch."
Um, more like our offer will be $3K below the selling price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: