Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2015, 04:53 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,919,865 times

Advertisements

How much do the following upgrades add to the house value? (3000 sf for reference, Steiner Ranch)

* done: conversion of balusters from wood to rod iron and refinishing wood on staircases, cost $3K, recoup: _____
* done: conversion of half bath, redo mirror, granite countertops, oil brush bronze finishes, eco-two button flush toilet, cost $800, recoup: ______

* to do: installation of hardwood floors bottom floor: cost $14K, recoup: ______
* to do: restain kitchen cabinets, granite countertops: cost $10K, recoup: ______
* to do: redo master bath, granite countertops, custom shower with duel steam multi-flow showers, oil brush bronze finishes, antique soaker tub, cost $10-15K, recoup: ________
* to do: redo deck with wood-plastic composite deck surface, conversion of balusters from wood to iron: cost: $2K, recoup: _____

Thank you!

Last edited by cBach; 01-12-2015 at 05:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2015, 07:22 PM

175 posts, read 226,886 times
Impossible to say, really, without knowing the details. But if you got 50% back, I'd say you were doing well.

I'd only do these things if they are something you will enjoy having.

Old 01-13-2015, 06:23 AM

3,575 posts, read 2,207,381 times
It truly depends on when you sell if the upgrades you added are what people want. Definitely the bathroom would pay for itself. I think work on the kitchen and bathrooms are always worth it. But when I upgrade I do it for myself not worrying about whether I will get money back or not. I would improve my house if it was important to me if its for resell then I would look at the neighborhood what do other homes for sale have?

Old 01-13-2015, 08:05 AM

1,430 posts, read 2,379,389 times
My guesses:

* done: conversion of balusters from wood to rod iron and refinishing wood on staircases, cost $3K, recoup: $0
* done: conversion of half bath, redo mirror, granite countertops, oil brush bronze finishes, eco-two button flush toilet, cost $800, recoup: $0

* to do: installation of hardwood floors bottom floor: cost $14K, recoup: $2,000-5,000
* to do: restain kitchen cabinets, granite countertops: cost $10K, recoup: $2,000-$3,000
* to do: redo master bath, granite countertops, custom shower with duel steam multi-flow showers, oil brush bronze finishes, antique soaker tub, cost $10-15K, recoup: $5,000-$7,000
* to do: redo deck with wood-plastic composite deck surface, conversion of balusters from wood to iron: cost: $2K, recoup: $1,000-$2,000

Old 01-13-2015, 10:05 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,521,756 times
eh, if you're doing it just for resale, I wouldn't spend that much. If you're doing it because you plan to live there and enjoy the upgrades, then go for it.

HGTV be damned, but you don't need to redo a perfectly good deck unless your maintenance was poor and a total replace is necessary. You don't have to install granite countertops. Hardwood is nice but from what I've seen, there are many people selling homes with mostly tile floors. You don't need to do a custom multi flow shower either. Unless of course, you're planning on bloating your asking price to accomodate upgrades that people may or may not agree with and you run the risk of looking like the odd man out. Your realtor should be giving you tips on what to upgrade and what to leave alone.

Old 01-13-2015, 10:14 AM

15,273 posts, read 35,700,552 times
From my understanding, 'upgrading' floors is one of the riskiest 'investments', because you don't know what people will want - if they wanted carpet or tile, then your wood is a negative. Floors are one of the easiest things for a buyer to change - it only takes a few days after you buy a house to get a crew in there and put in the floor you want.

Old 01-13-2015, 04:14 PM

8,007 posts, read 10,455,582 times
I live in Steiner and would say you would re-coup most of your money on the hardwood (make sure it is real hardwood that can be refinished), the kitchen, and the master bath. I really don't know anyone buying here who has NOT wanted hardwood floors.

I will also add that I don't know how you plan to do an entire master bath for $15K. We re-did ours 2 years ago, just replacing what we already had (not changing the floor plan) and spent close to $28K. Granted, we did do very high-end finishes (marble, polished nickle, etc.).

No one cares about the half bath. You can change out the light fixture, hardware, and mirror for less than $200 and have what looks to be a brand-new bathroom. No ones spends enough time in a half bath to need any more than that. And if you're in Steiner, your toilet is not old enough to really need replacing.

Old 01-13-2015, 04:17 PM

8,007 posts, read 10,455,582 times
Also wanted to add that it depends on what section of Steiner you are in. If you are in one of the much older areas (Plateau, Canyon Glen, etc.) doing all of that would be a great over improvement for the neighborhood and not a good investment. Those are really "entry level" homes. The people that tend to buy them are ones who want to live in Steiner but don't have $400K+ to spend. Having the most expensive home in the neighborhood is not a good thing.

Old 01-13-2015, 05:26 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,126,008 times
Remember a house is a depreciating asset (the land, if you are lucky, appreciates) so maintenance and upgrades are often needed just to maintain the value, it is hard to actually add value in a measurable way with those kind of renovations.

Old 01-13-2015, 08:46 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,919,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm57553 View Post
I live in Steiner and would say you would re-coup most of your money on the hardwood (make sure it is real hardwood that can be refinished), the kitchen, and the master bath. I really don't know anyone buying here who has NOT wanted hardwood floors.

I will also add that I don't know how you plan to do an entire master bath for $15K. We re-did ours 2 years ago, just replacing what we already had (not changing the floor plan) and spent close to $28K. Granted, we did do very high-end finishes (marble, polished nickle, etc.).

No one cares about the half bath. You can change out the light fixture, hardware, and mirror for less than $200 and have what looks to be a brand-new bathroom. No ones spends enough time in a half bath to need any more than that. And if you're in Steiner, your toilet is not old enough to really need replacing.
Well the half bath is already done, lol. I did have to replace the toilet as my son had cracked the lid and it was running (as were the other two toilets). Actually I replaced all the toilets in the house with slick Glacier Bay eco two button flush toilets (green for low flush and silver button for double flush) and my water bill halved immediately, from $100 to $50 a month. I was able to recoup the cost of those 3 toilets in a year and I've had them multiple years now so that paid for itself just in water bill savings. I found a nice granite countertop sink basin from Lowe's for $350 so that wasn't too bad. Bought a waterfall sink oil brushed bronze for $200 from Home Depot so not too bad there. Total was probably around $800 for all. That's a done deal.

The balusters had to be replaced as some were broken and they didn't make the same style anymore and I didn't like the white wood look. The rod iron looks so much better, more "New Orleans style" which appeals to me. So that's totally something for the family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: