Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2015, 11:48 AM

772 posts, read 1,060,254 times

Advertisements

Yep, I cant imagine living south and commuting to NW Austin for work. Must have been way before my time that people easily did that. By the way, I know 2 people on my street who work at Apple. We live in Avery Ranch
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2015, 11:49 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,642,308 times
Quote:
I know it's a controversial opinion here but I'm not alone. I live near mopac/183 and I can get everywhere in 30min, including South Austin and often times less even.
Co-worker lives up off of Duval near 183/Mopac and works with me down near MoPac/360. It only takes 30 minutes or less if he comes in off of peak hours, near peak is 30-45. Going home often takes him an hour or more during peak traffic. This is about as up-to-date as you can get, I just walked down the hall and asked him. He has been making that commute for 7 or 8 years now, and he says it just slowly gets worse. He has some faint hope that the new lane on MoPac will help, at least temporarily.

Old 04-23-2015, 12:58 PM

668 posts, read 783,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by balor123 View Post
I know it's a controversial opinion here but I'm not alone. I live near mopac/183 and I can get everywhere in 30min, including South Austin and often times less even. I have coworkers who live in East Austin, Pflugerville, etc and 1.5 hours is just absurd. Stop scaring people. I've lived in major cities before where 1.5-2 hour commutes or longer are real no matter where you live in town.
I want to know what kind of magic flying car you have to do this. I live very near McNeil and 183, and LAST WEEK my husband and I took my parents down to Zilker Park and Lick ice cream (in two cars) and ended up heading back to our home at 5 PM. It was 6:20 PM when I pulled into our driveway (I took 360 home) and my husband, who took Mopac, was a few minutes behind me. This was not unnatural traffic. My husband used Waze to get home and I just tried 360 so my mom could see the hills as we were stuck in the car for what I knew would be a long time.

Please tell me what part of South Austin you can get to from Mopac and 183 in 30 minutes or less *during peak commute times.* I can do it at midnight, sure, but otherwise this is pure fiction.

Old 04-23-2015, 01:33 PM

2,602 posts, read 2,980,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eirenecat View Post
I want to know what kind of magic flying car you have to do this. I live very near McNeil and 183, and LAST WEEK my husband and I took my parents down to Zilker Park and Lick ice cream (in two cars) and ended up heading back to our home at 5 PM. It was 6:20 PM when I pulled into our driveway (I took 360 home) and my husband, who took Mopac, was a few minutes behind me. This was not unnatural traffic. My husband used Waze to get home and I just tried 360 so my mom could see the hills as we were stuck in the car for what I knew would be a long time.

Please tell me what part of South Austin you can get to from Mopac and 183 in 30 minutes or less *during peak commute times.* I can do it at midnight, sure, but otherwise this is pure fiction.
balor123's "30 minutes or less" claim is probably over-optimistic, however I will point out that McNeil/183 is another 5 miles north from Mopac/183 (a 50% longer trip). Your trip was also with the commuting traffic, while if balor123 is heading south at that time, he's actually against it. Mopac/183 to South Austin (if you define South Austin as _just_ south of the river) is doable in 30 minutes at 5 pm. I'd never guarantee it, however, and I'd always allow myself extra time.

Old 04-23-2015, 01:38 PM

174 posts, read 311,958 times
Depends on which location you will be based at. My significant other works for the Apple group (small group of engineers) that are off of 360 and bee caves essentially. We live in Southwest Austin. Typically it takes him 15 -20 minutes to get to work and about 20 to get home (he leaves at 905am and comes back around 630-7).

If you're based at the north place I would definitely recommend living up near there - that commute would be awful from where we are, although he purposely leaves outside of awful traffic times. We live 15 minutes or so from downtown (no traffic). Honestly, I really like our location.

Old 04-23-2015, 01:49 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,130,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
Co-worker lives up off of Duval near 183/Mopac and works with me down near MoPac/360. It only takes 30 minutes or less if he comes in off of peak hours, near peak is 30-45. Going home often takes him an hour or more during peak traffic. This is about as up-to-date as you can get, I just walked down the hall and asked him. He has been making that commute for 7 or 8 years now, and he says it just slowly gets worse. He has some faint hope that the new lane on MoPac will help, at least temporarily.
duval is not really near 183/mopac. If he lives at 183/duval that is a significant amount of time to get from 360/183 to 183/duval

mopac I think is generally faster so if he lives near duval/mopac it would be less of an issue.

Same with mcneil and 183, it is *far* from 183/mopac.

I live in great hills which is 183/360 and I can pretty much get anywhere in about 45 minutes or less even during rush hour (obviously not far south)

Old 04-23-2015, 01:56 PM

163 posts, read 158,910 times
I work at Apple. The younger employees, I included, which is around 60 percent of the workforce, live in central Austin, downtown or close to downtown. The remainder with kids live all over. A lot in west lake. A lot in circle C. A lot in mueller, northwest hills and arboretum.

Old 04-23-2015, 02:01 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,642,308 times
Quote:
duval is not really near 183/mopac.
True, but almost no one lives right at 183/mopac...maybe Westover area to the SW of it? The rest is non-residential. So Balor may live south of 183 off of MoPac somewhere, but that is getting a bit further from that intersection as well, and closer to DT. The co-worker of mine lives in Balcones Woods, so they are actually closer than Duval (maybe 2 miles from 183/MP?). I have a co-worker who lives off of Rain Creek Parkway somewhere, but they are not in the office today. I suspect that the drive through Great Hills takes a bit of time in of itself.

Old 04-23-2015, 02:45 PM

1 posts, read 993 times
Everyone of course has different preferences depending on lifestyle, income, need for schools etc. but I see many Apple Employees that choose to live in Anderson Mill and Millwood (both in Round Rock ISD). Cedar Park neighborhoods (Leander ISD) with easy access to 620, 183 and 45 toll are also desirable.

Old 04-23-2015, 02:55 PM

2,602 posts, read 2,980,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
True, but almost no one lives right at 183/mopac...maybe Westover area to the SW of it?
Or North Shoal Creek, to the SE of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin