Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2017, 02:58 AM

1,047 posts, read 727,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franko View Post
City Data lists an average house in San Antonio at $145,000. City Data lists the average house in Austin at $305,000. This is where I got the housing costs in Austin at double that in San Antonio.
I looked a lot in Austin & did rent there before. If you can handle being 10 miles from downtown you can find a 3 bed 2 bath 1300 sq ft or bigger for 200k. Some want to be within 6 miles of downtown and then you are in 300k range.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2017, 10:08 AM

Default All of y'all Please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raskolnikov View Post
It depends on how many more people move here who don't appreciate Austin and wish it to be more like California.
I honestly don't understand this. I often hear all these Californians are moving to Austin and changing it. But 90% you meet in CA., are not from there. And each neighborhood (mile to mile) changes so much not to mention the entire large state. How or why do so many blame CA for what they dislike about Austin? Thanks for your opinions.

Old 11-15-2017, 04:04 PM

15,651 posts, read 10,413,163 times
I'm noticing more car honkers on the roads and rude Yankee grocery shoppers so I would guess not long. Once the rest of polite texans leave Austin the city will be **** just like all liberal cities.

Last edited by texan2yankee; 11-15-2017 at 04:17 PM..

Old 11-16-2017, 12:48 AM

Default reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
I'm noticing more car honkers on the roads and rude Yankee grocery shoppers so I would guess not long. Once the rest of polite texans leave Austin the city will be **** just like all liberal cities.
I noticed a lot of friendliness in other parts of TX but last in Austin, about 7 years ago I didn't see any Southern hospitality. I saw a lot of anemic wannabe hipsters. And then the ones w money in the highrises downtown acted like self entitled brats. I am FROM DFW. So Austin was not country to me and friendly. I did like the small size of it at the time. I do consider going back but certainly not for the friendliness.

Old 11-16-2017, 12:49 AM

Nobody has yet to answer my question why you keep comparing Austin to Ca., a state that has nearly nobody from CA. living in it. I wish to know what this CA is a metaphor for, in reality, to y'all ? Thanks

Old 11-16-2017, 12:53 AM

Quote:
The honking could be b/c the cost of living went way up in Austin and even the locals are stressed. My best friend in Dallas honks the horn alot. He moved an hour away from Dallas and has calmed down. It is not just Yankees that honk.

Old 11-16-2017, 11:16 AM

2,134 posts, read 2,121,791 times
Quote:
It has nothing to do with politics. Portland, OR is very liberal, yet their drivers are way more courteous to pedestrians and cyclists than down in TX. Not every "Yankee" is liberal either.

Old 11-16-2017, 11:39 AM

15,273 posts, read 35,667,143 times
Quote:
Throw the book at them!
Subchapter J, Section 547.501- Audible Warning Devices
Quote:
a) A motor vehicle shall be equipped with a horn in good working condition that emits a sound audible under normal conditions at a distance of at least 200 feet.

(b) A vehicle may not be equipped with and a person may not use on a vehicle a siren, whistle, or bell unless the vehicle is:

(1) a commercial vehicle that is equipped with a theft alarm signal device arranged so that the device cannot be used as an ordinary warning signal; or

(2) an authorized emergency vehicle that is equipped with a siren, whistle, or bell that complies with Section 547.702.

(c) A motor vehicle operator shall use a horn to provide audible warning only when necessary to insure safe operation.

(d) A warning device, including a horn, may not emit an unreasonably loud or harsh sound or a whistle.
It is apparently occasionally used to cite 'road rage' types that are honking in stopped traffic, etc.

Old 11-17-2017, 06:19 AM

Default reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTXman34 View Post
It has nothing to do with politics. Portland, OR is very liberal, yet their drivers are way more courteous to pedestrians and cyclists than down in TX. Not every "Yankee" is liberal either.
True. Plenty of New Yorkers are not Liberal. NYC has many boroughs. Manhattan people may tend to be more liberal but Staten Island, Queens, upstate NY, etc lean toward very conservative.
New Yorkers are the most sincere people I've ever known. I know tourist go to the tourist spots so they don't get to know real New Yorkers.
I have also heard that Portland drivers are overly polite when it comes to driving. There is a parody on the show PORTLANDIA. I asked friends that lived there and they said the parody was not exaggerated.

Old 11-21-2017, 10:17 PM

1,427 posts, read 1,187,647 times
Default More honking, please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly_me View Post
The honking could be b/c the cost of living went way up in Austin and even the locals are stressed. My best friend in Dallas honks the horn alot. He moved an hour away from Dallas and has calmed down. It is not just Yankees that honk.
There are LOTS of worse behaviors exhibited by Austin drivers than honking. I'd take more honking IF: more people would use their blinkers when turning or changing lanes; if more people would come to a full stop at intersections; if more people would move safely around bicyclists and pedestrians who are in the street for whatever reason; AND, you get the idea.
There is one new reason for increased horn use that I can think of: cel phones; people staring at them when the light turns green.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin