Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2015, 11:27 AM

494 posts, read 540,935 times

Advertisements

Austin is great, just getting a little expensive. My recommendation is to live near wherever you will be working if possible, just like any other big city. My other standard advice for newcomers is try to live closer in to downtown / UT as it will be easier to make friends and have a busy social life.

For biking the west side is the hilly side, east side of town gets pretty flat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2015, 01:04 PM

6,707 posts, read 8,823,737 times
Definitely a shortage of tostones (fried plaintains) in San Antonio as opposed to PR where they even sell them at Burger King. I love those.

Old 10-26-2015, 01:29 PM

13,454 posts, read 15,585,558 times
I have to say that there is a difference food wise between Puerto Rican and other Spanish Caribbean food and Mexican. My husband is Mexican American, so I've sampled both cuisines and its more than "pork, beans and rice". The beans used are different. Mexican doesn't use saffron flavored rice, so the arroz con pollo here is different. Due to the region, Spanish Caribbean food uses a lot of tropical ingredients and things that aren't found in most parts of Mexico. As Azure said, no fried plaintains either.

Old 10-26-2015, 02:03 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,822,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
I have to say that there is a difference food wise between Puerto Rican and other Spanish Caribbean food and Mexican. My husband is Mexican American, so I've sampled both cuisines and its more than "pork, beans and rice". The beans used are different. Mexican doesn't use saffron flavored rice, so the arroz con pollo here is different. Due to the region, Spanish Caribbean food uses a lot of tropical ingredients and things that aren't found in most parts of Mexico. As Azure said, no fried plaintains either.
Of course I wasn't saying they're identical. I'm saying there are many parallels.

Old 10-26-2015, 02:11 PM

198 posts, read 320,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightytiki View Post
Hi guys, I considering leaving Puerto Rico due to its economic collapse. I've doing my fair part of research and Austin seems to be a match for me. The climate change won't be a shock for me, since I lived in the New England area when I was a kid and it was a pleasant experience. Though, I prefer 40F+ temperatures. I am 32, single with no kids, a huge sports fan (college football) and an avid cyclist which plays a big part on why I'm deciding on Austin. Are there any recommendations? The good, bad and the ugly (if any) of Austin?

Thanks!
Do you have a budget in mind? Also, what is your jobskill set (IT, admin, etc etc)

Old 10-26-2015, 02:31 PM

12,993 posts, read 13,456,673 times
Well mightytiki, my memories of Puerto Rico are a little out of date, as I lived in Old San Juan from 1950-1954.

Old 10-26-2015, 02:46 PM

738 posts, read 774,366 times
If you want coastal and year round riding Corpus is your best bet. There are group rides everyday before work and on the weekends. If you work Downtown and live along the waterfront riding to work is easy and has a good view of the bay. cccycleclub.com is the main hub and can help find you riding groups that fit your style and schedule. If you do choose Austin definitely go to Corpus for conquer the coast COURSES

Old 10-28-2015, 10:19 AM

16,786 posts, read 49,235,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightytiki View Post
Thanks for the input. I really don't mind about not having around a big puertorrican community nor related business. I do prefer a change of scenery.

The high competition for jobs and high rents are my daily bread and butter in Puerto Rico, not to mention the high tax rates and low pay wages/salaries.

What surrounding neighborhoods would you recommend? I read the public transportation system is not that great, can I commute on my bike with ease? How are the crime rates? (I imagine they should be a lot lower than in PR).

Thanks!
You really should read the Welcome to Austin sticky thread at the top of the forum, all of your questions are answered there.

Old 10-28-2015, 01:07 PM

6 posts, read 7,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
I don't really see the association between SA and PR either other than both have a Hispanic majority. SA is decidedly "Tex-Mex" whereas PR has a Spanish Caribbean culture. Both are very different.

OP, I'm not a boricua, but have been raised with people from PR a good chunk of my life since I was born and raised in "El Bronx". I'm half Brasilian actually, but I do enjoy the urban latino scene and have several PR/Dominican friends. The biggest adjustments, I think, will be food (latin food here is Mexican which is very different from the Caribbean food you're used to) and culture. Not saying that you enjoy this, but I really do like reggaeton/urban latino music and there is a dearth of that here. However, that's why there are such things as iPhones with music.

So there's no reggaton in Austin? Even better!

Old 10-28-2015, 01:09 PM

6 posts, read 7,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackalope48 View Post
If you want coastal and year round riding Corpus is your best bet. There are group rides everyday before work and on the weekends. If you work Downtown and live along the waterfront riding to work is easy and has a good view of the bay. cccycleclub.com is the main hub and can help find you riding groups that fit your style and schedule. If you do choose Austin definitely go to Corpus for conquer the coast COURSES
Thanks! I'll definitely check that out!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin