Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 09:12 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,058,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Due to our geriatric 10-year-old Doberman, we have been rejected at every turn.
Be proactive in how you present yourself and your dog. Some of us are just going to say "no thanks", period, but the times I have been swayed have been when the people provided more information such as pictures, vet records, written references specifically about the dog from former landlords, etc.

Don't call a property manager and start right off asking "will you take my big doberman?". Call and provide some of the (hopefully) positive information about you as a renter, your great credit, income, why your moving, etc., then say, "and we also have a Doberman, and I know the word "Doberman" is not well received by many landlords but I'll be happpy to bring pictures, vet records and references when we meet you to see the property".

You stand a much better chance when you realize your trying to sell the idea of accepting you dog to the landlord. Embarrassingly few renters approach the effort from this standpoint.

Good luck.

Steve
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2008, 11:57 AM

6 posts, read 16,763 times
steve,
unfortunately, we have been dealing with a young real estate agent assigned to us by our relocation company and have had no direct contact with property owners or managers. all our rejections have been passed along to us by the agent. this is why i am forging ahead with my own search.
thank you kindly for your advice.

Old 02-06-2008, 12:28 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,058,399 times
Well, your agent can do the same thing, though like I said, some of us would just say no no matter what, but others are more flexible if they have more information.

Good luck!!

Steve

Old 02-06-2008, 01:12 PM

204 posts, read 1,485,225 times
Mangotreeinbloom,

I dont know exactly what you are looking for in an apartment and I dont know if listing the name of a complex is allowed on the forums (apologies to the moderator if not), but I have a suggestion. Have you looked into the Bridgehead Condominium Apartments? I was going to move to Austin back in November and they are a very dog-friendly place. The appliances are not as new but the construction is good. They have a walking trail nearby which is great for dogs. There was a guy at his wits end trying to find an apartment that would accept him and his great dane and the complex didnt mind at all. So, that is my suggestion. Granted, I don't know if its in the general area you want to live but the commute is not far at all and the complex accepts large dogs. Good luck!!

Old 02-06-2008, 03:14 PM

180 posts, read 566,187 times
"Aggressive Breed List" ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin