Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2016, 02:13 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,642,308 times

Advertisements

MUD is Municipal Utility District, but it sounds like you have city water, so that would not apply. That bill may have garbage disposal on it if that is what the 'refuse' fee is. Not sure how to read your water usage without units, but those numbers are different by '34', so it is either 3,400 gallons (a pretty normal household usage w/o watering the lawn) or 34,000 gallons (very, very high unless you are watering an acre during August or have a leak). If it is 34,000 gallons for $170, then that is a good deal .

So, I will assume that you used 3,400 gal/month. Which, coincidentally, is exactly what we used from Feb-24 to Mar-25. Our bill shows for 3,400 gallons:
Water - $24.30
Wastewater - $34.02
Total - $58.32

We also have other fees on our CoA bill, though, that may or may not be on yours:
Street service, Drainage Service, Solid Waste (garbage pickup), and Clean Community Service. Those add up to about $53 more.

FWIW, electric was $67 on that bill, making our total utility bill ~$179 without gas, which is very very small this time of year (~$30, but half that or more is fees).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2016, 02:24 PM

501 posts, read 1,192,252 times
Here's what our water bill shows: (Refuse is our garbage)

Usage 1232 Start ; 1266 End

Water Minimum Charge $41.23
Water Usage Charge $47.44
WW Minimum Charge $19.99
WW Service Charge $21.40
Refuse Collection $16.39
Refuse Franchise Fee $3.44
Tax $4.52
Refuse Admin Fee $3.63
TOTAL: $158.04

I still can't understand why it's SO high!! Like I said in the original post, we've never paid over $70 for water!

Our electric (Pedernales) was only $85, which was unexpectedly low as we are used to paying $130-$300. I can only imagine what it will be during the summer! And we don't have gas, so no worries there!

Old 05-10-2016, 03:23 PM

578 posts, read 1,228,020 times
I would call the city and find out the units. City of Buda water is by the thousand, so if that was my bill it would mean 34,000 gallons. City of Kyle water isn't known for having high water rates so I think you were billed for 34,000 gallons. You could also go check your water meter and read the units. If they are significantly higher than the end reading from your last bill, chances are you have a leak. You can also not use any water for 30min and make note of the reading before and after that time period. If the number has changed, then you know you have a leak somewhere...

Old 05-10-2016, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by die Eichkatze View Post
I would call the city and find out the units. City of Buda water is by the thousand, so if that was my bill it would mean 34,000 gallons. City of Kyle water isn't known for having high water rates so I think you were billed for 34,000 gallons. You could also go check your water meter and read the units. If they are significantly higher than the end reading from your last bill, chances are you have a leak. You can also not use any water for 30min and make note of the reading before and after that time period. If the number has changed, then you know you have a leak somewhere...
Austin does it like his shows, however - the bill in in units of '100s', even though they state the price in per 1000 gallons.

Them minimum fees are.....eye-popping, to say the least. That is what is getting you.

Old 05-10-2016, 04:44 PM

658 posts, read 2,006,989 times
Yep, high fees are the culprit and will never be any lower. My daughter in "Meadows of Buda" has over $100 in fees before the water is even added in.

Old 05-11-2016, 01:43 PM

My city of buda bill which includes water, wastewater and trash averages $100 a month using ~5,000 gallons a month...roughly $30 for water, $50 for sewer, $20 for trash.

Old 05-11-2016, 02:33 PM

Quote:
City of Kyle water isn't known for having high water rates
Actually, water rates is the primary reason my in-laws scratched Kyle off their list of possible retirement locations. This article is a couple years old, but note the minimum use fees:

https://communityimpact.com/austin/c...e-increases-2/

die Eichkatze's Buda total water bill is about 2/3 of the stated minimum fee in that article (which is close, but different, than 'from nv's' minimum fee now).

I just went to the city of Kyle utility page and opened up their rate sheet. It is for FY14-15, so I am not sure if there is a newer one out there and, if so, where it is. But, the minimum fees for water and wastewater service 'outside the city limit' look very close to what you have on your bill. And the waste water service charge looks ballpark right (a few dollars high based on this rate sheet); however, your water looks to be double what it seems it should be?

Check out the rate sheet PDF, the last few pages (12-14):
Utility Rate Information | City of Kyle Texas Official Website

If that IS the right rate sheet, then I don't know why you don't match up exactly, though.

Edit: It appears that Kyle started FY15-16 on October 1st, so there should(?) be a newer rate sheet out?

Last edited by Trainwreck20; 05-11-2016 at 02:46 PM..

Old 05-11-2016, 09:54 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
Check your meter for a possible leak in your water lines. Turn off everything in the house then go look at your meter. If you see any movement in a little red triangle on your meter that indicates that water if flowing through the meter, so you have a leak somewhere.
@from NV... have you tried this simple test?

It is easy to do and could quickly tell you if there is a water leak in the plumbing leading to the house or under the slab.

Last edited by CptnRn; 05-11-2016 at 10:03 PM..

Old 05-12-2016, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
Actually, water rates is the primary reason my in-laws scratched Kyle off their list of possible retirement locations. This article is a couple years old, but note the minimum use fees:

https://communityimpact.com/austin/c...e-increases-2/

die Eichkatze's Buda total water bill is about 2/3 of the stated minimum fee in that article (which is close, but different, than 'from nv's' minimum fee now).

I just went to the city of Kyle utility page and opened up their rate sheet. It is for FY14-15, so I am not sure if there is a newer one out there and, if so, where it is. But, the minimum fees for water and wastewater service 'outside the city limit' look very close to what you have on your bill. And the waste water service charge looks ballpark right (a few dollars high based on this rate sheet); however, your water looks to be double what it seems it should be?

Check out the rate sheet PDF, the last few pages (12-14):
Utility Rate Information | City of Kyle Texas Official Website

If that IS the right rate sheet, then I don't know why you don't match up exactly, though.

Edit: It appears that Kyle started FY15-16 on October 1st, so there should(?) be a newer rate sheet out?
Parts of Kyle are run by a private water company, and the same thing with Buda. Which is why you need to be careful when buying a home in the area. Same thing in the Wimberley/Woodcreek area. Woodcreek north is served by Aqua Texas and their rates before a drop of water is delivered is absurd...around $150 a month pre water. But parts of Woodcreek and Wimberley are served by Wimberley Water Supply and have much lower rates.

Kyle also has almost double the city tax rate as Buda.

Old 05-12-2016, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Parts of Kyle are run by a private water company, and the same thing with Buda. Which is why you need to be careful when buying a home in the area. Same thing in the Wimberley/Woodcreek area. Woodcreek north is served by Aqua Texas and their rates before a drop of water is delivered is absurd...around $150 a month pre water. But parts of Woodcreek and Wimberley are served by Wimberley Water Supply and have much lower rates.

Kyle also has almost double the city tax rate as Buda.
Yes, but the OP is getting billed by the City of Kyle, so those rate sheets should apply.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin