Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2017, 10:19 AM

7,736 posts, read 4,984,285 times

Advertisements

200k and under? You are a couple years late... maybe if your lucky you can find something .. we were buying a couple years ago and going against 20 people... luckily we lucked out with a HUD foreclosure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2017, 10:20 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,095,392 times
Yes, if I was looking towards the future, I would bet on Hays CISD! Especially for people whose future children aren't even born yet.

Old 09-08-2017, 10:35 AM

16 posts, read 21,760 times
I would choose Lockhart.

Old 09-08-2017, 10:47 AM

668 posts, read 783,128 times
Another thought--is there anything in this price range in Liberty Hill?

Old 09-08-2017, 11:07 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
You mentioned Temple/Belton and you absolutely can find houses in those towns in your price range. I know, I've shown several of them recently. For that matter, they are scarce on the ground but I have a client who just went under contract on a home in Georgetown for just under $200,000 and Georgetown has Lake Georgetown and the Good Water Trail (26 acre hiking/mountain biking trail that goes from San Gabriel Park all the way to and around the lake). Older home, but convenient to everything. What prices will be in a couple of years I can't say, but the smart money is betting on them continuing to rise. Belton is a lovely little undiscovered town.

I can't say what would be a good school for your yet-to-be-born children - heck, the school that was awesome for our son would have been a disaster for our daughter and vice versa, and those were two kids from the same parents in the same family! You'd need to examine the schools yourself for that.

Jarrell still has houses in the $200,000 and lower range available, both new built and resale, but prices are going up there as well. (I know, I live on a little ranch five minutes from town.)

If you want to consider REALLY small towns, you might think about Thrall (far east, has a surprisingly good rating on its schools and they have a good reputation though I can't speak to them personally) if you can find something available. But it is a VERY small town.

Lockhart/Bastrop area is lovely and there are several small towns down in that area. You're going to find lower prices east than west of I35, but better soil.

There's really lots of options in the relatively large area you've mentioned.

Old 09-08-2017, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eirenecat View Post
Another thought--is there anything in this price range in Liberty Hill?
At the moment, 1. With a couple others built in the 1950's-1960's pending. Liberty Hill is a pretty hot little area right now.

Old 09-08-2017, 11:20 AM

202 posts, read 352,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
You mentioned Temple/Belton and you absolutely can find houses in those towns in your price range. I know, I've shown several of them recently. For that matter, they are scarce on the ground but I have a client who just went under contract on a home in Georgetown for just under $200,000 and Georgetown has Lake Georgetown and the Good Water Trail (26 acre hiking/mountain biking trail that goes from San Gabriel Park all the way to and around the lake). Older home, but convenient to everything. What prices will be in a couple of years I can't say, but the smart money is betting on them continuing to rise. Belton is a lovely little undiscovered town.

I can't say what would be a good school for your yet-to-be-born children - heck, the school that was awesome for our son would have been a disaster for our daughter and vice versa, and those were two kids from the same parents in the same family! You'd need to examine the schools yourself for that.

Jarrell still has houses in the $200,000 and lower range available, both new built and resale, but prices are going up there as well. (I know, I live on a little ranch five minutes from town.)

If you want to consider REALLY small towns, you might think about Thrall (far east, has a surprisingly good rating on its schools and they have a good reputation though I can't speak to them personally) if you can find something available. But it is a VERY small town.

Lockhart/Bastrop area is lovely and there are several small towns down in that area. You're going to find lower prices east than west of I35, but better soil.

There's really lots of options in the relatively large area you've mentioned.
TexasHorseLady...my husband really likes Bastrop...but it seems as if it's hard to find anything under 200k!! I have a lot of interest in Belton. I keep hearing mixed things but it seems like a great little community...and housing a decent price lol! I like living close to Austin, but not IN Austin. Anything I need I can just drive a hour-hour and a half and it's there.

We would want to buy a home next summer, but is it better to do so in the winter here?? Or is the market hot hot hot year round????

Old 09-08-2017, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katiev111 View Post
TexasHorseLady...my husband really likes Bastrop...but it seems as if it's hard to find anything under 200k!! I have a lot of interest in Belton. I keep hearing mixed things but it seems like a great little community...and housing a decent price lol! I like living close to Austin, but not IN Austin. Anything I need I can just drive a hour-hour and a half and it's there.

We would want to buy a home next summer, but is it better to do so in the winter here?? Or is the market hot hot hot year round????
There used to be a regular rhythm to the market, but with so many people moving into the area, it's not really behaving "properly" - for example, I had a buyer just go under contract and I'm writing two more offers for buyers today and I have others looking, and things are supposed to slow down after school starts but somehow the market didn't get the memo! However, spring/summer is traditionally a busy time (people wanting to move in the summer while school is out) and slower in the holiday season (people are too busy to look, or don't want the bother of having their home on the market and showing during the Thanksgiving/Christmas holidays, but those that do either are showing that they are serious buyers or sellers). I guess the "my crystal ball is in the shop permanently" answer to your question is that winter is a better time to buy than summer, but it depends.

Old 09-08-2017, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
There used to be a regular rhythm to the market, but with so many people moving into the area, it's not really behaving "properly" - for example, I had a buyer just go under contract and I'm writing two more offers for buyers today and I have others looking, and things are supposed to slow down after school starts but somehow the market didn't get the memo! However, spring/summer is traditionally a busy time (people wanting to move in the summer while school is out) and slower in the holiday season (people are too busy to look, or don't want the bother of having their home on the market and showing during the Thanksgiving/Christmas holidays, but those that do either are showing that they are serious buyers or sellers). I guess the "my crystal ball is in the shop permanently" answer to your question is that winter is a better time to buy than summer, but it depends.
Thank you!!! Keeping my fingers crossed that prices are still reasonable next winter (we just signed a lease for our apartment so we can't buy this year) ...but who knows :/

Old 09-08-2017, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelina View Post
I would choose Lockhart.

Is lockhart a decent place? I have heard mixed things!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin