Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2017, 09:35 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,387,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katiev111 View Post
Approx. where 290 meets 183...going out towards Elgin.
So east would be your best bet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2017, 11:14 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,472,326 times
Quote:
Approx. where 290 meets 183...going out towards Elgin.
I didn't grow up in Austin, and I have no kids, so I don't know anything about the schools in this region. Manor, Round Rock, Elgin and Pflugerville are nearby. Someone told me that the commute from Cedar Park wasn't that bad; it was definitely shorter than my commute from South Austin. I'm assuming those cities might not have many houses in your budget, though. I don't know. I, personally, wouldn't want to commute from Bastrop. The commute from Taylor might be tolerable; Hutto is closer.

Congratulations on the new job! Don't count on getting a telework position in a year. It could take longer. They have a requirement to keep a certain number of workers onsite, so the telework positions only account for about 50% or less of all the positions. The process to get a telework position is competitive, and an opening might not come up right after your anniversary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Approximately where is the job located? State jobs are all over the place in the Austin area, not just downtown. (I know, I've worked them!)
I should have been more specific. Most of the DFPS jobs are on the north side.

Old 09-23-2017, 08:35 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,121,973 times
Quote:
I am, and I just got the job today lol. So definitely things to think about. There is the option to telework after awhile, but yeah I just don't know how I can afford to live somewhere with a shorter commute. We really have no choice but to move out to a different town if we want to own a home. Renting is always still an option I suppose.
Sendero hills would be a good choice. The houses are around 1300 sq ft and running about 100/sq ft.

Colony park is going to be a new mueller style development that will give the house a bump. Plus it is already close to down and all the central austin tech. Eventually that area will be "discovered" by the masses.

windsor hills/north lamar is probably the "roughest" area in town (rundberg). But those neighborhoods will eventually pop too. They are really close to the domain and will slowly get infill redevelopment.

Old 09-23-2017, 05:03 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,544,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
Sendero hills would be a good choice. The houses are around 1300 sq ft and running about 100/sq ft.
A different Sendero Hills, I reckon:

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...ills_Austin_TX

• 6213 Toscana Ave, Austin
  • $335,000
  • 3 beds
  • 2 baths
  • 1,600 sq ft
  • 7,928 sq ft lot

Old 09-23-2017, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
A different Sendero Hills, I reckon:

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...ills_Austin_TX

• 6213 Toscana Ave, Austin
  • $335,000
  • 3 beds
  • 2 baths
  • 1,600 sq ft
  • 7,928 sq ft lot
I thought the whole area along sendero hills pkwy was sendero hills. One house for example is meadows at trinity crossing. Essentially the same neighborhood.

Old 09-24-2017, 08:03 AM

9,848 posts, read 13,689,106 times
Quote:

Colony park is going to be a new mueller style development that will give the house a bump. Plus it is already close to down and all the central austin tech. Eventually that area will be "discovered" by the masses.

windsor hills/north lamar is probably the "roughest" area in town (rundberg). But those neighborhoods will eventually pop too. They are really close to the domain and will slowly get infill redevelopment.
Are you thinking sendero hills as in 78724 sendero hills off of Loyola or another? That is a cheaper area. The schools are not good though. The schools in the rundberg area are going through some changes and may be good in the future, but still not good either.

Old 09-24-2017, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
Are you thinking sendero hills as in 78724 sendero hills off of Loyola or another? That is a cheaper area. The schools are not good though. The schools in the rundberg area are going through some changes and may be good in the future, but still not good either.
Well something has got to give. My thought is that these areas will end up appreciating faster than the suburbs. If they buy for 180K now they may be at 360K in 10 years and then can more easily afford the suburbs with good schools.

They dont have kids now, so can move to possibly gentrifying areas.

Old 09-24-2017, 05:44 PM

9,848 posts, read 13,689,106 times
Quote:
Well something has got to give. My thought is that these areas will end up appreciating faster than the suburbs. If they buy for 180K now they may be at 360K in 10 years and then can more easily afford the suburbs with good schools.

I agree. The only Co I see if 78724 is that it's not close to things like HEB (unless you count the one on Manor and ed bluestein). The rundberg area is closer to other stuff.

Old 09-25-2017, 08:09 AM

1,073 posts, read 2,094,044 times
I don't have time to do the research right now, but there are a few older and newer subdivisions right off Dessau and Parmer that might still have some reasonably priced homes. The older subdivision I'm talking about are DR Horton homes, I think. I'm not sure if the area is necessary desirable, and I can't say that the schools are the best in PISD, but the commute to work won't be that bad.

The newer subdivision I'm talking about is somewhere east on Parmer. Again, I'm not sure about the schools, but I'd imagine the commute won't be that bad.

Old 09-25-2017, 09:23 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,544,472 times
Quote:

I agree...something has got to give!

That's quite the gamble. Living in a gentrifying area is no walk in the park. Living in a "possibly" gentrifying area is a crapshoot.

I get your point; but dang if I want to live between a teardown that hasn't yet been torn down and construction for the foreseeable future all around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin