Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 03:45 PM

5 posts, read 16,826 times

Advertisements

My family (myself, my wife and my two girls, 9 and 6) are planning to move to Austin/RR or Georgetown but the houses we have looked at in the 200-250k range never seem to have any swimming pools built in? There are a few but not as many as I would have thought given the awesome weather, HEAT!
Can anyone lend a hand in the why's? Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2008, 04:08 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,650,196 times
In a word - rock......do a forum search on swimming pools.....

Old 03-19-2008, 04:08 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,420,086 times
Barton Springs? Lakes?

Seriously, some areas have rock close enough below the soil that it's very expensive to build a pool. A lot of communities have their own community pool and people would rather preserve their back yard space. Lots of reasons, really.

That being said, a quick search using only your price criteria ($250,000 or less) and Georgetown/Round Rock areas turned up 26 homes with pools (didn't check for in ground or above ground pool type).

Old 03-19-2008, 04:12 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,885,842 times
Probably because builders hardly ever put in a pool.. they are almost all aftermarket installed by owners, correct? That being the case, I'd expect them to be somewhat more rare in very new communities... and perhaps the credit crunch adds to that. People are paying so much for their housing payment, they aren't as willing take on additional debt for a pool.

Not sure if that is what is happening, though... I guess the pool industry would be complaining if it were, and I don't hear much about that.

Old 03-19-2008, 04:24 PM

681 posts, read 2,913,771 times
Apparently in many areas expensive blasting is required to facilitate in-ground installation, seriously driving up the cost, etc. etc. 'Nuff said?

Old 03-19-2008, 09:02 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,650,196 times
A typical nice but normal in ground pool in the rock area probably costs ~$40,000 - $50,000.

Old 03-20-2008, 08:33 AM

1,618 posts, read 6,618,273 times
Trust me; I know it's pretty weird, huh? IMHO, pools should be standard in every house in Austin

I used to own 4 boats and 2 Jet Ski’s in the past.
I decided in 2006 to sell off my previous boat, which was a 22' FourWinns Deck Boat and build a pool.
As much as I love the Highland Lakes and enjoyed tubing, water skiing and just anchor the boat out either at Devil's Cove or any coves, I just felt it was getting too much to operate and service. To top it off boat ramp fees were getting up in price and then all the idiots that cannot back up or trailer-up a boat @ the boat ramp just took up so much time away. Then it would cost me about $140.00 to fill up a 50-gallon gas tank @ the pumps. Boats, which average get about 3mpg-6mpg is not cheap to play with, then doing it every summer weekend is very expensive. Cleaning and storing them was also no fun! It was getting very frustrating overall!

Since we sold it, we got our pool installed and then educating myself about pool cleaning and chemicals. I have been in total shock of how high the bacteria levels are at in the lakes. Trust me, it's off the charts! By saying that; go w/ a pool. It's nice to have lakes and it's beautiful and all but now that I own a pool I will never jump in that crusty, nasty water @ our lakes!
Coming out of my pool, I know I am safe, it’s clean and my family smiles are still there!

Old 03-20-2008, 08:45 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,420,086 times
You're reminding me of when my sister (12 years older) was a toddler and my mother found her eating dirt. She rushed her to the doctor, who examined her, and then said, "Hmmm, must be something in it she needs." So when I came along, was a toddler (living at a church camp with an 80 acre lake) and started eating dirt, she just shrugged.

Recent studies have shown that children who grow up in extremely clean environments (using all the antibacterial "stuff" availbale now, etc.) have twice the incidence of childhood illnesses and allergies as children who grow up on farms. (And, as the researchers said regarding the microscopic examination of bedding, regarding the bedding of farm children, "You don't want to know what we found on the sheets!")

So, a high bacteria count is not necessarily all bad. Seems our immune system needs something to work with to develop itself properly (think training so you'll be in shape for the marathon).

Old 03-20-2008, 08:57 AM

347 posts, read 1,567,777 times
A lot of neighborhoods have nice pools, too. I can't really justify putting one in when I can walk two blocks away and use one for free (well, not exactly free, but you know what I mean.)

Old 03-20-2008, 08:59 AM

1,618 posts, read 6,618,273 times
I still remember the times when we knew people w/ tied up w/ at Devils Cove and they would say" Ok, times to get back into the water and take a leak"; yuck!!

Now I know why the water was much warmer in the coves :P
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin