Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 09:59 PM

338 posts, read 1,368,854 times

Advertisements

For those of us who are not familiar with Austin, could those of you who are posting photos share some labels with them with maybe a directional note so we might have a better understanding of what it is we are seeing? It would be really great - the photos are GREAT! It'd just be nice to know what or where it is I'm seeing. THANK YOU!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2008, 04:48 PM

2,357 posts, read 7,897,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustT&Me View Post
For those of us who are not familiar with Austin, could those of you who are posting photos share some labels with them with maybe a directional note so we might have a better understanding of what it is we are seeing? It would be really great - the photos are GREAT! It'd just be nice to know what or where it is I'm seeing. THANK YOU!
Sorry to get back to you so late. I was down at South Padre for the weekend getting some beach time

Anyway, here's labels for the pics I posted earlier, from left to right, top to bottom:

-Shops on South Congress(SoCo)
-On the rooftop of Momo's downtown.
-street sign says it all
-SoCo
-Rounders pizza on W 6th
-Doc's on SoCo
-Looking south from E. 7th(I think...trying to remember)

Here's a few more with labels:
-hill country off of 71 west
-abandoned vintage filling station on Lavaca(I think)
-Iron Stone Bank building on Congress downtown
-Looking up at the Monarch and 360 condo buildings from the Shoal Creek trail
-Sticky Fingers rock n' roll boutique
-Wiggy's liquor W.6th
Attached Thumbnails
Pictures of Austin -- not touristy-off-71.jpg   Pictures of Austin -- not touristy-vintage-filling-station.jpg   Pictures of Austin -- not touristy-ironstone-bank.jpg   Pictures of Austin -- not touristy-monarch-360.jpg   Pictures of Austin -- not touristy-sticky-fingers.jpg  

Pictures of Austin -- not touristy-wiggys.jpg  

Old 03-25-2008, 10:53 AM

97 posts, read 389,858 times
Oh I love this thread. Wonderful to see some pictures not made for a magazine to advertise for tourism.

Old 03-25-2008, 03:22 PM

338 posts, read 1,368,854 times
Default Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twange View Post
Sorry to get back to you so late. I was down at South Padre for the weekend getting some beach time
No problem. THANK YOU for the labels. Austin is one place I have spent very little time. I appreciate the photos and did not know it had such older-looking buildings. Very nice. Great idea for a thread! Feel welcome to send more.

Old 03-31-2008, 08:47 AM

Location: Originally Fayetteville, Arkansas/ now Seattle, Washington!
1,047 posts, read 3,946,409 times
Quote:

Anyway, here's labels for the pics I posted earlier, from left to right, top to bottom:

-Shops on South Congress(SoCo)
-On the rooftop of Momo's downtown.
-street sign says it all
-SoCo
-Rounders pizza on W 6th
-Doc's on SoCo
-Looking south from E. 7th(I think...trying to remember)

Here's a few more with labels:
-hill country off of 71 west
-abandoned vintage filling station on Lavaca(I think)
-Iron Stone Bank building on Congress downtown
-Looking up at the Monarch and 360 condo buildings from the Shoal Creek trail
-Sticky Fingers rock n' roll boutique
-Wiggy's liquor W.6th
Awesome pictures! That picture of the hill country is beautiful, reminds me of my hometown of Fayetteville Arkansas, but hills instead of small mountains(Ozarks there). Are there hills in town? Does Austin itself have beautiful hills within it? And the close suburbs? More pics please!

Old 03-31-2008, 09:26 AM

1,618 posts, read 6,615,518 times
Can't forget about the 360 bridge

Mansfield Dam bridge:

Boat marina on Lake Travis:

And of course why lots of people move to Austin; To live wealthy:

Relax:

Country creek:

Streaming water:

Luvly cow, maybe paint him Burnt Orange 'Hook'em Horns"

Old 03-31-2008, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The A-Team View Post
Awesome pictures! That picture of the hill country is beautiful, reminds me of my hometown of Fayetteville Arkansas, but hills instead of small mountains(Ozarks there). Are there hills in town? Does Austin itself have beautiful hills within it? And the close suburbs? More pics please!
The Hill Country officially begins right on the west side of town. Of course there are still hills all around the city as well. It really isn't pancake flat until you get farther east an north.

Here's a few more from the Sculpture Falls area about 10 minutes from downtown. These are from New Year's Day:
Attached Thumbnails
Pictures of Austin -- not touristy-sf1.jpg   Pictures of Austin -- not touristy-sf2.jpg   Pictures of Austin -- not touristy-sf3.jpg   Pictures of Austin -- not touristy-sf4.jpg  

Old 03-31-2008, 07:53 PM

Quote:
The Hill Country officially begins right on the west side of town. Of course there are still hills all around the city as well. It really isn't pancake flat until you get farther east an north.

Here's a few more from the Sculpture Falls area about 10 minutes from downtown. These are from New Year's Day:
Twange- Love your pictures! May I ask what model camera you are shooting with?

Old 03-31-2008, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike78613 View Post
Twange- Love your pictures! May I ask what model camera you are shooting with?
Thanks! I'm an enthusiastic amateur

Most of them are off an older 4MP Canon Powershot S45. It consistently blows away my wife's 6mp Fuji that her work gave her. Of course, I can't enlarge past 8X10 but for web photos it's great. The Canon takes very bright and brilliant photos. I think they make good lens sensors. Plus, I set my camera to take photos at the highest resolution. This gives you better quality but takes up more space since the files are larger. I also have to reduce them in size for a lot of websites, otherwise they take too long to load and are too wide for many monitors. But I think it's better to capture more on the intake and downsize later. If you have it set low to begin with, you can't "add" resolution later.

Old 04-01-2008, 12:05 AM

Cool. I have an old canon A85 that I passed on to my son.

I been shooting with a Panasonic FX50, but decided to join the dark side and got a Dslr. So I been working crazy to figure out all the functions on it (it's a lot to know). Well more pics soon to come
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: