Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2018, 08:11 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,893,961 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.JT View Post
I don't live there, but we looked before purchasing. The distance to everything, traffic...and SNAKES is what deterred us. We've seen a couple of snakes in our area, but none of them have been rattlers. From what I've heard, rattlesnakes are often sighted in Steiner Ranch. BIG issue for me.
Well the snakes keep the vermin at bay. I remember when I lived in the Northeast there were so many rats everywhere as it's not hot enough up there for snakes to thrive. Where snakes are, there are no rats!

A lot of neighbors freak out when they see a snake but I usually just let the snakes be, knowing that they do a great service to the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2018, 07:14 AM

1,073 posts, read 2,095,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Well the snakes keep the vermin at bay. I remember when I lived in the Northeast there were so many rats everywhere as it's not hot enough up there for snakes to thrive. Where snakes are, there are no rats!

A lot of neighbors freak out when they see a snake but I usually just let the snakes be, knowing that they do a great service to the area.

I hear you. Quite frankly, I'd prefer rats over snakes. And my issue, in particular, is with rattlesnakes. I might be mistaken, but it seems there are more rattlesnake sightings in the Steiner Ranch area. We have our fair share of snakes in our area, but I've yet to come across a rattlesnake.

Old 02-01-2018, 11:20 AM

1,549 posts, read 1,955,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
Yes, there are rattlesnakes; we've had several in our yard. However, I know people in Round Rock and Kyle who have also seen several in their yard, so this is not specific to Steiner. And I know loads more people who don't live in Steiner whose dogs have been bitten by rattlers.
This is a problem for all newer developments. You scrape and build homes on their natural habitat -- where do you expect them to go?

Old 02-01-2018, 11:30 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,484,806 times
Steiner is in the hill country, but to be honest rattlers are just about everywhere except for maybe downtown. Our development is over thirty years old and there are rattler, moccassin, and other sightings. They have adapted very well to human habitation

Old 02-01-2018, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Steiner is in the hill country, but to be honest rattlers are just about everywhere except for maybe downtown. Our development is over thirty years old and there are rattler, moccassin, and other sightings. They have adapted very well to human habitation
They are more prevalent in the Hill Country though, especially near a green belt.

Old 02-01-2018, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
Yes, there are rattlesnakes; we've had several in our yard. However, I know people in Round Rock and Kyle who have also seen several in their yard, so this is not specific to Steiner. And I know loads more people who don't live in Steiner whose dogs have been bitten by rattlers.

I'm just talking about MY experience. I'm sure we have them, but I have yet to encounter a rattlesnake in our area. I've heard of multiple incidents of rattlesnake sightings from people in Steiner Ranch. I believe the OP asked for both advantages and disadvantages. This was something that contributed to our decision to build elsewhere.

You've had several in your yard. I've had none in my yard. I never said it was "specific" to Steiner Ranch. I simply said that there seem to be MORE out there.

Old 02-01-2018, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
They are more prevalent in the Hill Country though, especially near a green belt.

Yes, this was the only point I was making. As much as we liked the area, I just couldn't deal...especially with a one year old who would eventually want to play in the backyard.

Funny story...when we were building, a guy was sold on Steiner Ranch after he saw our house when it was in its final stages of building. So he got the same house (for a higher price, of course) out in Steiner while we got ours out a slightly less press and less RATTLESNAKES. Monterey Homes owed us a commission check.

Old 02-01-2018, 05:30 PM

8,007 posts, read 10,430,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.JT View Post
I'm just talking about MY experience. I'm sure we have them, but I have yet to encounter a rattlesnake in our area. I've heard of multiple incidents of rattlesnake sightings from people in Steiner Ranch. I believe the OP asked for both advantages and disadvantages. This was something that contributed to our decision to build elsewhere.

You've had several in your yard. I've had none in my yard. I never said it was "specific" to Steiner Ranch. I simply said that there seem to be MORE out there.
We haven't seen one in probably 5 years. I have a friend in Forest Creek up in Round Rock who sees them in their yard regularly. East of 35 (so not Hill Country) and 20 year old house.

Old 02-01-2018, 05:58 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,130,727 times
i live in the hill country and am out a minimum of 2 times a week riding my bike, hiking, or doing trail work. In 20 years I have seen one. Not enough to be worth basing any decisions off of.

Old 02-01-2018, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
i live in the hill country and am out a minimum of 2 times a week riding my bike, hiking, or doing trail work. In 20 years I have seen one. Not enough to be worth basing any decisions off of.
I have almost been bitten by a rattlesnake biking in the trails around Steiner. It was in the middle of the trail and I was going on my mountain bike so fast I couldn't stop before it. I went around 1 foot to the right of it and lifted my legs as it struck my tire, popping it (and it got killed unfortunately as the tire rotated around and crushed the snakes head). I didn't dare touch anything as there was venom everywhere. Got my bike back, power washed it and bleached it and put it in the sun to dry. I went back to where the snake was with a shovel to properly bury it but it was gone. Did it live or did a scavenger get it? Who knows...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin