Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2018, 10:07 AM

1,548 posts, read 1,195,758 times

Advertisements

I think its better to go in person, armed with all the evidence, records, comps, whatever will support your case (and make sure you bring it all). I've done it both ways and always got better results going in person, because I could haggle with a real person with a back and forth conversation.

They would show me their evidence on their computer with maps, pics of comparable recent sells, sometimes with pics of the inside, outside and even of the comps yards - which were all parts of reasoning for their tax appraisal value. I more clearly understood their position after talking to an appraiser, and they more clearly understood mine.

A few times when we couldn't reach an agreement, the assessor suggested that we meet in the middle and let it go at that. Much better than outright losing which I would have done since I really knew they were in the right much of the time. This process never took more than 10 minutes, because they want you out of their cube as much as you do!

One year, which was the first year after buying my current house - they hiked it up so high that I had to at least TRY to fight it, even though I knew without that Homestead exemption in place, the rise was fair game. But I kept arguing with the guy and finally... finally he just sighed and asked "if I agree to half it, will you LEAVE?!? I laughed and said "Yep, I'm outta here!"

But here's really why I always go down in person nearly every year. The first time I went in with my first house and won my case, the appraiser gave me some good advice. He said that 95% of homeowners NEVER protest their tax appraisal and that a lot of them don't even realize that they CAN protest. He told me that I should gather comps and come every year, no matter what and that I'd be surprised at what I can negotiate. So I took that advice and have gone every year and usually get some relief - sometimes a pretty big reduction. I won't go this year because I only got a 2.5% hike which I think is more than reasonable. But these appraisers are real people that can be reasoned with most of the time. It's not all as cut and dried as people imagine. There really is some leeway they can show, and some ins and outs you learn in just talking to them. It's also taught me much about the fine skill of negotiation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2018, 01:53 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,134,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BijouBaby View Post
I think its better to go in person, armed with all the evidence, records, comps, whatever will support your case (and make sure you bring it all). I've done it both ways and always got better results going in person, because I could haggle with a real person with a back and forth conversation.

They would show me their evidence on their computer with maps, pics of comparable recent sells, sometimes with pics of the inside, outside and even of the comps yards - which were all parts of reasoning for their tax appraisal value. I more clearly understood their position after talking to an appraiser, and they more clearly understood mine.

A few times when we couldn't reach an agreement, the assessor suggested that we meet in the middle and let it go at that. Much better than outright losing which I would have done since I really knew they were in the right much of the time. This process never took more than 10 minutes, because they want you out of their cube as much as you do!

One year, which was the first year after buying my current house - they hiked it up so high that I had to at least TRY to fight it, even though I knew without that Homestead exemption in place, the rise was fair game. But I kept arguing with the guy and finally... finally he just sighed and asked "if I agree to half it, will you LEAVE?!? I laughed and said "Yep, I'm outta here!"

But here's really why I always go down in person nearly every year. The first time I went in with my first house and won my case, the appraiser gave me some good advice. He said that 95% of homeowners NEVER protest their tax appraisal and that a lot of them don't even realize that they CAN protest. He told me that I should gather comps and come every year, no matter what and that I'd be surprised at what I can negotiate. So I took that advice and have gone every year and usually get some relief - sometimes a pretty big reduction. I won't go this year because I only got a 2.5% hike which I think is more than reasonable. But these appraisers are real people that can be reasoned with most of the time. It's not all as cut and dried as people imagine. There really is some leeway they can show, and some ins and outs you learn in just talking to them. It's also taught me much about the fine skill of negotiation.
I tried two years in a row and did all the above. My house was the smallest in the neighborhood and was appraised comparable in total value to others that had 500 more sq ft. They said over and over "we only compare to houses of a similar square footage". I tried to explain, sure that makes sense on a per square ft basis, but how can my smaller house with no view appraise for the same as a house backing up to the greenbelt that is 500 sq ft larger on the same cul de sac?

They insisted on comparing to some similar size houses further away.

I was quite frustrating and I have used texas protax since.

Old 04-10-2018, 01:56 PM

743 posts, read 1,372,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
They charged 49% of any reduction they achieve.
They charged us less than that. Depends on the contract that you work out with them.

We tried twice on our own (armed with comps, etc) without results, but ProTax successfully got us a reduction. While you can pocket more if you do on your own, my experience has been better using them. YMMV.

Old 04-10-2018, 07:43 PM

1,780 posts, read 4,028,601 times
Quote:

We bought our house last year and got hit with a large increase this year. Would it make better sense to do comps to the sales prices of similar-sized homes in the neighborhood from the past year, or to appraised values of similar-sized homes?

Old 04-11-2018, 11:06 AM

216 posts, read 179,988 times
I bought house in RR 12/2016 302k and appraisal was 330k on 2017. Online protest drop it to 303k.
2018 seems to be 345k, capped by homestead to 331k. Neighbor bough similar floor plan about same time for 290k next door, this year they seem to be appraised for 365k. So protest seems to pay.

Not sure what value should I set for this year protest, but neighborhood has sales with lower dollar/sqf from current year so will ask for some discount

Old 04-11-2018, 04:24 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,559,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karpo1 View Post
Not sure what value should I set for this year protest, but neighborhood has sales with lower dollar/sqf from current year so will ask for some discount
No such "luck" in our hood. The sq ft resale value is almost exactly 50% HIGHER than we paid in 2013

I wonder if the "cads" take into account older vs updated mechanicals in appraisal protests. In other words, comparable homes may have sold for more $$$ based on having brand new $14k HVAC systems and $3-4k worth of new water heaters.

Old 04-11-2018, 05:46 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,083,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
They charged 49% of any reduction they achieve.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blakely View Post
They charged us less than that. Depends on the contract that you work out with them.

We tried twice on our own (armed with comps, etc) without results, but ProTax successfully got us a reduction. While you can pocket more if you do on your own, my experience has been better using them. YMMV.
I'm sorry, that was a typo... Texas ProTax charged me 40% of the reduction they achieved.

Old 04-12-2018, 11:44 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,109,315 times
Quote:

I always go in person too! I always "put my Texan on" too! Yes, ma'am, no, sir, big smile, super polite and I reach for any connection I can -- high school football, college football, old Austin, new Austin, knowledge of parks and lakes. Always "thank you" when I leave. Some time it works better than others but politeness always. And I have gotten good advice and suggestions from them too.

Old 04-12-2018, 12:54 PM

1,548 posts, read 1,195,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
I always go in person too! I always "put my Texan on" too! Yes, ma'am, no, sir, big smile, super polite and I reach for any connection I can -- high school football, college football, old Austin, new Austin, knowledge of parks and lakes. Always "thank you" when I leave. Some time it works better than others but politeness always. And I have gotten good advice and suggestions from them too.
Yes, polite humility goes farther than arrogant aggression. Earlier I said I would not protest this year because of the small increase, but just got the comps from a realtor and sure enough, I see it CAN go lower as two of the solds are lower than their proposed hike for my property. So here I go again.... down in the trenches to fight the good fight! Hey, 10 minutes out of my day for possible tax relief - I think I can spare it. All they can do is say "No". Good luck everyone!

Old 04-12-2018, 01:37 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,134,243 times
how do you protest if you dont have the pin? what is the deadline?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin