Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2018, 03:19 PM

68 posts, read 70,718 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

We finally found a rental home in Lakeway that is (supposedly) a decent commute to my husband's job. The rental is only for 10 months while we get to know the area to decide where we want to buy. I have a job interview next week for a job that would be in E. Austin with hours from 11a-7p. Since these hours are outside of the worst rush-hour traffic, does this seem doable or does Lakeway to E. Austin sound horrendous to those of you who know the area and traffic patterns? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2018, 04:33 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,107,786 times
It would be a hell of a haul! But people do insane commutes all the time. Plot it on google maps and set the time for when you will depart, it will be reasonably accurate.

Old 08-24-2018, 05:06 PM

283 posts, read 255,449 times
There's no good way to do that commute. It won't be quite as bad with those hours, but it's still going to be rough.

One of your problems is that from Lakeway proper, you have to get to either Bee Caves Road or 2222 before you start heading east. Not sure exactly where you are in Lakeway but just doing that could easily take 15 minutes on a good day.

Also, Lakeway cops are notoriously strict about enforcing lower than necessary speed limits. I hate driving through there.

Good luck.

Old 08-25-2018, 05:56 AM

9,852 posts, read 13,704,520 times
That sounds horrible. And I commutes from Cameron/51st to slaughter/Mopac for four months.

Old 08-25-2018, 12:57 PM

Thanks all! Does this commute sound so horrible because of the distance or is it more because of traffic congestion between point A and point B?

Old 08-25-2018, 01:21 PM

9,852 posts, read 13,704,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicaNica28 View Post
Thanks all! Does this commute sound so horrible because of the distance or is it more because of traffic congestion between point A and point B?
Both. There is traffic at all times of the day. I often drive from south to north Austin for work related things during the day and still budget a 30-40 minute drive. I know more of the north/south traffic the. The west/east traffic but still.

Old 08-27-2018, 09:50 AM

1,062 posts, read 981,837 times
That's a long distance and there will also be some traffic even at those times

Old 08-27-2018, 10:05 AM

1,663 posts, read 1,580,711 times
You know. A lot depends on your definition of "E Austin" and "Lakeway".

Old 08-27-2018, 12:21 PM

283 posts, read 255,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicaNica28 View Post
As others have said, it's both. But it's also a disjointed mess because you have to change major roads two, three, maybe 4 times depending on where you're coming from and going to. It's not like you get on, say, I-35 at Point X and head south till you get to Exit Y. You have to fight 620 through Four Points then 2222/Mopac then Cesar Chavez or whatever you use to get across town. Or 620 to 2244 through Westlake to Mopac to Cesar Chavez, etc. Or 620 to 71 through Oak Hill to Mopac. And except for the Cesar Chavez exit off Mopac, I believe every single one of the intersections along there is governed by traffic lights, not on-ramps.

It's not a straight shot and there's no way to make it one - if there are any shortcuts or secret backroads I'm not aware of them. Maybe Westlake Drive to Red Bud Trail to Lake Austin Blvd, if you're really desperate.

Old 08-27-2018, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DashRiprock View Post
As others have said, it's both. But it's also a disjointed mess because you have to change major roads two, three, maybe 4 times depending on where you're coming from and going to. It's not like you get on, say, I-35 at Point X and head south till you get to Exit Y. You have to fight 620 through Four Points then 2222/Mopac then Cesar Chavez or whatever you use to get across town. Or 620 to 2244 through Westlake to Mopac to Cesar Chavez, etc. Or 620 to 71 through Oak Hill to Mopac. And except for the Cesar Chavez exit off Mopac, I believe every single one of the intersections along there is governed by traffic lights, not on-ramps.

It's not a straight shot and there's no way to make it one - if there are any shortcuts or secret backroads I'm not aware of them. Maybe Westlake Drive to Red Bud Trail to Lake Austin Blvd, if you're really desperate.

That is super helpful! Where I'm coming from 20 miles from home to work is perfectly normal so I was confused as to why the distance was a huge deal and figured maybe the traffic was what made it so awful, but your description makes the commute headache make more sense. We will be relocating this weekend so I will make the drive next week during what would be my normal working hours to see how awful it would be. Thanks for the information!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin