Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2019, 12:50 PM

2,997 posts, read 3,104,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
Then you need to research getting a Texas teaching certificate. Many people move here thinking they can get a teaching job easily, but you need to get the certificate. I don't know what it entails, but some people say it's hard, but they could just be too lazy to do it.
It's not hard to get the initial one year transitional Texas Teacher's License. You just have to get on it BEFORE principals start calling and hiring en masse for the next school year (which is usually around February through March).

Now getting FULLY certified before that one year is up? That may be a little harder, depending on what your subject area is and what the test for that subject area is like. For example, I know the Spanish test is RIDICULOUS!!! Native Spanish speakers fail that one left and right, which is why Texas---the largest state that borders Mexico---always seems to have such a big Spanish teacher shortage and turnover in many areas of Texas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2019, 12:05 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
Temple/Belton are not military towns like Killeen (I spend a lot of time in both Killeen and Belton, either for helping clients find homes in the area or shopping or eating out as I live outside of Jarrell, between Georgetown and Belton). Belton is a nice town, the military there are mostly retired or officers, but they are not the whole of the town or even the major influence by any means. Temple has a serious medical leaning because of Scot & White having been there forever. Some pretty good restaurants, too!

If I were moving and had to choose, I'd choose Belton, just because it fits my personal tastes and, honestly, I know it better (my office is in Georgetown but the HEBs in Georgetown are within a mile of the same distance from the ranch as the HEB in Belton, and for some things I like that one better, for example).

I've had clients move to Texas and become Substitute Teachers while getting certified for here. That might be another option for you.

Old 02-11-2019, 06:49 PM

2 posts, read 2,778 times
I would suggest Leander, Georgetown, and Liberty Hill.

I live on the outskirts of Georgetown. All of these have great schools and great growth happening which will include more jobs. I would make sure to pay attention to what part of Georgetown, some parts are required to use a certain electric while the outskirts are not. You also would need to pay attention to tax rates.

I have a good friend that is a Vice Principal for the Georgetown ISD and she absolutely loves it! Is there a particular grade or subject your interested in teaching?

Old 02-19-2019, 10:22 AM

2 posts, read 1,132 times
McKinney Texas is a fantastic place to raise a family. I have the perfect house for you! I'm not joking, my wife and I are moving to Florida to take care of her mother. Our house is in the coveted Prosper ISD, in an awesome neighborhood, is clean as a whistle, and has an in-ground storm shelter for added peace of mind. It is priced to sell. Check it out at 3309 Ridgeway Dr. McKinney Texas 75071

Old 02-19-2019, 10:42 AM

478 posts, read 418,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
They weren't being very friendly and welcoming.

Temple isn't a bad place, but get a good gauge of the neighborhood you're thinking of moving into. It does have some sketchy areas. As do most towns.
Actually. I was being perfectly helpful. Lower COL, higher job density, still close to Central TX.

Sorry that disagreed with your perspective.

Old 02-19-2019, 01:51 PM

5,718 posts, read 4,694,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalTex Ranger View Post
Actually. I was being perfectly helpful. Lower COL, higher job density, still close to Central TX.

Sorry that disagreed with your perspective.
Nothing to do with perspective. The OP asked about Belton/Temple. Not Dallas.

And no, Dallas is not "close" to central Texas.

Old 02-19-2019, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Nothing to do with perspective. The OP asked about Belton/Temple. Not Dallas.

And no, Dallas is not "close" to central Texas.
It’s under two hours from temple to ft worth. I never said Dallas.

Old 02-19-2019, 02:03 PM

5,718 posts, read 4,694,001 times
Two hour drives are "close"? The OP asked about a small town in central Texas. Not a big city in north central Texas.

Now, if the OP has questions, I'll be back. Otherwise, buh-bye.

Old 02-20-2019, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Two hour drives are "close"? The OP asked about a small town in central Texas. Not a big city in north central Texas.

Now, if the OP has questions, I'll be back. Otherwise, buh-bye.
Under two hours is close by Texas standards, yes.

Quote:
Hello! I am a single mom looking to move to Texas from Oregon. Ive been considering the Belton/Temple area becuase of the highly rated public schools. The crime and safety rates look better around this better than in Killeen as well. Belton looks like a beautiful town and the rent and housing doesnt seem too outrageous either. Is it too good to be true? Are there no jobs? Or terrible residents here? What are the downfalls of this area? Or are there any other areas I should be considering? Thanks!!
Also, I was actually reading their post and responding to it.

Toodles!

Old 02-20-2019, 08:16 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,642,308 times
If you are looking small town, Belton is not bad at all, really. If you don't mind a bit smaller, you might also consider Liberty Hill, Burnet, Llano, etc. They are pretty small, though, so would take some research to figure out the jobs. How old are you kids? Make sure the schools do offer day-care type services to teachers, I don't figure all of them do.

Mind that you look at the tax situation, as well - as a single-income family, the removal of the income tax in Oregon may result in minor savings, but the increase in property tax will hit single-income families harder than dual-income. As a ball-park number, Belton is listed with a median home value of $182k, Burnet is $196k, Llano is $192k. Liberty Hill is $348?! Wtf! Those are the cities proper, not the surrounding areas, which might be much less. All have passably good schools, I believe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin