Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2019, 10:05 PM

2 posts, read 2,118 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to Austin for work from the Midwest and i'm curious of people's feedback on which community i should choose between steiner ranch and the domain. I am a single working professional and travel about 80% of the time. Gym and eating out are basically my social activities when i'm in town until i can establish a social network.

Curious is steiner ranch more family oriented vs the domain?
How bad is traffic to the domain or other areas of the city on the weekends (when i'm in town)?
Are there many singles or divorced parents living in SR...or will i always be the only one sitting alone eating?
Are there alot of bars by the lake travis other than the fabled oasis?

Any feedback people have would be greatly appreciated!! If you are single or were single...which would you choose?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2019, 10:17 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,898,816 times
I'm a single dad (well dating but non-married is probably a better descriptor) and if I had to do it over again I'd live out by the Domain, lots more to do out there.

That being said, the hangout spots near Steiner Ranch are SR Steakhouse and Rock House Bar & Grill. There's also a dive bar called "Grumpy Grouper". In the Domain there are many many bars/clubs/restaurants.

The advantage of Steiner is the lake.

Old 02-24-2019, 10:31 PM

478 posts, read 418,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New2Austin2019 View Post
I'm moving to Austin for work from the Midwest and i'm curious of people's feedback on which community i should choose between steiner ranch and the domain. I am a single working professional and travel about 80% of the time. Gym and eating out are basically my social activities when i'm in town until i can establish a social network.

How bad is traffic to the domain or other areas of the city on the weekends (when i'm in town)?
Are there many singles or divorced parents living in SR...or will i always be the only one sitting alone eating?

Any feedback people have would be greatly appreciated!! If you are single or were single...which would you choose?
Steiner shouldn’t even be on your radar. Go for the Domain area. Without a doubt.

Old 02-25-2019, 12:48 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,134,243 times
domain

Old 02-25-2019, 01:55 AM

1,549 posts, read 1,956,395 times
Domain hands down. Or if you'll consider pricier areas, downtown should also be on your radar.

Old 02-25-2019, 03:55 PM

472 posts, read 432,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New2Austin2019 View Post

If I were in your shoes I would pick Domain in a heartbeat.

Old 02-25-2019, 04:31 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 11 days ago)

35,637 posts, read 17,989,189 times
Steiner ranch is an upscale suburb. Very nice area, but I don't think it's at all what you're looking for.

The Domain does have traffic, but if you live there, you walk instead of drive your car around. Lots and lots to do, including a cute park with pond.

Old 02-25-2019, 05:21 PM

9,853 posts, read 13,706,729 times
Why not east or central Austin? What’s your budget? As a single active person central and east Austin is where I would be ifvwirk wasn’t all the way down south.

Old 02-25-2019, 06:23 PM

283 posts, read 255,557 times
Wow, Steiner Ranch and the Domain almost couldn't be more different. What were you looking at that ended up choosing between those two?

I'm going to assume you're young (and male), but if you're older and/or into older women you'll like Steiner, or so I've heard. Otherwise, there's no reason I can see for a single guy to live there unless work is close.

Old 02-26-2019, 12:30 PM

1,825 posts, read 2,829,385 times
Based on the information we have, +1 for the Domain.

If you were considering Steiner because you wanted a little more room to live in than you'd get in the Domain, there are a lot of Central or East Austin areas that will keep you near plenty to do but give you a little more square footage. A lot depends on your budget and whether you want to rent vs. buy, and it may also make more sense to rent in the Domain for a year or two and then look at the other neighborhoods once you know the area and have a better idea of where you want to spend your time.

But you might take a look at Hyde Park or Mueller. Both have some walkability, depending on which part you land in. Mueller more than Hyde Park, but Hyde Park has more Austin-y character versus Mueller's Urbanism By Committee feel.

The Domain will have more within a stone's throw than just about anywhere else, but the noise and traffic will both reflect that. If you work NW then the Domain is a great choice; if not, Mueller is appreciably closer to the airport.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin