Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2019, 07:33 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,642,308 times

Advertisements

So, the local hysteria is starting again related to zoning. Out of curiosity (as I have not read the proposal in any detail), how does the zoning code interact with HOAs? I.e., if an HOA limits a lot to a SFH and only related people living there (no sub-letting to boarders, etc), does the zoning preempt that or does the HOA have governance?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2019, 10:16 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,130,727 times
HOA supercedes

So all the antis who are sending in change.org protests for their zoning could just put a deed restriction on their property. But they wont since they really want to control other people's property

Old 12-05-2019, 11:09 AM

9,851 posts, read 13,701,644 times
There aren't very many HOAs in the urban core, where much of these zoning changes will happen, either. They're Neighborhood Associations.

Old 12-05-2019, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
There aren't very many HOAs in the urban core, where much of these zoning changes will happen, either. They're Neighborhood Associations.
These zoning changes pretty much happen all over the city. This appears to be an accurate summary map:
Attached Thumbnails
CodeNEXT4-capture.jpg  

Old 12-05-2019, 12:15 PM

In any case, in looking how it could potentially affect my area, I think the following statements are accurate:
- The lots are small enough (6,000 sf for the vast majority) and the existing house footprints large enough (almost all 2,000 sf+ when you add in garage, driveway, patios, sidewalks, etc) that there is little cap left under the impervious cover limit (45%) to allow an additional domicile. The MAX would be about a 700 sf footprint, most lots much less, including any additional sidewalk, etc.
- Due to the 'normal' setback from the front property line for existing houses, even finding a usable 700 feet would be problematic;
- A small house could be added or an existing house expanded into a duplex, except the HOA limits the lots to single family homes and prohibits subletting.
- The only way that this is likely to cause changes in an HOA area is if the HOAs are weakened AND the houses get to tear-down age - which would allow the whole lot to be redeveloped.

Old 12-05-2019, 05:45 PM

11,804 posts, read 8,012,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
These zoning changes pretty much happen all over the city. This appears to be an accurate summary map:
Wow, I thought this was only near Downtown Austin and maybe as far North as 183 and as far south as maybe 71. I had no idea it went all the way out to the 45's.

I get the idea and notion about adding density but in this approach, I'm not entirely sure how I feel about it, infact I'm not really sure its a great idea.

Old 12-05-2019, 06:52 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,130,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Wow, I thought this was only near Downtown Austin and maybe as far North as 183 and as far south as maybe 71. I had no idea it went all the way out to the 45's.

I get the idea and notion about adding density but in this approach, I'm not entirely sure how I feel about it, infact I'm not really sure its a great idea.
spreading a little density over the entire city plus moderate density on transit corridors and then very high density in designated zones will work fine.

Areas like mine have the best AISD schools, we need more units in our area so more people can go to the schools at a lower price point. Lots here are 10,000 square ft. They will be able to be split and each lot can get a duplex. Currently the min lot size is 7000 sq ft and the houses are too expensive to put a single duplex. However an 800K house, split into two duplexes is now justifiable.

Old 12-05-2019, 07:50 PM

Quote:

From my (admittedly cursory) review, it looks like it won't affect my area for many, many years - until the houses get 'old' enough - and the lots valuable enough - to warrant a 'tear down' approach. And the people that own the houses and live there at that time will have been aware of the zoning for decades at that point.

Old 12-05-2019, 08:22 PM

11,804 posts, read 8,012,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
From my (admittedly cursory) review, it looks like it won't affect my area for many, many years - until the houses get 'old' enough - and the lots valuable enough - to warrant a 'tear down' approach. And the people that own the houses and live there at that time will have been aware of the zoning for decades at that point.
I guess by that point the urban areas will be re-gentrifying... it is progressive I'll give it that but the infrastructure here can barely handle the amount of people already in these areas let alone 3x as many... how are they going to account for that?

Also what about all those nice homes just west of downtown (Old West Austin, Tarrytown, West Lake Hills, ect) ... I cant realistically see them easily giving in to the new standards.

Old 12-05-2019, 08:44 PM

Quote:
I guess by that point the urban areas will be re-gentrifying... it is progressive I'll give it that but the infrastructure here can barely handle the amount of people already in these areas let alone 3x as many... how are they going to account for that?

Also what about all those nice homes just west of downtown (Old West Austin, Tarrytown, West Lake Hills, ect) ... I cant realistically see them easily giving in to the new standards.
*shrug* We will have to figure out better mass transit or something, eh? There would possibly be less people commuting from further out if they could live closer in. And it isn't like people are stopping moving here because they can't live close in - they are just commuting from further out. We have quite a few commuters now that transit to work via our neighborhood roads.

And no, none of the old neighborhoods want anything to change. On the other hand, at what point do you lose the ability to control your neighbors use of their property? I suspect that could start something like an HOA, but then someone might control THEIR property. The horror!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin