Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2020, 09:27 AM

242 posts, read 211,098 times

Advertisements

A lot of flood-prone neighborhoods in South/SW Austin have had entire sections bought out and bulldozed like Cherry Creek in SW Austin and Dove Springs in SE Austin. Flood prone sections of the Onion Creek Neighborhood haven't been bought out yet most likely due to the price tag of the houses. Some of the flood-prone homes in Onion Creek are in the 100 year flood plain, but are still worth more than a million dollars. This creates obstacles that the buy-outs in Cherry Creek and Dove Springs don't have.

https://www.redfin.com/TX/Austin/100.../home/31834824
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2020, 05:38 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,106,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swizzle Stick View Post
A lot of flood-prone neighborhoods in South/SW Austin have had entire sections bought out and bulldozed like Cherry Creek in SW Austin and Dove Springs in SE Austin. Flood prone sections of the Onion Creek Neighborhood haven't been bought out yet most likely due to the price tag of the houses. Some of the flood-prone homes in Onion Creek are in the 100 year flood plain, but are still worth more than a million dollars. This creates obstacles that the buy-outs in Cherry Creek and Dove Springs don't have.

https://www.redfin.com/TX/Austin/100.../home/31834824

Cherry Creek is South Austin. I don't know of sections that have been bulldozed. Where specifically?

There are flood prone areas and flood zones all through South Austin. That's true. But I know of no bulldozing.

Old 02-28-2020, 07:17 AM

242 posts, read 211,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
Cherry Creek is South Austin. I don't know of sections that have been bulldozed. Where specifically?

There are flood prone areas and flood zones all through South Austin. That's true. But I know of no bulldozing.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ch...!4d-97.8082869

This neighborhood near 71, west of Westgate Blvd was once a neighborhood that was part of Cherry Creek, it was bought out and bulldozed due to repeated flooding from Williamson Creek. The footprint of the houses still show up on Google Maps, but the satellite view shows empty fields with the streets remaining.

Old 02-28-2020, 08:58 AM

15,308 posts, read 35,791,034 times
Quote:

This neighborhood near 71, west of Westgate Blvd was once a neighborhood that was part of Cherry Creek, it was bought out and bulldozed due to repeated flooding from Williamson Creek. The footprint of the houses still show up on Google Maps, but the satellite view shows empty fields with the streets remaining.
Looking back in the GoogleEarth history photos, it looks like those houses were mostly removed between 2009 and 2011.

More recently, it looks like a handful of houses (four or five) were removed after 2016 or so in the Meadow Creek Cir/Meadow Creek Dr. area.

Also the very end of Radam Circle, although there is still one at the end of the street, even though four or five around it are gone. Interesting.

You can follow along Onion Creek and look for flat, open space and then scroll back in time to see houses 'appear' in the past. Not really huge numbers, but there are areas here and there.

Old 02-28-2020, 05:11 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,106,208 times
Quote:

Thanks for the info. I had no idea.
Steve

Old 02-29-2020, 10:31 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,625,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
Looking back in the GoogleEarth history photos, it looks like those houses were mostly removed between 2009 and 2011.

More recently, it looks like a handful of houses (four or five) were removed after 2016 or so in the Meadow Creek Cir/Meadow Creek Dr. area.

Also the very end of Radam Circle, although there is still one at the end of the street, even though four or five around it are gone. Interesting.

You can follow along Onion Creek and look for flat, open space and then scroll back in time to see houses 'appear' in the past. Not really huge numbers, but there are areas here and there.

I vaguely remember looking at satellite shots back in '08 before we moved here. There were areas(similar to the ones above) that had roads with no homes or just scraped pads/lots in what appeared to be a neighborhood. I wondered what the heck was going on. I never followed up since we decided to look way north for our new house.

Old 03-07-2020, 12:39 PM

7 posts, read 6,543 times
Wanted to provide a quick update:
I spent the last week in Austin, exploring many of the neighborhoods discussed on here as well as others. Liked some stuff; didn't like some stuff -the usual. Then I went to Mueller, against my 24 year old daughter's advice, because, as she said, "OMG, Mom, it isn't real Austin, it's like Disney built it." I know, I know, I was 24 once too, so I went anyway. And I completely fell in love with it! I went on three separate occasions, late afternoon, mid-morning and early afternoon, and each time, there were so many people out and about -including lots of people my age.Two couples, empty nester retirees, were sharing wine on their porch and invited me up to talk. I love the idea of walking to a coffee shop or restaurant. We love to bike, walk and exercise the dog and there is TONS of opportunity for that.. It was the first time in my week there that I felt completely joyous about moving to Austin. The idea of nipping over to UT to take OLLI classes, nipping downtown midweek to have lunch with my daughter, heading out on our bikes with my husband all just seemed exactly what I was picturing. I would love walking outside to a farmer's market on Sunday, etc. etc. The bad part is, wow, it's pretty expensive. But if we sold the Hollows house, as well as the house we live in, we could do it. So now, fill me in. Is it too good to be true?

Old 03-07-2020, 12:51 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,938,972 times
I can kind of understand her point about Mueller... I sort of felt that way when the first master planned stuff started going up there. But I would say her point applies more to the Domain. Mueller may be master planned, but they plunked it down in one of the most Austin-y locations it could be. If that makes sense. It’s like, if you went back 50 years in time, the Domain might as well have been Waco. But the airport was still Austin.

I guess what I’m saying is I can understand what you felt.

Old 03-07-2020, 05:39 PM

9,855 posts, read 13,784,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestyears View Post
Wanted to provide a quick update:
I spent the last week in Austin, exploring many of the neighborhoods discussed on here as well as others. Liked some stuff; didn't like some stuff -the usual. Then I went to Mueller, against my 24 year old daughter's advice, because, as she said, "OMG, Mom, it isn't real Austin, it's like Disney built it." I know, I know, I was 24 once too, so I went anyway. And I completely fell in love with it! I went on three separate occasions, late afternoon, mid-morning and early afternoon, and each time, there were so many people out and about -including lots of people my age.Two couples, empty nester retirees, were sharing wine on their porch and invited me up to talk. I love the idea of walking to a coffee shop or restaurant. We love to bike, walk and exercise the dog and there is TONS of opportunity for that.. It was the first time in my week there that I felt completely joyous about moving to Austin. The idea of nipping over to UT to take OLLI classes, nipping downtown midweek to have lunch with my daughter, heading out on our bikes with my husband all just seemed exactly what I was picturing. I would love walking outside to a farmer's market on Sunday, etc. etc. The bad part is, wow, it's pretty expensive. But if we sold the Hollows house, as well as the house we live in, we could do it. So now, fill me in. Is it too good to be true?
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
I can kind of understand her point about Mueller... I sort of felt that way when the first master planned stuff started going up there. But I would say her point applies more to the Domain. Mueller may be master planned, but they plunked it down in one of the most Austin-y locations it could be. If that makes sense. It’s like, if you went back 50 years in time, the Domain might as well have been Waco. But the airport was still Austin.

I guess what I’m saying is I can understand what you felt.

It’s true and it’s a real live place in Austin. If you want to be central near everything in Austin snd can afford it, yes. It’s a good place. The Hollows house in the one in LT right? Do you never want to go back there? Would you miss the occasional summer day out there? Could you afford to rent in Mueller for a bit to try it out? I love it, but also closer to your daughter’s age. If I could afford to I’d move there in a heart beat. The only thing I would miss from my apartment dorm south is my little yard I have for my dog. But otherwise I’ll m constantly digging for an apartment in mueller for under $1200. It’s impossible.

Old 03-09-2020, 04:10 PM

743 posts, read 1,380,883 times
I would trust your instincts. I know a lot of people who really like the Mueller community, walkability and convenience to amenities. And since you've spent some time there, you get what it feels like.

The main disadvantage I hear about Mueller are the schools, but since that's not a concern for you, it could be a winner if the price point isn't too high.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: