Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2020, 09:13 PM

1,187 posts, read 1,431,142 times

Advertisements

This is a joking comment, but perhaps has some truth to it: I wonder if Austin's population growth would be a lot less without so many Houstonians retiring there. :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2020, 10:07 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,113,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestyears View Post
Wanted to provide a quick update:
I spent the last week in Austin, exploring many of the neighborhoods discussed on here as well as others. Liked some stuff; didn't like some stuff -the usual. Then I went to Mueller, against my 24 year old daughter's advice, because, as she said, "OMG, Mom, it isn't real Austin, it's like Disney built it." I know, I know, I was 24 once too, so I went anyway. And I completely fell in love with it! I went on three separate occasions, late afternoon, mid-morning and early afternoon, and each time, there were so many people out and about -including lots of people my age.Two couples, empty nester retirees, were sharing wine on their porch and invited me up to talk. I love the idea of walking to a coffee shop or restaurant. We love to bike, walk and exercise the dog and there is TONS of opportunity for that.. It was the first time in my week there that I felt completely joyous about moving to Austin. The idea of nipping over to UT to take OLLI classes, nipping downtown midweek to have lunch with my daughter, heading out on our bikes with my husband all just seemed exactly what I was picturing. I would love walking outside to a farmer's market on Sunday, etc. etc. The bad part is, wow, it's pretty expensive. But if we sold the Hollows house, as well as the house we live in, we could do it. So now, fill me in. Is it too good to be true?
I think it's important to trust your gut, understand that there are always "unknown unknowns" that you may be failing to recognize and factor in, know your "must have" vs "nice to have"s, don't overthink it, then make a decision.

I always remember back in 1996 we left Travis Heights and bought a home in South Austin after our second daughter was born. After moving, we realized we really missed Stacy Park and the ability to go for walks there with a stroller. A year later that caused "walking distance to park" to become a "must have" when we decided to move again. We eliminated many great houses that lacked walkability to a neighborhood park. Eventually we bought 2 blocks from Dick Nichols Park in SW Austin.

Then, with the kids ages 1 and 4 it became such a battle royale to make the walk (as compared to our memory when we only had 1 kid) that we'd load them in the minivan and drive the two blocks to the park.

Point being, that our assumptions of what a "must have" lifestyle amenity is can be tricky and will change over time. Today, semi-retired, I value "walk to coffee shop" top of list. I do it now and then but not as regularly as I would think I'd want to.

Sorry, just a bit of a ramble. Mueller is a great fit for many people and if it checks enough boxes could be a great pick for you guys.

Last edited by austin-steve; 03-10-2020 at 10:08 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 03-10-2020, 02:51 PM

577 posts, read 461,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestyears View Post
Wanted to provide a quick update:
I spent the last week in Austin, exploring many of the neighborhoods discussed on here as well as others. Liked some stuff; didn't like some stuff -the usual. Then I went to Mueller, against my 24 year old daughter's advice, because, as she said, "OMG, Mom, it isn't real Austin, it's like Disney built it." I know, I know, I was 24 once too, so I went anyway. And I completely fell in love with it! I went on three separate occasions, late afternoon, mid-morning and early afternoon, and each time, there were so many people out and about -including lots of people my age.Two couples, empty nester retirees, were sharing wine on their porch and invited me up to talk. I love the idea of walking to a coffee shop or restaurant. We love to bike, walk and exercise the dog and there is TONS of opportunity for that.. It was the first time in my week there that I felt completely joyous about moving to Austin. The idea of nipping over to UT to take OLLI classes, nipping downtown midweek to have lunch with my daughter, heading out on our bikes with my husband all just seemed exactly what I was picturing. I would love walking outside to a farmer's market on Sunday, etc. etc. The bad part is, wow, it's pretty expensive. But if we sold the Hollows house, as well as the house we live in, we could do it. So now, fill me in. Is it too good to be true?
I enjoy the Mueller area, and I wouldn't say it's too good to be true. It does feel very cookie-cutter and master-planned, but, aside from that, it's got everything you appear to be looking for. What I love the most is how close it is to Downtown Austin and the east side, so it wouldn't be too hard for you to venture out to those parts of town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: