Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2020, 01:14 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
I thought you were from DFW.

Anyhow though, between allergies and coronavirus, I think you'll know. From what I've seen the Coronavirus doesnt usually make people sneeze but more so gives them fever, fatigue, and difficulty breathing.
Right. It just seems like bad timing since there are so many similarities between a cold, flu, allergies, and coronavirus. I'm much more worried about people who are being laid off or feel like they have to self quarantine at the expense of a paycheck they need.

I am in the Tyler area by the way. We have six cases here at last count.

My son just lost his job in Austin. So that's two down out of the five kids. Pretty sure another one will be laid off within a few days - he's in Hays County though so I guess that's a blessing of sorts. At my husband's work, they just laid off 7 of 36 people and we're pretty sure more layoffs are coming - so far so good with him though.

Interesting times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2020, 01:16 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 8 days ago)

35,633 posts, read 17,968,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lastfire View Post
I have not read all the posts in this thread. My question: Can the guidelines be issued for all of metro Austin? My neighborhood is technically in Williamson County but within the city of Austin. My nearest gym (YMCA Twin Lakes) is in Cedar Park. My church is in Leander. My volunteer opportunities are in Georgetown. I am staying home alone (over 75 years of age) and have been since March 9th. However, I am receiving text messages from friends who work in Austin but live in the northern towns and feel there are no restrictions on them. One person is working from home now because a person was tested positive in his work building in Austin. He lives in Cedar Park. So again: Are the mayor and county judge coordinating with the nearby cities that make up metro Austin?
I think Cedar Park is treated separately. There are Texas-wide restrictions by the governor, and I would be surprised if Cedar Park and Round Rock don't follow suit, but maybe they won't.

BTW, the Y in Northwest Austin is open, as I understand it, also.

Old 03-17-2020, 01:19 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
She doesn't live in Austin, though. Tree pollen is 'moderate' in Dallas. Think she is east of Dallas? Tyler is also moderate. Anyway, likely oak pollen or something else. My wife is allergic to something in every season. And she is allergic to Benadryl.
Right - I live in Tyler. We're "medium" today for cedar and I'm better today than I was yesterday too.
https://www.weatherbug.com/life/pollen/
https://www.pollen.com/forecast/extended/pollen/75701

Old 03-17-2020, 01:27 PM

11,804 posts, read 8,018,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Right. It just seems like bad timing since there are so many similarities between a cold, flu, allergies, and coronavirus. I'm much more worried about people who are being laid off or feel like they have to self quarantine at the expense of a paycheck they need.

I am in the Tyler area by the way. We have six cases here at last count.

My son just lost his job in Austin. So that's two down out of the five kids. Pretty sure another one will be laid off within a few days - he's in Hays County though so I guess that's a blessing of sorts. At my husband's work, they just laid off 7 of 36 people and we're pretty sure more layoffs are coming - so far so good with him though.

Interesting times.
Yeah. I'm also worried about the job loss. I know restaurants, bars, retail, tourism, hotels and travel industries will have it the hardest. I'm in IT, right now we're just working from home and I dont really sit on the front line of anything productional but on the backends and innovation so I'm not really sure how vulnerable I am but it does worry me a bit. What is weird though is I'm still getting alot of calls for jobs despite everything being shut down. I'm just wondering how long it will be before the IT sector gets hit from this.

For your son, some states (I believe Texas included) have made special provisions to extend unemployment for those affected or laid off due to the Coronavirus. Look in to this:

https://www.khou.com/mobile/article/...5-5d1eea831695

https://twc.texas.gov/news/unemploym...onavirusCovid1

Last edited by Need4Camaro; 03-17-2020 at 01:40 PM..

Old 03-17-2020, 01:33 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 8 days ago)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
I'm sure there are exceptions, including people staying together, such as the case with large families, hospitals, etc.

This is not a First Amendment issue. No one has the right to put other people in danger. That's why yelling "Fire" in a crowded theater is not a violation of free speech. That's why you can not drive 100 miles per hour through red lights. No one has absolute freedom to do anything if it effects someone else.
The first amendment guarantees the right to peaceful assembly.

This is, in fact, a first amendment issue.

And overruling rights guaranteed under the Bill of Rights should be taken very, very seriously. It's not a thing where "it would really probably be for the best if y'all didn't exercise your first amendment rights at this time".

Last edited by ClaraC; 03-17-2020 at 01:43 PM..

Old 03-17-2020, 01:38 PM

1,907 posts, read 3,230,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lastfire View Post
I have not read all the posts in this thread. My question: Can the guidelines be issued for all of metro Austin? My neighborhood is technically in Williamson County but within the city of Austin. My nearest gym (YMCA Twin Lakes) is in Cedar Park. My church is in Leander. My volunteer opportunities are in Georgetown. I am staying home alone (over 75 years of age) and have been since March 9th. However, I am receiving text messages from friends who work in Austin but live in the northern towns and feel there are no restrictions on them. One person is working from home now because a person was tested positive in his work building in Austin. He lives in Cedar Park. So again: Are the mayor and county judge coordinating with the nearby cities that make up metro Austin?
Williamson county will follow right behind Travis county I have no doubt as the counties share so much real estate between parts of Austin, Cedar Park and Round Rock.

Certain areas of the country look to be going to bear the brunt of this..... Avoid travel to the west coast and the northeast. Also Louisiana and the deep south (Alabama, Mississippi and Florida) appear to have an abnormally high number of cases. New Orleans is looking terrible 100 cases for the city alone. As I suspected the more dense the area the worse it is and New Orleans is very dense.

Also in case you can "make a mask" or find a mask I'd recommended it. You don't see all those folks walking around in China and korea with a mask because it's a fashion statement. Anything is better than nothing. The problem is the medical services industry needs the masks and there was already a shortage, so the government isn't advising people to get masks. But if you know like I know you'll get creative a'll.

I'll post this link a again. State by state breakdown. Texas now at 110 "Known" cases. Louisiana 171 cases, Oklahoma 19, New Mexico 21.

https://coronavirus.1point3acres.com/en

The virus is community spread in Dallas a as another person this time in Grand Prairie contacted without any travel. and Houston has been community spread for a while. We must wash our hands frequently.

Old 03-17-2020, 01:39 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,642,308 times
I am pretty sure your own family is not a 'gathering'

Old 03-17-2020, 01:41 PM

Quote:
I am pretty sure your own family is not a 'gathering'
My point was, this is unenforceable.

Old 03-17-2020, 01:46 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,642,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
My point was, this is unenforceable.
Maybe, dunno. But it does let the public know what is a good target for cancellation of events.

Old 03-17-2020, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Maybe, dunno. But it does let the public know what is a good target for cancellation of events.
I would certainly get behind that idea, of strongly advising people about the risk of large gatherings, and suggesting they put those off for sometime in May. And gatherings that are large enough to need insurance and permits, and take place in public are cancelled until further notice. We all get that, the government absolutely has the right to withdraw permits from large events in cases of public safety.

What I think is important here, is that we at least acknowledge our First Amendment rights are being taken away, if only temporarily. And they may be right in doing so.

What I think we really need to avoid, is to treat this cavalierly, and suggest our rights aren't, in fact, being suspended. As if we really don't have right to gather peacefully, which was so important to the founders it was put in the first amendment. Gathering is a right. Not a privilege that can be easily removed with little thought.

*deep exhale. The stock market closed 1K points up from yesterday. Signs of hope and life*
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin