Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 11:29 PM

35 posts, read 161,635 times

Advertisements

We are in the process of looking for a house in Austin right now. Excellent school district is very important for us and we looked at the houses in Eanes (mostly in Barton Creek West and Senna Hills) between 400-550K, and also, in Round Rock School district (Elem: Lauren Mountain or Kathy Caraway, and high school Westwood). Can someone, please, give us very convincing reason to choose one school district vs the other, since both have pretty good reputation? Also, maybe because we are very new to the area, but the area of Great Hills (but Round Rocks schools) where we were looking seems much more lively, and closer to a lot of things for adults to do than in Eanes, i.e. restaurants, movie theatres, shopping, etc. Is that true? We both will be working in Downtown area. Our initial impression was that you get more house for the money in Round Rock, but it seems like the houses we looked at are pretty comparable in price and sq footage. We only have a couple of days to make a decision, any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2008, 05:31 AM

5,867 posts, read 11,928,737 times
From what I've read on here, Westwood is a highly rated school. Eanes usually gets the attention for the best schools in the area, so you probably coudn't go wrong with either one. So, that leaves, where do you want to live? Even though you say "Round Rock", you're really looking in NW Austin it sounds like. The commute downtown would be easier from Eanes than NW Austin. 183 to Mopac south in the morning is quite a bear. I drive the opposite direction and the traffic is literally stopped on 183 getting onto Mopac at 7:20 AM. Two years ago I would have agreed with you about the shopping, but the Hill Country Galleria as well as the Shops at the Galleria have changed all that. SW Austin is probably equal to NW Austin in that respect and you also have the Barton Creek Mall close by and the Sunset Valley shops just a few more minutes away. Probably the only thing NW Austin has that SW Austin doesn't is lots of restaurants but a lot of them are chains. If you eat out a lot, I guess that would be a consideration, but if you only go out occasionally, you have access to quite a few within a 20 minute drive.

Old 04-25-2008, 08:54 AM

1,035 posts, read 4,466,427 times
OK, here's one thing you may not have thought about. When your kids are in high school, what do they want to do and how great are they at it? If you have a son that really wants to play baseball or football or a daughter that really wants to be on a dance team or a cheerleader, Westlake High School is highly competitive (the school is large so there's a larger talent pool). Both Westlake and Westwood are highly competitive academically, so it would be a wash if your child's goal is to be in the top 10%.

Old 04-25-2008, 09:02 AM
say

29 posts, read 180,861 times
I totally agree with whatever texastea said. However,
Westwood has higher population of Asian, and its orchestra program is (i think ) better.

Old 04-25-2008, 09:28 AM

63 posts, read 244,133 times
From what my research (I have not moved to Austin yet.... an outsider's view), both HS are considered top schools (check on the national rating and both of them are highly rated.) It depends on other stuff what you are looking for.

Old 04-25-2008, 10:39 AM

324 posts, read 1,311,960 times
don't forget that eanes will expect you to contribute $$$$ .....and i am not talking about buying a can of popcorn during the fundraisers
my kids are now in college and we moved from the eanes district because of "character issues" with the admin. ( we were already gone, but the debacle with the physic's teacher last summer/fall was a perfect example of the eanes admin's character....hard to tell your kids "character matters" when the the school they are attending shows them that character isn't important in the district's vision for eanes students).

Old 04-25-2008, 06:32 PM

63 posts, read 244,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfry View Post
don't forget that eanes will expect you to contribute $$$$ .....and i am not talking about buying a can of popcorn during the fundraisers
my kids are now in college and we moved from the eanes district because of "character issues" with the admin. ( we were already gone, but the debacle with the physic's teacher last summer/fall was a perfect example of the eanes admin's character....hard to tell your kids "character matters" when the the school they are attending shows them that character isn't important in the district's vision for eanes students).

How about ES and Middle school in Eanes? Are they ok? I heard a lot of negative stuff about Eanes. But mostly, just fancy car, rich kids and drug (which every high school has drug problem to different level).

Old 04-25-2008, 07:12 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,130,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blincbo View Post
We are in the process of looking for a house in Austin right now. Excellent school district is very important for us and we looked at the houses in Eanes (mostly in Barton Creek West and Senna Hills) between 400-550K, and also, in Round Rock School district (Elem: Lauren Mountain or Kathy Caraway, and high school Westwood). Can someone, please, give us very convincing reason to choose one school district vs the other, since both have pretty good reputation? Also, maybe because we are very new to the area, but the area of Great Hills (but Round Rocks schools) where we were looking seems much more lively, and closer to a lot of things for adults to do than in Eanes, i.e. restaurants, movie theatres, shopping, etc. Is that true? We both will be working in Downtown area. Our initial impression was that you get more house for the money in Round Rock, but it seems like the houses we looked at are pretty comparable in price and sq footage. We only have a couple of days to make a decision, any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
I live in the great hills area that is part of the RR school district. We are just down the street from laurel mountain. This area is much cheaper than eanes and we like the fact that is close to all the NW austin stuff. Depending on where you are in eanes then you are much closer to downtown, but the part of westlake south of 360 and 2222 is very suburban with very little shopping nearby.

Our housing prices are around 150-200/sq ft. some of eanes way out west isnt too expensive, but then it is far out. The part that is closer in is extremely expensive.

The domain has higher end shopping that is unique in austin.

Old 08-01-2008, 05:55 AM

3 posts, read 13,647 times
Post Eanes ISD Information here:

www.keepeanesinformed.com

Old 08-01-2008, 09:07 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,105,799 times
Anderson High in AISD is also an excellent school and you would be even closer to downtown etc and everything in NW Austin. The middle school is Murchison and I hear great things about it too.

http://www.austinisd.org/schools/website.phtml?id=001

Last edited by centralaustinite; 08-01-2008 at 09:08 AM.. Reason: add link
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin