Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2020, 02:17 PM

3 posts, read 1,313 times

Advertisements

So, I am putting the cart way before the horse here and am already planning relocation for a job I don't even have yet. Looking at redfin, etc. It is hard to know where to buy in the COVID era since traffic patterns are different. Even if I find a place, I don't really know what traffic will be like when things get back to normal. Google can tell me how it is right now, but that may not be an indication of reality. So, to help narrow down potential areas to live, I am hoping someone could comment and tell me what my limits are in the general area to to have a typical commute of no more than 45 minutes, preferably 30 or less, to the Airport. Buda, Pflugerville, Bastrop are areas I have been looking at but I have no clue if I some of those are too far (or too traffic-ey) or if I can stretch out a little more. Are Bear Creek or Dripping Springs too far? I'm in Houston so I know during regular traffic half of my commute is just getting to the freeway, so I definitely will need to take that into consideration as well. Thanks for any help you can provide. If budget helps you answer, I would like to keep it under $500k.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2020, 03:00 PM

9,855 posts, read 13,763,286 times
Buda will be more then an hour in peak traffic. It took me 45 from onion creek and 35 to get to 183/71 in regular traffic. I lived within like .2 miles if 35 off the access road and it could take me 20 minutes to get onto 35. You would be wise to rent first before buying. This market is crazy. I had my eye on a house for my parents that was listed Thursday afternoon and is already under contract.

Old 10-19-2020, 03:11 PM

899 posts, read 2,294,566 times
The commute that I would want if I were working at the airport is to live in Round Rock or Pflugerville and take Toll-130. Good traffic flow that takes you right to the airport. Of course you would be paying tolls every day, which I would hate but would need to be weighed against budget, commute tolerance, etc. Dripping Springs to ABIA would be miserable.

I'd check out areas like Blackhawk in Pflugerville or some of the neighborhoods in East Round Rock off Gattis School Road (like Lake Forest and around that area) with your budget. These are all pretty close to 130 if you choose to go that route.

When I need to get to the airport (somewhat often - a little less so during Covid) I'll get on 130 either at 45 in Round Rock or Parmer Lane a little further down. Even during peak rush hours I have never had a problem with traffic.

Old 10-19-2020, 06:48 PM

11,912 posts, read 8,146,142 times
130 toll through Pfugerville to 71 is all torn apart for road work and the times I've been on it, it hasn't really been much better than I-35. I think they're adding another lane? I wonder if they will return the speed limit to 80 or if they will drop it to 75? .. .. either way though .. I dunno if I would want to pay the tolls from Round Rock to the Airport on a 5 day weekly basis, that can't be cheap at all.

Old 10-19-2020, 07:55 PM

7,744 posts, read 15,175,453 times
we need more info. If you were just a single guy or DINK, I would say buy in east austin. Very easy commute to the airport, lots of fun stuff to do, and will experience a lot of price appreciation.

There are also neighborhoods well in your price range around 183/mlk. They are lower middle class.

Old 10-19-2020, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
130 toll through Pfugerville to 71 is all torn apart for road work and the times I've been on it, it hasn't really been much better than I-35. I think they're adding another lane? I wonder if they will return the speed limit to 80 or if they will drop it to 75? .. .. either way though .. I dunno if I would want to pay the tolls from Round Rock to the Airport on a 5 day weekly basis, that can't be cheap at all.
Yeah they are going from two to three lanes at portions and dropped the speed limit during construction. Seems like most of the lane closures for construction is during overnight hours. The thing I love about using the toll road to get to the airport is that during rush hour, unlike 183 or 35 to 183, I've never had a traffic jam. It always flows well and has much less traffic. I wouldn't want to pay the toll from 45 to 71 each day either which would run you just under $10 round trip - but getting on at Parmer Lane to 71, it only costs me $1.88 which I'll gladly pay to avoid 183 to the airport.

Old 10-20-2020, 03:46 AM

9,855 posts, read 13,763,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by innovator82 View Post
Yeah they are going from two to three lanes at portions and dropped the speed limit during construction. Seems like most of the lane closures for construction is during overnight hours. The thing I love about using the toll road to get to the airport is that during rush hour, unlike 183 or 35 to 183, I've never had a traffic jam. It always flows well and has much less traffic. I wouldn't want to pay the toll from 45 to 71 each day either which would run you just under $10 round trip - but getting on at Parmer Lane to 71, it only costs me $1.88 which I'll gladly pay to avoid 183 to the airport.
While I rarely am on 130, and when I am it’s probably in non peak times, the few times I’ve driven on 130 during rush hour (probably in like 2015 when I was going to San Antonio often) I always felt like there were slow downs at the interchanges. It might be getting better due to the construction, but it was dreadful sitting in traffic with people nerving on and off of 290, 71 and 183.

Old 10-20-2020, 05:57 AM

11,912 posts, read 8,146,142 times
Yeah, during commute hours 130 does back up around Parmer/290 area and also 71. I don’t use 130 very much but I have definitely sat in traffic on it.

I personally would try to avoid living as far as RR while working at the airport but to each his own.

Old 10-20-2020, 06:51 AM

8,013 posts, read 10,482,870 times
Worry more about where you'll be working. You could could find a place that's 30 minutes from the airport, but an hour or more from your office. Wait and see where you'll be working, and then find a place that's close enough to both.

Old 10-20-2020, 08:16 AM

Guess it's a difference between slowing down at certain spots on 130 and being at a stand still or crawl on 183 or 35. At least in my experience, it's no contest that 130 is much better during rush hour compared to 183 and 35 - it's extra miles for me than 183, but I'll do it just to keep moving and avoid stand still traffic. But as you said, to each his own.

I used to drive 620 from Lakeline to Bee Cave every day (and hated it), so Pflugerville to the airport on the toll road would be a major improvement - again if the cost didn't add up.

The OP may want to look at Harris Branch area as an option for a residential area too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin