Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2020, 08:28 AM

12,950 posts, read 13,339,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakely View Post
Westwood High School is in Travis County (not Williamson), as are most of the students who attend. Travis County has been woke for a while.
You are correct.
Cedar Park & Round Rock were asleep at the wheel when they let the greedy imperialist City of Austin start annexing Wilco territory all the way up 183 and I-35. Very regrettable.
However, thanks to the legislature in the late 1990s Brushy Creek MUD was at least able to vote ourselves out of Austin’s ETJ into Round Rock’s.

Last edited by ScoPro; 11-21-2020 at 08:37 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2020, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
most of the westwood attendance zone is not in williamson county.

Westwood is a majority minority school. Roughly 1100 whites, 950 asians, 400 hispanics and 100 blacks.

You can think of it as a nerd school which will tend to skew more liberal. I personally think it is fine.
1- Attendance zone is about 50/50. My nephew lives in Balcones Country Club neighborhood - his house straddles the county line, so he gets two tax bills.
2- Correct.
3- Correct & agree.

Old 11-21-2020, 02:46 PM

242 posts, read 206,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blakely View Post
Westwood High School is in Travis County (not Williamson), as are most of the students who attend.
Google maps says it's in Williamson County. You will see WWHS in the middle of the map, zoom out and you will see that it's in Williamson County (highlighted):

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Wi...!4d-97.6982272

The HS is located in the city of Austin though, which may be where the confusion lies.

Old 11-21-2020, 06:40 PM

9,851 posts, read 13,696,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC0372 View Post
Sorry if it's off topic. I am new to Cedar Park. I am in Williamson County but I understand that part of Cedar Park is Travis County as well. Where is the dividing line?
Did you look at a map of the counties?

Old 11-21-2020, 06:56 PM

11,799 posts, read 8,008,183 times
Quote:
Sorry if it's off topic. I am new to Cedar Park. I am in Williamson County but I understand that part of Cedar Park is Travis County as well. Where is the dividing line?
It basically follows Anderson Mill Rd where a few neighborhoods on the east side of Anderson Mill have small sections that are technically inside Travis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
You are correct.
Cedar Park & Round Rock were asleep at the wheel when they let the greedy imperialist City of Austin start annexing Wilco territory all the way up 183 and I-35. Very regrettable.
However, thanks to the legislature in the late 1990s Brushy Creek MUD was at least able to vote ourselves out of Austin’s ETJ into Round Rock’s.
Just wondering, does Austin still consider annexing municipalities this far north or has that ceased?

Last edited by Need4Camaro; 11-21-2020 at 07:53 PM..

Old 11-22-2020, 08:07 AM

743 posts, read 1,372,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swizzle Stick View Post
Google maps says it's in Williamson County. You will see WWHS in the middle of the map, zoom out and you will see that it's in Williamson County (highlighted):

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Wi...!4d-97.6982272

The HS is located in the city of Austin though, which may be where the confusion lies.
Ah ok, fair enough. I knew there was some boundary straddling going on, thanks for the clarification. I guess my point was more that a large number of the students who attend Westwood live in Travis county, so this decision came as much from Traviis County residents as it did from Williamson's.

A lot of people are surprised to learn that a Round Rock ISD high school (Westwood) is located in Austin, not in Round Rock.

Old 11-22-2020, 10:20 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,633,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
[...]

Just wondering, does Austin still consider annexing municipalities this far north or has that ceased?
A city cannot annex municipalities (only unincorporated areas) nor can it annex areas in another municipalities ETJ.

Old 11-22-2020, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
A city cannot annex municipalities (only unincorporated areas) nor can it annex areas in another municipalities ETJ.
Correct. Austin is now blocked by Cedar Park, Brushy Creek MUD and Round Rock ETJs from any more northward expansion. Too bad they didn’t “wake up” 45 years ago.

Old 11-22-2020, 12:35 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,478,210 times
Quote:
Thank you for the information. That explains why I see Travis County Sheriff's cars in CP sometimes.
Boundaries are really hazy around here. A city may be straddling two counties - ie. Cedar Park. The subdivision Twin Creeks, for example, is in Travis. You have instances where one part of a subdivision is in Travis and the other is in Williamson. Parts of Leander are in Travis. Both Leander and CP are thought of as Williamson County, however, even if some parts technically aren't.

I used to live in an unannexed area where most of the subdivision was in Travis but there was a small section of lots that were in Williamson's ETJ. Yet the subdivision entrance was in Travis. Calling the cops or emergency services was dodgy as the dispatchers at the time weren't sure which to dispatch - Wilco or Travis. (Actually whoever is nearby). Thankfully nothing major happened due to the delay in response. The subdivision (I guess with the exception of those lots) was later annexed by Pflugerville, solving that problem.

Old 11-22-2020, 03:04 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,478,210 times
Quote:
Thank you for that information. I like Leander, considering a move there. I purchased in CP, but I would probably just use this for rental income.
Leander is nice. I like the parts that have hill country views and prefer older housing stock (I dislike new construction). But admittedly I’m partial to round rock and pflugerville since I’ve lived here almost 15 years at this point. By any chance are you from New York? I’m from the city, Bronx born and raised. Moved here almost 17 years ago. Haven’t lost my accent or much of my New York identity but I do say bless your heart and right quick often.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin