Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2020, 05:07 PM

9,848 posts, read 13,689,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
With all the road work around San Marco's, I-35 down there isn't that great either. Taking the 130 to bypass it leaves you in that long construction zone around E.SATX on I-10.. ..but its better than Waco I guess.
Honestly that but by Posey Road is a blip. There’s more back-up right through town and in New Braunfels where they are adding new lanes. They push all the lanes to the access road and it gets bottlenecked..but not nearly as bad as even south Austin construction. Taking 130 adds on another hour of a drive. My destination is always on the northwest side. I have only once taken 130 all the way to Seguin and that was in 2015 after the Halloween floods. I’ll take 45 and 130 (maybe 183) to get around south Austin 35 traffic, but it really doesn’t make a difference time wise...and with the increase in speed it’s a gas waster, even if I do have a hybrid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2020, 07:47 PM

11,779 posts, read 7,992,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
Honestly that but by Posey Road is a blip. There’s more back-up right through town and in New Braunfels where they are adding new lanes. They push all the lanes to the access road and it gets bottlenecked..but not nearly as bad as even south Austin construction. Taking 130 adds on another hour of a drive. My destination is always on the northwest side. I have only once taken 130 all the way to Seguin and that was in 2015 after the Halloween floods. I’ll take 45 and 130 (maybe 183) to get around south Austin 35 traffic, but it really doesn’t make a difference time wise...and with the increase in speed it’s a gas waster, even if I do have a hybrid.
My hybrid's gas mileage just tanks like a rock after 70 to the point it doesn't really save me much more fuel than my SS. I can feather foot it but I risk getting run off the road when traffic is moving in the more rural areas. When doing 65 MPH or lower I can crack about 48 - 50 MPG, but after that it tanks very fast. 75 - 80 I'm only able to do about 32 - 33. In the SS at the same speeds I can crack about 28 - 30.

Old 12-19-2020, 09:01 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,544,472 times
Quote:
My hybrid's gas mileage just tanks like a rock after 70 to the point it doesn't really save me much more fuel than my SS. I can feather foot it but I risk getting run off the road when traffic is moving in the more rural areas. When doing 65 MPH or lower I can crack about 48 - 50 MPG, but after that it tanks very fast. 75 - 80 I'm only able to do about 32 - 33. In the SS at the same speeds I can crack about 28 - 30.
I can't wait to see the mileage DW is getting on this trip in the XC40. Cruising @ 70-72mph usually yields well over 30mpg; but 90 minutes of construction traffic will really mess with that!

Old 12-19-2020, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
I can't wait to see the mileage DW is getting on this trip in the XC40. Cruising @ 70-72mph usually yields well over 30mpg; but 90 minutes of construction traffic will really mess with that!
I want to replace my Prius with a Camry Hybrid, much better car IMO, more pickup and better fuel mileage too. In stop and go traffic my SS mileage tanks. My Prius is much better in stop and go because it just uses the battery. When on long road trips though my Prius is horrible. Have to fill up too many times because the smaller fuel tank and it doesnt get that much better mileage than my SS @ 75 and 80. When I go to Atlanta I fillup the SS just outside of Monroe LA and once again just outside of Birmingham AL so including Austin, thats about 3 fillups with a tank of gas left to do whatever I need to do in ATL.

Old 12-20-2020, 05:21 AM

I gain mileage when sitting in traffic with my Niro.

Old 12-20-2020, 09:13 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,544,472 times
Quote:
I want to replace my Prius with a Camry Hybrid, much better car IMO, more pickup and better fuel mileage too. In stop and go traffic my SS mileage tanks. My Prius is much better in stop and go because it just uses the battery. When on long road trips though my Prius is horrible. Have to fill up too many times because the smaller fuel tank and it doesnt get that much better mileage than my SS @ 75 and 80. When I go to Atlanta I fillup the SS just outside of Monroe LA and once again just outside of Birmingham AL so including Austin, thats about 3 fillups with a tank of gas left to do whatever I need to do in ATL.

Is that at the West Monroe(Thomas Rd) exit???
Have you noticed they have TWO Chick fil A restaurants within 100 yards of each other??? AND a Cane's right across the street!! That is ONE chicken finger-lovin' interchange!!!!

That was the first Cane's I ever visited(about 13 years ago) and remember standing at the counter, half-brain-dead from the drive from Atlanta, staring at the unfamiliar menu. The cute young lady at the counter said, "All I need to know is 'How many?' " We got a chuckle out of that!

Old 12-20-2020, 12:06 PM

12,946 posts, read 13,330,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
Why not drive mopac down to 71, west to 281, then on down to SA?

Old 12-20-2020, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Why not drive mopac down to 71, west to 281, then on down to SA?
35 doesn’t bother me. I live on 183 (my address is Bastrop Hwy). It takes more effort to get around 35 than to get through it. I can get home in one hour and 20 minutes (even an hour and ten if traffic is minimal). Right now google maps say 1 hour 28 minutes taking 35. Taking 130 is an hour and 38 minutes and then they give me the option to take 183 to 21 in San Marcos to 35 which is 2 hours and 21 minutes. 281 isn’t even an option. Moving things around taking 290 through Blanco is 2 hours and 3 minutes.]

Sometimes I think people out so much thought in avoiding it that they don’t realize it’s still the easiest option. I understand the headache of 35 and the stress it causes people and why they choose to go other ways, but for me, I'd rather just get there then find an alternative route. Now, if we're talking about running and I need a long run, then I'll add on the loops and go the long way, but driving, I just want to get there.

Last edited by ashbeeigh; 12-20-2020 at 02:17 PM..

Old 12-20-2020, 02:04 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,387,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Apricot View Post
30 + years and counting for that I35 project.

When I first rode on I35 we were bringing my sister to college at Southwestern in Georgetown from East Texas. (Northern part.) They were just building I35 at that point.

Since then, we moved to Dallas, and then I moved to Austin, and my husband is from San Antonio.

Every single time I have been on I35 (and that's a LOT) there has been construction. Every.single.time. That first trip would have been in the 1950's. That's not 30 years; that's 60+ years of non-stop construction!

Old 12-20-2020, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
Is that at the West Monroe(Thomas Rd) exit???
Have you noticed they have TWO Chick fil A restaurants within 100 yards of each other??? AND a Cane's right across the street!! That is ONE chicken finger-lovin' interchange!!!!

That was the first Cane's I ever visited(about 13 years ago) and remember standing at the counter, half-brain-dead from the drive from Atlanta, staring at the unfamiliar menu. The cute young lady at the counter said, "All I need to know is 'How many?' " We got a chuckle out of that!
I haven’t seen that. I usually just go to Loves and Pilot. Loves is pretty good about letting you get free coffee if it’s the only thing you’re buying. I used to use gas buddy trip planner to save a few bucks but it started landing me in pretty questionable areas and gas stations that weren’t open 24x7 so I just go to Loves / Pilot / TA / Petro / QuickTrip when I’m on the road.

My first time at Canes was here in Austin. I was trying to go to Freddy’s steakburgers but I overshot it so I made a U-turn and came across Canes. I was addicted to them for about a year afterward. Love their sauce. If I get hungry at midnight there are times I will trek from Leander to the Canes / ChilFilA on MLK near UT outside Downtown Austin because they’re the only ones that stay open late.

I took I-35 to Dallas this morning. It went pretty well fortunately. Didn’t run into any problems besides the occasional holiday driver in lala land hogging up the left lane.

Last edited by Need4Camaro; 12-20-2020 at 03:24 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin