Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2021, 11:00 PM

11,848 posts, read 8,062,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastafellow View Post
Enter your home address at this site to find providers near you.

https://txdshs.maps.arcgis.com/apps/...a4acfe4a05920a
Interestingly, this site says HEB Pharmacy local to me provides them.. ..is that accurate? I guess I wasn't exactly expecting HEB to be providing them. Thought it would be more clinic based.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2021, 05:05 AM

9,853 posts, read 13,721,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Interestingly, this site says HEB Pharmacy local to me provides them.. ..is that accurate? I guess I wasn't exactly expecting HEB to be providing them. Thought it would be more clinic based.
You can call and ask. It depends on the heb. My company said we could go to one a few miles from my hospital. The one closer to use has a sign out saying they didn’t have the vaccine yet when I went in yesterday after work.

https://newsroom.heb.com/covid-19-vaccine/. And cvs will also be providing the vaccine https://cvshealth.com/covid-19/vaccine-information

Also, if you watch the news you’ll see other cities public health agencies are giving them out too, not just doctor’s offices.
https://www.wfla.com/news/florida/li...-johns-county/

Old 01-04-2021, 05:25 AM

37,133 posts, read 41,343,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
In 1947, New York City vaccinated 6 million people against smallpox in less than a month. Politics and the incompetence of our current government, federal and state, is literally killing people.
It seems the 1947 campaign was not without problems, and that number has been questioned.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3323221/

Old 01-04-2021, 06:22 AM

70 posts, read 83,874 times
Each of the pharmacies on the map, with the exception of Tarrytown, received 100 doses. That’s obviously not enough. Bigger batches went to hospitals and large practices, such as ARC, where I wouldn’t have access. My PCP doesn’t plan to stock the vaccine.

I wish the federal government would deploy the military to vaccinate citizens.

Old 01-04-2021, 07:06 AM

8,007 posts, read 10,446,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
To be fair, small pox didn't need as careful of transportation and handling protocols. The cold temperatures required for storage and the process for prepping them for use is quite problematic and requires training or a lot of doses will go to waste and some vaccinations will be more ineffective.

Also, I suspect we could get this done in a single month in a single city even with these requirements. Getting them all over the country is a problem.

All that said, it is a legacy of the outgoing administration that they DGAF about prepping for the vaccines and a lot of the logistical issues should have been addressed and funded months ago...
It is entirely possible to transport the vaccine to mobile vaccination sites. Without going into to much detail, I work for one of the entities that is handling the storage of the vaccine. Companies like UPS and FedEx bought the refrigeration units months ago in anticipation of this. Somehow they had more foresight than the government. BTW - I don't work for FedEx or UPS.

Old 01-04-2021, 07:09 AM

8,007 posts, read 10,446,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
HEB is administering the vaccine, but they are only doing group 1A right now. Many locations have already run out of vaccine and still haven't completed the 1A group.

HEB has said they will have a sign-up on their website soon. They have actually come under criticism for not having that up already, seeing as they've known about this for months.

Old 01-04-2021, 07:16 AM

15,273 posts, read 35,673,575 times
Quote:
It is entirely possible to transport the vaccine to mobile vaccination sites. Without going into to much detail, I work for one of the entities that is handling the storage of the vaccine. Companies like UPS and FedEx bought the refrigeration units months ago in anticipation of this. Somehow they had more foresight than the government. BTW - I don't work for FedEx or UPS.
Oh, I am sure it is possible to transport (via UPS, FedEx, or whoever), but what is their capacity for transporting? And when it gets there, are the people trained yet and have facilities to store it? Is there a paperwork process to document they are being handled correctly, etc?

People joke, but companies like FedEx, HEB, and Chick-fil-e all have more foresight than our current government. Stopping, or slowing, the virus is a complicated problem with connections to people psyche, the economy, and tons of unknowns. Distributing a vaccine is simple if the government had put any effort into it at all. It is completely baffling and unforgivable to not have this structured and funded well ahead of the vaccine approval date. In the end, it would pay for itself quickly, as each month of being behind in the process prevents us from returning to a more normal footing.

HEB (an others) are confused about the process because they have probably been told next to nothing

Old 01-04-2021, 07:18 AM

15,273 posts, read 35,673,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justtryharder View Post
Each of the pharmacies on the map, with the exception of Tarrytown, received 100 doses. That’s obviously not enough. Bigger batches went to hospitals and large practices, such as ARC, where I wouldn’t have access. My PCP doesn’t plan to stock the vaccine.

I wish the federal government would deploy the military to vaccinate citizens.
Why can't you go to ARC?

Old 01-04-2021, 07:24 AM

9,853 posts, read 13,721,374 times
Quote:
HEB is administering the vaccine, but they are only doing group 1A right now. Many locations have already run out of vaccine and still haven't completed the 1A group.

HEB has said they will have a sign-up on their website soon. They have actually come under criticism for not having that up already, seeing as they've known about this for months.
I was told the week before Christmas that HEB would be able to provide vaccines to us. I'm not high risk enough to go and track down a vaccine through making phone calls to all the HEBs in the south and central Texas area, so, I'll either wait and see if they have their sign-up system together before my ARC appointment next week. I'd really like to have it, and I've been frustrated with my company since March, so my baseline is annoyed, but not enough to do anything about it.

Old 01-04-2021, 09:15 AM

70 posts, read 83,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
Why can't you go to ARC?
You have to be an existing patient.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin