Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2021, 09:28 AM

12 posts, read 12,484 times

Advertisements

Husband has a job in Manor, looking for family friendly areas with good schools, options for private school. Would like somewhere thats small town feel. Commutable up to 45min-1hr. I have a rising kindergartener and 3rd grader. Also looking for summer child care if there are any camps, churches that are offering!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2021, 10:11 AM

9,853 posts, read 13,708,956 times
For "good" small town schools you'll want to be well west of Austin, which is the opposite of Manor. I quickly put in "Avery Ranch" to "Manor New Tech High School" into google and it says right now it's about a 30 minute drive. I'm not sure how accurate that would be for rush hour times though. You might be right on the edge of your hour commute. I'm not quite sure that Cedar Park or Leander are the "small town" you're looking for. Unfortunately, many of the more rural, small districts aren't nearly as rigorous as more suburban districts. You might want to look into Manor proper too. I'll let the commute talk up to the many northwest Austin residents.

Old 04-23-2021, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
For "good" small town schools you'll want to be well west of Austin.
We were looking around round rock, pflugerville. Are those not good areas? We stayed in the Taylor/Hutto and really liked that area, but didn't make it to pflugerville this trip so im wondering if we should go back and look?

Old 04-23-2021, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bynumces View Post
We were looking around round rock, pflugerville. Are those not good areas? We stayed in the Taylor/Hutto and really liked that area, but didn't make it to pflugerville this trip so im wondering if we should go back and look?
Pflugerville is hit or miss. Round Rock is "fine" to "great" depending on which feeder pattern you end up in. Note that those patterns may change with the addition of new housing.

Old 04-23-2021, 12:44 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,493,788 times
Pflugerville would be, in my opinion, a better option since it is on the east side. I wouldn't commute from Avery Ranch if I don't have to.

Every DISTRICT is hit or miss, except for Eanes. Rowe Lane, Murchison, Kelly Lane Midde, Hendrickson...are all good schools and far east Pflugerville is exploding with more schools.

OP, check out Blackhawk, Falcon Pointe, and all of those subdivisions close to SH 45.

You didn't mention price, as in how much are you willing to spend.

Small town really doesn't exist anymore in the better inner ring suburbs except for Georgetown, which has tried hard to preserve that character. But it too far out IMO when working in Manor.

Old 04-23-2021, 01:27 PM

riaelise - Thanks for the info we will definitely check those out! We are going the unpopular route of renting before we buy just to make sure we like the area as we are coming from out of state.

Old 04-23-2021, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bynumces View Post
riaelise - Thanks for the info we will definitely check those out! We are going the unpopular route of renting before we buy just to make sure we like the area as we are coming from out of state.
That's not an unpopular route! Especially with kids you need to find the "right" place for you. Shoot, I've been here going on six years and I still don't know if I would feel safe picking an area to buy. There's so man different places that have good and bad to them.

Old 04-23-2021, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
That's not an unpopular route! Especially with kids you need to find the "right" place for you. Shoot, I've been here going on six years and I still don't know if I would feel safe picking an area to buy. There's so man different places that have good and bad to them.

Thats so true! thanks Ashbeeigh! If you know of any realtors that work in rentals let me know! i think thats been our biggest struggle is finding someone to give us information on what the process is. We own now, and haven't rented for yearrrrrs and when we did it was an individual, not a management company so we didnt have a lot of hoops to jump.

Old 04-23-2021, 05:11 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,135,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Pflugerville would be, in my opinion, a better option since it is on the east side. I wouldn't commute from Avery Ranch if I don't have to.

Every DISTRICT is hit or miss, except for Eanes. Rowe Lane, Murchison, Kelly Lane Midde, Hendrickson...are all good schools and far east Pflugerville is exploding with more schools.

OP, check out Blackhawk, Falcon Pointe, and all of those subdivisions close to SH 45.

You didn't mention price, as in how much are you willing to spend.

Small town really doesn't exist anymore in the better inner ring suburbs except for Georgetown, which has tried hard to preserve that character. But it too far out IMO when working in Manor.
I agree that pflugerville is a good option. Each district will have some good school chains and some bad school chains. Even the bad ones probably arent that bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin