Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2021, 11:42 AM

11,854 posts, read 8,074,133 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX Wahine View Post
That was a big shocker for me as well. I’m a native of San Francisco, used to cold foggy Julys. I thought I was prepared for Austin winters.

WRONG.

The bitter cold of winter here is bracing to me, still, after 14 years. I’ve come to the conclusion that overall I am an enormous weather wimp. I want 85 degrees and sun every day of the year. I blame it on being Hawaiian.
Yeah what is interesting is it can actually get just as cold here as it gets in Seattle WA during winter. Difference is we also get warmer days to make up for it, but we also get those merciless cold windy days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2021, 11:46 AM

31,292 posts, read 20,776,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcginty74 View Post
Let's talk good bad and ugly. I am possibly relocating to Austin area but the one thing that gives me pause is the heat. I am from Georgia so I grew up in a hot sunny climate, but I know Texas heat is on another level. My work requires me to work outside through the year, about an hour every week day.

Would love to hear from locals how truly awful the heat is there? Is it impossible to be outside during the daytime in the summer months? Do people stay inside for months of the year in the air conditioning?

What is the bad and the ugly in your experience with the heat in Austin?
I lived in Atlanta for five years. Austin is hotter, but not as humid so about the same on a comfort scale.

Austin is also much warmer during the winter and gets about half as much rain as Atlanta.

Most of us have learned to live with the heat and so we don't stay inside. I play golf every month of the year and just as much in July as I do in October.

Old 05-17-2021, 04:22 PM

66 posts, read 58,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
I wanted to curl up in a ball of frizzy curly hair and die this morning.
why what do you mean? the heat already is here now?

Old 05-17-2021, 04:34 PM

66 posts, read 58,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX Wahine View Post
That was a big shocker for me as well. I’m a native of San Francisco, used to cold foggy Julys. I thought I was prepared for Austin winters.

WRONG.

The bitter cold of winter here is bracing to me, still, after 14 years. I’ve come to the conclusion that overall I am an enormous weather wimp. I want 85 degrees and sun every day of the year. I blame it on being Hawaiian.
so I'm confused (not from Austin..) but I've heard it said Austin doesn't get a winter. Does it really get cold like this? I thought Dallas does but not in Austin

Old 05-17-2021, 04:57 PM

9,854 posts, read 13,727,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ym2m11 View Post
so I'm confused (not from Austin..) but I've heard it said Austin doesn't get a winter. Does it really get cold like this? I thought Dallas does but not in Austin
This winter was off the charts weird. It was record breaking cold. I have friends in Wisconsin (northern) and they were even telling me they would be miserable. Generally, though, we will have a stretch of a few 40 degree high days with one or two “snow” or “ice days” where we shut down. But, be prepared for complaining saying it wasn’t as bad as this winter.

Old 05-17-2021, 05:14 PM

4,510 posts, read 4,637,419 times
This winter wasn't really all that bad in Austin except for that spell with the deep freeze. Here it is the middle of May and it's seems alot cooler than most Mays in Austin. I had the heat on a few nights ago.

Old 05-17-2021, 06:05 PM

216 posts, read 180,678 times
After Dubai it is ok, even pools do not need cooling.

Old 05-17-2021, 06:18 PM

11,854 posts, read 8,074,133 times
Quote:
It doesn’t get a traditional winter like seen in the Midwest and Northeast with consistent below freezing days and snow or the need for snow plows but it does get much cooler here than one would imagine for being so far south. Technically Austin is further south than Phoenix or Los Angeles but we get colder than both. We get our fair share of freezing precipitation and instances that we dip below freezing. Difference is it typically is only for a day or two then we’re back in the 40’s or low 50’s. Another thing is, after enduring a 100* summer, 50*F in relativity actually feels colder than it really is.

Old 05-24-2021, 09:32 AM

31,292 posts, read 20,776,855 times
Quote:
We get a winter, just not very many freezes. This year was the coldest in a century, but in some winters we get none or maybe one or two freezes.

Old 05-25-2021, 12:15 PM

4 posts, read 3,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
It doesn’t get a traditional winter like seen in the Midwest and Northeast with consistent below freezing days and snow or the need for snow plows but it does get much cooler here than one would imagine for being so far south. Technically Austin is further south than Phoenix or Los Angeles but we get colder than both. We get our fair share of freezing precipitation and instances that we dip below freezing. Difference is it typically is only for a day or two then we’re back in the 40’s or low 50’s. Another thing is, after enduring a 100* summer, 50*F in relativity actually feels colder than it really is.
Very valid point, makes both the summers and winters unbearable. Also, around 90 in the night time for more than a month or two, is terrible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin