Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2021, 04:40 PM

727 posts, read 304,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
It is not easy to find a good Chinese restaurant these days,some have replaced Chinese with Mexican cook,they are not used to intense heat quick stir fry.
Even in Houston Chinatown,the quality has gone downhill,the dishwasher is now the day time cook.
Thank you. I have had some Asian Fusion in Houston. Good Vietnamese food.

Old 05-16-2021, 05:43 PM

11,834 posts, read 8,033,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
I think he wants dine in authentic Chinese food,not Panda Express
I personally took it as sarcasm. I think he is inferring we don’t really have any good Chinese restaurants.

Old 05-16-2021, 05:49 PM

9,853 posts, read 13,708,956 times
Ask in the Eat Drink to Go (or Eat Drink Dine In) facebook group on facebook. It's a solid facebook group full of foodies. They have yet to steer me in the wrong direction. (I'm allergic to soy so I skip Chinese)

Old 05-16-2021, 06:14 PM

2,335 posts, read 815,840 times
Full disclosure: These restaurants were recommended to me but I have not had the opportunity to eat at any of them (the recommendation was given to me a couple of months before the pandemic started)

Jade Restaurant Austin - Jade Restaurant Austin

https://www.chinacafelakeline.com/

https://wuchowaustin.com/

https://oldthousandatx.com/

P.S. I have experienced the same problem since moving here. If you happen to get to one of these before I do, please report back in this thread. I will return the favor.

Old 05-16-2021, 07:09 PM

727 posts, read 304,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
Ask in the Eat Drink to Go (or Eat Drink Dine In) facebook group on facebook. It's a solid facebook group full of foodies. They have yet to steer me in the wrong direction. (I'm allergic to soy so I skip Chinese)
I deleted my Facebook account about a month ago. Had no reason to be on it. Thank you though.

Old 05-17-2021, 06:22 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,135,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightZeroTX View Post
Hi ya'all. I am fairly new to Texas, moved here about ten months ago. I have yet to find any decent Chinese Restaurants. I live in Cedar Park not too far from the Austin border. Oh, and the Italian food here is not what I expected, maybe I am spoiled coming from the East Coast. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
yeah austin doesnt have a lot. Most of the chinese retaurants are owned by vietnamese which is why the food isnt quite right.

1) new fortune closed but I believe is reopening in round rock.
2) din ho has been decent for years, some people say first chinese bbq is good, but we dont like it. I think they are related somehow but Ive forgotten the story (something about people from dallas stealing recipes).
3) asia cafe has been good in the past
4) chinatown had good dim sum at one point, but new fortune stole their chefs. Not sure if they have recovered or not.
5) china family is supposed to be good but I havent been there.
6) we like coco's cafe for taiwanese food and boba

I havent been to wuchow, but i believe it is expensive hipster chinese food. Lin is also all white people eating there and decent. My family loves it, but I think it is just ok. I think they just like the hipsterness of it.

The ones I listed are the only ones that are known for the chinese food. Most are basically texmex of chinese food (e.g. the one that camaro mentioned)

For italian it depends on what you are looking for but austin is bad for italian. Andiamo is probably the only italian that is similar to basic long island italian family restaurants. Saccones is also decent. When my friends have opened restaurants I have asked them to open a good italian restaurant, but they keep opening sushi restaurants and the like.

Other good italian:
red ashe
vespaio (I dont like it, but a lot of people do)
North
Some people like sienna, but I thought it was just ok.

Almost no one uses fresh pasta.

Last edited by Austin97; 05-17-2021 at 06:35 AM..

Old 05-17-2021, 07:12 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,063,046 times
Reading all this makes me grateful for my undiscerning palate. I've never had bad Chinese food. It all tastes good to me. Even at the food court at Barton Creek Mall. Even out of the fridge cold next morning.

Kung Pao Chicken is my go to. But I also love a big bowl of chicken fried rice. Or a plate of General Tso's Chicken.

On a side note, the whole MSG thing was a hoax. Anyone who says "no MSG" when ordering is also saying "I'm an idiot who believes anything I hear".

Old 05-17-2021, 07:22 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,135,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
Reading all this makes me grateful for my undiscerning palate. I've never had bad Chinese food. It all tastes good to me. Even at the food court at Barton Creek Mall. Even out of the fridge cold next morning.

Kung Pao Chicken is my go to. But I also love a big bowl of chicken fried rice. Or a plate of General Tso's Chicken.

On a side note, the whole MSG thing was a hoax. Anyone who says "no MSG" when ordering is also saying "I'm an idiot who believes anything I hear".
unfortunately kung pao chicken and general tso's chicken are not actual chinese food..

Same with sweet and sour pork, sesame chicken, etc.

They were created in america for white people's palates (sickly sweet) and are essentially american food. Not that I dont like them. Chinese people dont eat sweet food like that, even the desserts traditionally are barely sweet.

Im not sure what you mean by MSG is a hoax. Restaurants definitely use MSG and for people like me, I can tell the difference as the MSG acts like a knockout pill

Old 05-17-2021, 07:23 AM

10,864 posts, read 6,493,031 times
Do they still use MSG in Chinese food?
One giveaway is after you eat,you feel thirsty,if too much MSG,some get a headache

Old 05-17-2021, 08:26 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,561,432 times
I usually agree with steve; but not on the MSG thing. My sister could eat one bite of something with MSG and have a nasty reaction within 30 minutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin