Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2021, 01:51 PM

2,335 posts, read 816,023 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
While I am not going to argue that the media has been a over the top and downright misleading at times, your post #62 is a good example of the same thing, more or less. The current graph of hospital admissions is shown below. To claim that we are fine because we are lower than Jan 1 is to ignore the fact that the graph indicates we could be there in no time at all.

Might the peak look different? It certainly could - the fact that vaccinated people make up half the population and are essentially not ending up in those admission stats would certainly lend credence to that theory. The fact that Delta spreads so much easier, though, could counter balance that effect somewhat - which dovetails in perfectly with a shorter duration.

In the UK, the positive cases peaked for Delta at ~85% of the previous peak. Granted, that is not admissions, so not completely analogous but the comparison of the two peaks is probably correct.
Who claimed we were fine? That's you reading into things. My words... "At least in that way, people would understand that we were trending up but in no way would it be this Henny Penny "sky is falling" routine the press likes to get into". It needs to be put in context.

As for transparency, it's amazing to me that the FDA back in October were well aware of some the adverse effects and yet how often does the news, the FDA, or CDC share that type of info...answer: NEVER.

This was a rough draft from the FDA's own website (so sorry, this ain't some anti-vax stuff that so many people like to scream about when something doesn't agree with their viewpoint)

https://www.fda.gov/media/143557/download

DRAFT Working list of possible adverse event outcomes

***Subject to change***
 Guillain-Barré syndrome
 Acute disseminated encephalomyelitis
 Transverse myelitis
 Encephalitis/myelitis/encephalomyelitis/
meningoencephalitis/meningitis/
encepholapathy
 Convulsions/seizures
 Stroke
 Narcolepsy and cataplexy
 Anaphylaxis
 Acute myocardial infarction
 Myocarditis/pericarditis
 Autoimmune disease
 Deaths
 Pregnancy and birth outcomes
 Other acute demyelinating diseases
 Non-anaphylactic allergic reactions
 Thrombocytopenia
 Disseminated intravascular coagulation
 Venous thromboembolism
 Arthritis and arthralgia/joint pain
 Kawasaki disease
 Multisystem Inflammatory Syndrome
in Children
 Vaccine enhanced disease

Israel actually stopped in their tracks on the myocarditis issue. I even had a good friend (very much pro-vaccine) talk to an infectious disease expert and she even recommended she hold off on giving her son a 2nd shot until we get to the bottom of this.

I just think it's the lack of transparency is pathetic in the United States right now. And our country always seems to be a follower (Israel and the WHO have been well ahead of us on everything). It's like the CDC just follows suit after the info is already out there almost because they're forced into it.

Sorry to digress a bit from the Austin area, but all this stuff just fits into a nice little ball of disingenuous, misleading behavior.

P.S. And I will take Israel's info any day over the UK. They have the best controlled situation in the world as far as I'm concerned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2021, 01:55 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,653,691 times
But you left out the context of possible side effects of Covid and only put possible vaccine side effects, and did not include rate of occurrence (for each and comparatively). So you are doing exactly what you complain about the media doing .

But I will let it drop, as well.

Old 07-30-2021, 01:56 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,493,788 times
I strongly feel that unvaccinated, unmasked people should NOT be working in customer facing positions. PERIOD. Got a contact notification the other day that the unmasked, unvaccinated contractor that was working in and outside of my house tested positive for COVID 19. The company that employs this contractor apparently believes in "don't know, don't ask, don't tell" policy when it comes to vaccination status, but at the very least the guy was supposed to wear a mask. My firm has flatly stated that everyone that is in our office, client or otherwise, must be vaccinated. End of story, and as a private employer they can mandate that. Good.

Old 07-30-2021, 01:56 PM

Quote:
But you left out the context of possible side effects of Covid and only put possible vaccine side effects, and did not include rate of occurrence (for each and comparatively). So you are doing exactly what you complain about the media doing .

I merely linked you to the FDA report on it. You're welcome to read all that in their report

Old 07-30-2021, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
I strongly feel that unvaccinated, unmasked people should NOT be working in customer facing positions. PERIOD. Got a contact notification the other day that the unmasked, unvaccinated contractor that was working in and outside of my house tested positive for COVID 19. The company that employs this contractor apparently believes in "don't know, don't ask, don't tell" policy when it comes to vaccination status, but at the very least the guy was supposed to wear a mask. My firm has flatly stated that everyone that is in our office, client or otherwise, must be vaccinated. End of story, and as a private employer they can mandate that. Good.
Indeed they can. The corporate office my wife works at requires that anyone that is vaccinated go through a portal and submit a scanned copy of their vaccine card (they went back to work 2 days a week starting in July). Anyone that doesn't do that is required to wear a mask. My wife said she estimates that 80% are not wearing masks (so they've been approved). They have had 1-2 cases per week since that time, have pushed back from going to 3 days, and have said if anyone has a compelling reason to continue to WFH to just talk to their supervisor. I found it surprising (until I saw the Israel report) that they had that many cases.

Old 07-30-2021, 02:18 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,135,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dicipher View Post
The running mantra that 99% of all hospitalizations are from unvaccinated being rammed down people's throats from every news outlets is indeed implying that.

How different the response to the narrative would be if the media said that hospitalizations are down by over 70% from where they were at the start of the year and the amount of unvaccinated in the hospital is down over 20k. But they'd never do that because fear sells.
This is inane.

If hospitalization numbers were flat I would agree with you. But they arent, the slope is very steep, equivalent to november of 2020.

https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tra...tal-admissions

Here is the austin hospitalization graph
https://www.reddit.com/r/Austin/comm...ported_54_new/

Last edited by Austin97; 07-30-2021 at 02:27 PM..

Old 07-30-2021, 02:20 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,135,731 times
Quote:

myocarditis due to covid is much higher than myocarditis due to the vaccine.

Old 07-30-2021, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
This is inane.

If hospitalization numbers were flat I would agree with you. But they arent, the slope is very steep, equivalent to november of 2020.

https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tra...tal-admissions

Here is the austin hospitalization graph
https://www.reddit.com/r/Austin/comm...ported_54_new/
You're not showing me something I haven't seen already. We can agree to disagree. I think the media is completely disingenuous.

Old 07-30-2021, 02:54 PM

Yet another interesting report out today from the CDC (after some pressure to release it I'm sure)

CDC study shows 74% of people infected in Massachusetts Covid outbreak were fully vaccinated

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnb...accinated.html

Maybe at some point we can stop ostracizing people and start working together.

Old 07-30-2021, 03:10 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,653,691 times
How many of those 74% end up in the hospital or die will be the important metric.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin