Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2022, 03:29 AM

25 posts, read 36,216 times

Advertisements

I’ve been eyeing a potential move to this neighborhood did a little bit and am curious if anyone here that lives in Star Ranch or knows a bit about it can advise on how the community is developing. Is it fully built out? What are the pros/cons of living there? How’s the crime in the area? Is there any new development planned directly in or around the neighborhood? How does it stack up compared to other master planned communities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2022, 04:03 AM

9,850 posts, read 13,693,812 times
It’s in the outskirts of the city. I assume it’s fine. Have you been there to see if it’s built out? Spoken to a. User or realtor? Did you search the zip code here on city data to see what the crime stats were? Pros may be the affordability and cons may be not being in Austin proper, but that could be a lot for you. I’ve never heard of it, so I’ll leave the rest up to more knowledgeable posters.

Old 01-10-2022, 09:41 AM

I have driven out there. I talked to two of the builders reps out there and they were unsure of any further development because they aren't building in the next phase. They weren't able to give me a community map or anything from the developer either =/

Looking at crime stats is different from getting that on the ground feedback from people in the area.

I'm really just checking to see if anyone on here is willing to share their experience living out there. I know it's been around for a decade and should have a fairly established community.

Old 01-10-2022, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigRig View Post
I have driven out there. I talked to two of the builders reps out there and they were unsure of any further development because they aren't building in the next phase. They weren't able to give me a community map or anything from the developer either =/

Looking at crime stats is different from getting that on the ground feedback from people in the area.

I'm really just checking to see if anyone on here is willing to share their experience living out there. I know it's been around for a decade and should have a fairly established community.
I apologize for my spelling mistakes earlier. I haven't seen anyone mention Star Ranch before here, so I'm not sure if there are many established posters that have experience with the area. But, I could be wrong.

Old 01-10-2022, 10:59 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,475,235 times
I don't live out there, but I live near there in Round Rock.

It's been around for over a decade, so it is pretty well established.

The area as a whole doesn't have much violent crime but there is property crime. Maybe Hutto PD (on their website) can give you some crime stats?

It's a nice midde of the road neighborhood, and it has a golf course, so that's good.

The area is exploding with development, hence why Star Ranch keeps growing and growing. There's a big HEB near 130 and an accompanying newish strip mall with it (which is like a few minutes from the heart of Star Ranch). Additionally, Stone Hill (in Pflugerville) is just down the road, which is a big shopping center that has loads of retail. Star Ranch is centrally located to a lot of stuff in Pflugerville and eastern Round Rock.

what master planned communities are you comparing it to? Forest Creek in RR? Blackhawk in Pflugerville? There aren't many, if any, other master planned communities in Hutto proper. But that may change now since Hutto is a popular destination.

What is your housing budget?

Old 01-10-2022, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
I don't live out there, but I live near there in Round Rock.

It's been around for over a decade, so it is pretty well established.

The area as a whole doesn't have much violent crime but there is property crime. Maybe Hutto PD (on their website) can give you some crime stats?

It's a nice midde of the road neighborhood, and it has a golf course, so that's good.

The area is exploding with development, hence why Star Ranch keeps growing and growing. There's a big HEB near 130 and an accompanying newish strip mall with it (which is like a few minutes from the heart of Star Ranch). Additionally, Stone Hill (in Pflugerville) is just down the road, which is a big shopping center that has loads of retail. Star Ranch is centrally located to a lot of stuff in Pflugerville and eastern Round Rock.

what master planned communities are you comparing it to? Forest Creek in RR? Blackhawk in Pflugerville? There aren't many, if any, other master planned communities in Hutto proper. But that may change now since Hutto is a popular destination.

What is your housing budget?
Thanks for the informative reply! My budget is in the $400k-$600k range. I’ve been looking into Sunfield (Buda) Carmel (pflugerville). Opposite ends of town but still touching Austin. Most of the Leander, Georgetown and Cedar Park neighborhoods are out of my budget. Liberty Hill, Kyle and Jarrell are too far and I just can’t stomach spending $400k for a house in Manor.

A Clark Wilson ad popped up in my browser one day and way down on the bottom of the page was Star Ranch. The location is close enough in and the prices are good. I just don’t know much about Hutto nor it’s schools or planned development. Most towns around Austin are planning their own mini “Domain” type developments and big master planned communities. I can’t seem to find any news about Hutto doing the same so I am taking to the forums to see what people have heard lol.

Old 01-10-2022, 12:04 PM

From my own experience, sunfield feels super packed in and borderline overwhelming with how many people are there. A few homes have popped up as having larger yards, so I checked them out for my parents. It felt a parade of people walking and with kids and dogs (that’s fine but literally parade like, like it didn’t stop…but it was a beautiful day when I drove by). The homes felt piled on one another. I also had an appointment out there about this time two years ago. I hope the lighting has gotten better, because it was borderline scary trying to get around. Are you only thinking new? Plum creek might be a good fit and the homes are super cute there.

Old 01-10-2022, 06:49 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,475,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigRig View Post
Thanks for the informative reply! My budget is in the $400k-$600k range. I’ve been looking into Sunfield (Buda) Carmel (pflugerville). Opposite ends of town but still touching Austin. Most of the Leander, Georgetown and Cedar Park neighborhoods are out of my budget. Liberty Hill, Kyle and Jarrell are too far and I just can’t stomach spending $400k for a house in Manor.

A Clark Wilson ad popped up in my browser one day and way down on the bottom of the page was Star Ranch. The location is close enough in and the prices are good. I just don’t know much about Hutto nor it’s schools or planned development. Most towns around Austin are planning their own mini “Domain” type developments and big master planned communities. I can’t seem to find any news about Hutto doing the same so I am taking to the forums to see what people have heard lol.
I guess you're looking for new bc you can find resales in those other cities in your price range.

Can't speak for the south neighborhoods, but comparing Carmel v. Star Ranch,

Carmel:

slightly closer in since it's south of 45, close to border of Pflugerville and North Austin.
However, it is also farther east, so you'll have to go through lights to get to the main road.

has a nice builder mix

near lots of amenities

newer development, so be prepared for lots of construction everywhere, trucks on the roads, and realize that there will be no dead end streets. Also unless you're on a greenbelt, fully expect for more houses to be behind/alongside yours.

near lake pflugerville

pflugerville as a whole is a more established suburb than hutto

Star Ranch

more established
closer to 45 (though the intersection at wilke is hairy in the mornings)
near lots of amenities, including an HEB plus that is less than two years old and is very nice
golf course
near pflugerville and round rock

Schools are a wash, though the Carmel schools are newer and maybe slightly better.

Hutto is rapidly catching up to Round Rock and Pflugerville, though it is still largely a bedroom community. You must keep in mind that Hutto used to be a really small town but is definitely on the right path. I don't see a domain style development coming to Hutto at the moment. However, there is one planned down the road (79) in sister city Round Rock.

Hutto right now is what Pflugerville was when we first moved there years ago. The fact that homes are in that price range should tell you something...400-600k is a lot more than 250-300k years ago, which is what hutto was going for but due to the demand, prices have gone up.

Carmel being next to lake pflugerville is great if you're into outside stuff.

Old 01-16-2022, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
I guess you're looking for new bc you can find resales in those other cities in your price range.

Can't speak for the south neighborhoods, but comparing Carmel v. Star Ranch,

Carmel:

slightly closer in since it's south of 45, close to border of Pflugerville and North Austin.
However, it is also farther east, so you'll have to go through lights to get to the main road.

has a nice builder mix

near lots of amenities

newer development, so be prepared for lots of construction everywhere, trucks on the roads, and realize that there will be no dead end streets. Also unless you're on a greenbelt, fully expect for more houses to be behind/alongside yours.

near lake pflugerville

pflugerville as a whole is a more established suburb than hutto

Star Ranch

more established
closer to 45 (though the intersection at wilke is hairy in the mornings)
near lots of amenities, including an HEB plus that is less than two years old and is very nice
golf course
near pflugerville and round rock

Schools are a wash, though the Carmel schools are newer and maybe slightly better.

Hutto is rapidly catching up to Round Rock and Pflugerville, though it is still largely a bedroom community. You must keep in mind that Hutto used to be a really small town but is definitely on the right path. I don't see a domain style development coming to Hutto at the moment. However, there is one planned down the road (79) in sister city Round Rock.

Hutto right now is what Pflugerville was when we first moved there years ago. The fact that homes are in that price range should tell you something...400-600k is a lot more than 250-300k years ago, which is what hutto was going for but due to the demand, prices have gone up.

Carmel being next to lake pflugerville is great if you're into outside stuff.

This was super helpful thanks for the input! P-ville is definitely more established. We checked out some other communities in Hutto and just driving through it seems flat and empty. Star Ranch being on the border of Round Rock definitely makes it more attractive than the other communities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin