Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 02:24 AM

54 posts, read 149,166 times

Advertisements

Miaiam... is it bad enough for me to cancel my move to Round Rock??
Oh my i reallycant take those bugs..and you think my relatives would have MENTIONED this in the 35 yrs they have lived in Texas!! You are all really scaring me with these stories..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2008, 02:28 AM

They said every apartment in round rock has them??! Oh no.. i had a huge hairy centipedes right by my pillow where i lay my head in the basement in Cleveland but i will take huge centipede over cucarachas.

Oh no, please tell me not EVERY apt has these!! Found a 'dead' one in the house i was staying but it was one of those brown german ones that people told me are NOTHING compared to these other huge ones!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddaerf View Post
hahaha, this made me laugh.

I live in Cedar Park near the hill country and thankfully I've never seen a scorpion in our house or even roaches for that matter. We make sure to keep the weep holes plugged in our siding. I do recommend Bulwark pest control, then again you don't seem to mind the other nuisances so it may not be worth it for you, cost-wise, to do a full-on pest control service just for roaches.

We pay $70 every other month and they use an all-natural chrysanthemum concoction that is non-toxic and doesn't harm pets/people/grass/plants, etc. When they come in for their first visit they will put the stuff in your electrical outlets to kill anything in the walls, then they spray 6 ft. out around the perimeter of your house - anything crossing that barrier will die (eventually). We have had some huge ants (I believe they're fire ants) come into our house but they are all dead once they get in. They also make sure your weep holes are plugged effectively and if they're not they'll fill them in for you.

In any event, if you continue to see roaches at that point you just call them out and they will service your house again free of charge or spray in any areas where you have infestations (I found carpenter ants in our fencing and they were out that afternoon to spray). Then they do the perimeter spray every other month.

If money is no object and you hate roaches that much, you may consider it worth it. I will say that we have been very happy with their service and the level of pest control.

BTW - does anyone have a picture of these horrendous tree roaches? I don't think I've ever seen one.

Old 09-08-2008, 02:32 AM

[quote=romesq;4037000]That's what we call those big rascals here in New
anymore. Then, they lose interest and leave the body lying in a prominent spot where I am likely to step on it with a bare foot. Yuck! Worse thant stepping on one of their hairballs!

I went into a dark room in cleveland and stepped with BARE FOOT, on literally over a hundred crawling white maggots.. and i STILL cant take roaches.. the maggots were everywhere in the walls or coming from the window , dripping off the window ledge, and it is amazing how fast they crawl! why do these things live to torture humans???????? what you call a 'little' one, the german ones? i thought were pretty big when i saw one.. in round rock

Old 09-08-2008, 08:36 AM

1,558 posts, read 2,399,409 times
My new kitten loves to chase the occasional palmetto that comes in under the door. Once he is through playing with them, he devours every last bite including the cream filling

Old 06-01-2010, 01:43 AM

13 posts, read 37,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crewer View Post
cicadas are not the same. They don't even resemble roaches. The tree roaches, though a nuisance in the house, are drawn to water. They don't necessarily want to be in your house. The little critters are thirsty, lost, and bewildered...and of course, gross looking. Oh, and they fly, usually when you're least expecting it.

Back in 1984, i moved into a house in hyde park that was infested with all types of roaches. My house mate, being a native floridian seemed to be oblivious to them. Me, the yankee, was appalled. Every night i would flip on the kitchen light and see them scurry across the counter. The pantry smelled of roach dung (yes, there is an odor), roaches would fall on me whenever i opened the pantry door, and i even found them inside the refrigerator!

I tried all sorts of sprays, but nothing seemed to work, until i bough the roach powder. I cleaned the kitchen from top to bottom, spread roach powder under shelving paper and around the perimeter of the shelves, across the top of doorway frames, under and behind the frig and stove, and anyplace where i suspected they were entering or living. Amazingly enough, within two weeks, they were gone! Never encountered another one while living there.

Now that rat situation was a different story.

Welcome to austin, ya'll!
ewww!

Old 06-01-2010, 01:47 AM

13 posts, read 37,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dollycool View Post
Miaiam... is it bad enough for me to cancel my move to Round Rock??
Oh my i reallycant take those bugs..and you think my relatives would have MENTIONED this in the 35 yrs they have lived in Texas!! You are all really scaring me with these stories..
NO! Move to Round Rock. I've lived in Texas my whole life (Houston, Waco & Austin). If you live in a newer house or apartment and you keep your place clean you wont have ANY roaches. I've lived in my new place for 6 months and I havent seen 1 yet. However, they do hang out outside A LOT. Watch out for the ones that fly, you find these in Houston and South Texas.

Old 06-01-2010, 08:35 AM

3,078 posts, read 3,264,631 times
Other than perhaps true infestations, I don't think cleanliness really is a factor. Most likely apts have a better chance of not being affected (simply fewer openings for them to get in, esp on something other than ground floor), but they do manage to find pretty much any opening and houses (esp older) are certainly more susceptible. If you have some in your house, you're probably better served to figure out where they are coming in (esp since other little critters can make it in as well, not to mention you are likely losing cool inside air).

That said, I don't think one can paint a broad brush as far as how prevalent they may be in any particular house in any particular area and I certainly wouldn't not move to the Austin metro area due to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin