Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2023, 11:49 AM

3,429 posts, read 1,560,760 times

Advertisements

I've had too many issues recently with the big 3 no frills airlines in Austin and have decided I need to stop worrying about cost and just find a reliable airline.

My last two trips involved lost luggage (still no reimbursement for the toiletries and clothes they told us to buy while we waited to get our luggage back) and flight cancellations. I realize the latter can happen with any of the airlines, but how they take care of their customers when they have these type of experiences is more important to me. As many problems as Southwest has had lately, they were always good about offering a fair compensation when issues arose. I can't say the same for some of the no frills that will give you 'flight credit' only to find out that the $50 gift certificate they gave you is really only worth $9 after passenger fees and tax (I never had that type of nonsense with other airlines).

I typically fly westward so preference to any airlines going along those routes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2023, 11:57 AM

11,784 posts, read 7,995,430 times
I personally don't fly very often but from heresay, most Airlines customer service seems to be quite crap when they need to reimburse you. I have heard some horror storries regarding Southwest 2022 Meltdown where customers lost luggage, had their flights canceled and did not get reimbursed for either experience. Same for Delta's canceled flights when Covid hit.

I personally restrict myself to a carry-on and just stuff as much as I can into it when I fly. But I realize thats not an option for everyone.

Old 02-12-2023, 11:58 AM

6,116 posts, read 12,591,959 times
I find austin to be a tough airport. Heavy Southwest and AA routes (not ideal airlines IMO).

Old 02-12-2023, 12:04 PM

11,784 posts, read 7,995,430 times
I thought I remember reading that Delta was supposed to increase their presence in Austin.

Old 02-12-2023, 12:11 PM

15,268 posts, read 35,624,789 times
Depends on what you mean by customer service. SWA has always been (in my experience) much more pleasant on the phone, more helpful at the gates, and much easier to change flights w/o random fees. No idea whether they screw up more or less than any airline, but when they do I have never run into anyone rude or been 'offered' an expensive fix.

Old 02-12-2023, 12:19 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,123,059 times
i typically fly american and they are fine. Nothing spectacular, but nothing really terrible either.

Ill usually fly the cheapest flight that is non stop that isnt one of the sketchy airlines.

I dont really like southwest because I like assigned seats.

Old 02-12-2023, 02:45 PM

550 posts, read 497,873 times
The worst airline is the one who’s plane you just stepped off of.

We fly American because my wife travels weekly on AA so we have lots of points.

They take pretty good care of her with upgrades to FC, etc.

We just booked free flights an hour ago for a vacation next month.

Old 02-12-2023, 03:03 PM

9,862 posts, read 6,574,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
I thought I remember reading that Delta was supposed to increase their presence in Austin.
American Airlines interfered with those plans. They weren’t having it.

Old 02-12-2023, 03:15 PM

8,009 posts, read 10,421,697 times
They all suck, to be honest. I tend to prefer Delta, but usually end up flying American just because they have more options. I also usually am flying to Philadelphia (Go Birds), and they have a direct flight at a decent time that I like.

I stopped flying Southwest years ago - long before their meltdown. First, they are not the least expensive anymore or even close, even when you account for the free checked bags. Second, their communication is horrible. The last straw was when the family was flying back after a trip. We had a layover in Atlanta. Our flight was delayed by 6 hours. The website, boards, everything all said our flight was on time, even though it was supposed to leave 3 hours earlier. The SWA workers were every bit as in the dark as we were. They ended up blaming it on weather, even though there were absolutely no other flights delayed. Last time I flew SWA.

I also have always hated that SWA doesn't interface with other airlines. So if your flight is cancelled, and the next available flight isn't for 2 days, you're just out of luck. If an American/Delta/United flight is cancelled, they will book you with a flight on a different airline, if there is an available seat sooner.

I have flown Frontier as a budget flight before, and it was fine. But by the time you add up all the fees for taking anything bigger than a shoebox with you, it really doesn't save much or any money. And again, I hate that they don't interface with other airlines.

Old 02-13-2023, 07:47 AM

743 posts, read 1,371,472 times
I've been pleased with Jet Blue, but they don't have as big of a presence as some of the others.

One time I was at the airport gate and my Jet Blue flight was delayed quite a bit. I had an important event that I needed to attend on the other end and realized I might miss it due to the delay. So I found another flight leaving, booked it, then walked back to the Jet Blue counter and asked if they would refund my ticket. I was sort of expecting that the best I'd get was a flight credit since it was an economy fare and their flight wasn't cancelled- just delayed quite a bit. But they refunded it on the spot, with a great attitude.

In general I've found Jet Blue to run on time. They also have more standard legroom, include free wifi, a screen on each seat with free movies & TV, and a nice assortment of free snack offerings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin