Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2023, 10:25 AM

9,853 posts, read 13,704,520 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitkatbar View Post
Link to support this statement?
I believe all salaries within AISD follow very strict guidelines that include certificates, verified employment history and verified skills (bilingual testing, certificates, etc). There’s no variance based on which school someone is at. That poster is trolling the topic. And the topic was created to troll as well. Everyone who has even a bit of understanding about Austin education knows AISD has been struggling for a long while.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2023, 12:47 PM

2,098 posts, read 2,502,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
I believe all salaries within AISD follow very strict guidelines that include certificates, verified employment history and verified skills (bilingual testing, certificates, etc). There’s no variance based on which school someone is at. That poster is trolling the topic. And the topic was created to troll as well. Everyone who has even a bit of understanding about Austin education knows AISD has been struggling for a long while.
This is my understanding as well. Having taught for AISD, teachers were always paid based on the posted salary schedule, with the only extra money one might get being for stipends for bilingual, teaching extra hours like a coach or something like that. But all of that is standardized by position and the same across the district whether you are an assistant coach at a middle school in west or east Austin.

Old 06-02-2023, 09:01 PM

12,950 posts, read 13,349,576 times
Quote:
This is my understanding as well. Having taught for AISD, teachers were always paid based on the posted salary schedule, with the only extra money one might get being for stipends for bilingual, teaching extra hours like a coach or something like that. But all of that is standardized by position and the same across the district whether you are an assistant coach at a middle school in west or east Austin.
Correct.

Old 06-02-2023, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Yep. I was an LMHP for about four years.

Old 06-03-2023, 04:30 PM

3,981 posts, read 6,738,971 times
Isn't AISD like most school districts where the Title I schools (low income) actually get money the non-Title I?

Old 06-03-2023, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by verybadgnome View Post
Isn't AISD like most school districts where the Title I schools (low income) actually get money the non-Title I?
I’m not sure if Title I funds are exempt from recapture. I’ll keep looking but google hasn’t been helpful so far.

Old 06-05-2023, 06:44 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,646,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
I’m not sure if Title I funds are exempt from recapture. I’ll keep looking but google hasn’t been helpful so far.
My understanding is that RH basically has two basic components - how much 'value' all the land in the district has and how much money is 'required' in the district. The 'required' part is the complicated part, but I think it essentially has a base value per student but also additional funds based on SPED, economically disadvantaged, etc.

I think that is grossly simplifying, but in the end the recapture doesn't look at Title I schools but rather Title I students, more or less. Now, federal funding might be over (and outside) of what RH does.

Old 06-05-2023, 07:35 AM

15,439 posts, read 7,502,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
My understanding is that RH basically has two basic components - how much 'value' all the land in the district has and how much money is 'required' in the district. The 'required' part is the complicated part, but I think it essentially has a base value per student but also additional funds based on SPED, economically disadvantaged, etc.

I think that is grossly simplifying, but in the end the recapture doesn't look at Title I schools but rather Title I students, more or less. Now, federal funding might be over (and outside) of what RH does.
Title I funding does not affect Robin Hood. It is not taken into account when they do the calculation. Which makes sense, as the entire reason for Robin Hood is state and local funding.

Old 06-05-2023, 11:48 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,646,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
Title I funding does not affect Robin Hood. It is not taken into account when they do the calculation. Which makes sense, as the entire reason for Robin Hood is state and local funding.
It does affect RH indirectly, as RH does take into account economically disadvantaged, which is almost always directly related to Title I schools.

Old 06-08-2023, 05:47 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,132,739 times
There is a basic allotment of about 6K, then there are various bumps for economically disadvantaged, cost of living etc. All of those add ons create the "tier one entitlement". That is the amount that the state says the district should get for all its students.

AISD has a required minimum tax rate of about 1%. This generates an excess of funding based on the tier one entitlement. The excess goes to robinhood.

The key problems are 1) the basic allotment hasnt gone up with inflation 2) the cost of living adjustment for austin is way too low. The COL for austin is like 60% more than for lubbock.

I dont care enough to fully understand, but this is an example which discuss the calculations

https://tea.texas.gov/sites/default/...e-overview.pdf

If AISD got an additional 1K per student, either through the increased basic allotment or through revised cost of living adjustments, that would mean an extra 70 million. (70,000 students * 1000 dollars).

Really our COL adjustment should increase 3-4K per student which would mean an extra 200 million for the district.

Recapture doesnt need to be killed the parameters just need to be adjusted to reflect reality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin