Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2023, 10:22 AM

1,161 posts, read 1,883,538 times

Advertisements

I am planning to sell my house in north central Austin. Assessed property values are quite high, and most homes have sold quickly, even this year. My problem is my new neighbors. They're friendly but messy. They own their home but allow weeds, tall grass, and miscellaneous unused items in their back yard, which is entirely visible from my house. The front yard isn't much better. Their previous home in Austin was the same way, based on some streetview images. When they moved in, they announced that they're not into aesthetics like the rest of the neighborhood, so asking them to tidy their place up isn't going to work, even if for just the time my house is on the market. The only thing I can think of is putting up a privacy fence in the back yard to block the view. I have to do something. My realtor has told me that the neighbors' place is likely to negatively affect the sale of my house.

I know from experience that Austin code enforcement wouldn't be any help in this situation. Things have to be way worse for code enforcement to get involved.

I'd be interested if anyone has had this situation when trying to sell their house, and how it was handled.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2023, 10:41 AM

7,066 posts, read 4,510,340 times
We had this problem in Nevada and put up a fence so we couldn’t see all the junk in the backyard. It was nice while we lived there and it was great when we sold it. Although the front yard was unkept luckily they didn’t put junk there.

Old 06-25-2023, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
We had this problem in Nevada and put up a fence so we couldn’t see all the junk in the backyard. It was nice while we lived there and it was great when we sold it. Although the front yard was unkept luckily they didn’t put junk there.

Regarding the front yard, it's the same with my neighbors. No junk, but they've never edged along the curb and the yard is weedy. It's amazing that they don't notice that the rest of the neighborhood is kept up. They're busy, but we all are, and somehow we manage to maintain our homes to a reasonable amount. We don't have an HOA, so we're not into perfection, but this is a different matter.

Old 06-26-2023, 03:41 PM

319 posts, read 346,027 times
Might be a good idea to ask neighbor if they would allow you to edge their yard.

Old 06-26-2023, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangergrit View Post
Might be a good idea to ask neighbor if they would allow you to edge their yard.

That's not something one does if one values their life. If it were someone I knew needed help, of course I would ask. Have done that with other neighbors who actually needed help. These people don't need help. They just don't care about our neighborhood.

Old 06-28-2023, 08:08 AM

1,719 posts, read 730,333 times
Put up a privacy fence in the backyard, if you can. If you had more time, I'd suggest thick hedges and/or trees for green fences, but that takes awhile and can be costly.

I sympathize with your situation and wish you luck.

Old 06-28-2023, 01:57 PM

2,446 posts, read 1,066,501 times
I would offer to pay have front yard mowed and edged while house is up for sale.

Old 06-30-2023, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger84Ag View Post
I would offer to pay have front yard mowed and edged while house is up for sale.
I think it could cause other problems. I'm thinking maybe putting up some sort of fence might really be best. I noticed that Lowe's has some bamboo fencing that can be used as a temporary fix. Coincidentally, a lady was buying some for the same reason. She wasn't selling her house, but was tired of the junky house next door.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin