Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 06:36 PM

3 posts, read 22,576 times

Advertisements

I recently moved to the Belterra subdivision in Austin, TX. I am pretty shocked by the fees the various utility companies are tacking on for activating services.

Texas Community Propane:
- $300 deposit
- $95 startup-fee
- 30 minute mandatory "orientation" with an unprofessional rep.

Severn Trent Services (water & trash)
- $130 deposit
- $80 application fee
- $40 turn-on fee
- $30 transfer fee
- we also have to pay $7/month for the privilege of recycling

Pedernales Electric Cooperative
- $75 start-up fee
- $50 co-op fee (refunded when no longer a customer)

Given their borderline-extortion start-up fees, I am not looking forward to the rates for actual service.

Is all of Austin stuck with these kind of utility activation costs? I'm from central Illinois, and these type of fees/deposits just don't exist.

Interestingly, Time-Warner cable (who has competition with satellite and phone companies) provided free installation and has compeititive pricing.

I don't have any choice but to pay these ridiculous fees, but I wanted to vent a bit here and at least warn people about them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2008, 06:52 PM

2,185 posts, read 6,433,493 times
Pedernales is also raising rates another 10%. They are a bunch of crooks.

Old 06-22-2008, 08:01 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,100,141 times
Nothing like that in the city of Austin!

Old 06-22-2008, 09:10 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,876,700 times
Austin Energy charges a deposit, which can be fairly high depending on how much energy the house uses. Ours was about $400, but it was returned after 1 year. No start up cost, but I think there is a transfer fee. So you might be saving a little up-front with Pedernales.

The propane cost, unfortunately, is one of the big negatives in Belterra. It is fairly widely known ripoff, though, I'd be mad at my realtor if they didn't warn me in advance.

For more great news, look up posts by IC_delight...

Old 06-23-2008, 08:28 AM

3 posts, read 22,576 times
I knew about the high cost of propane for the Belterra subdivision (before buying here). It was a negative, but not enough to overcome the other positives of buying a home in Belterra.

What I didn't know about was the deposits and activation fees. It just feels like an unethical money-grab by these companies since they don't have any competition.

I did call about my water/trash bill today -- and apparently the transfer fee shouldn't have been on my bill, and they're not sure about the applicaton fee either. I'm not holding my breath -- I was told that I would be called next week about it (today is Monday).

Old 06-23-2008, 09:02 AM

2,269 posts, read 7,332,510 times
The City of Austin initially charged me a $200 deposit to start up electricity, garbage and water. However, they told me that if I got a letter from our previous energy company (in Florida) stating we always paid on time, they would refund the deposit, and they did!

Old 06-23-2008, 09:13 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,691,351 times
There's only one or two propane neighborhoods here in Hutto, and they also charge higher rates. It's because they supply their own propane and aren't tapped into City lines because it costs the developer a lot of $$ to do it. At least that's what one of the salespeople in that neighborhood told us. I'm sure it's the same out there.

Old 06-24-2008, 05:38 PM

3,438 posts, read 4,452,517 times
The propane is a ripoff because it is not economically regulated and there is a mandatory consumption from a single vendor. You are forced to buy exclusively from that vendor under threat of fine and foreclosure on your home. I do not know the specifics of the Belterra regime, but many of the subdivisions were set up with the intent of the developer getting a kickback forever from the propane sales due to perpetual restrictive covenants. Within the city, propane prices are often regulated - however this propane scam is just one of the many ways in which homebuyers are being bilked after moving into a new subdivisions in unincorporated areas. I think you may find that the fees listed above are not the only fees. The propane companies, for example, typically charge a monthly account fee in addition to any consumption fees for the privilege of being an involuntary customer. With respect to the Severn Trent fees, it sounds like Severn Trent is the operator for the water system? If that's the case, the rates that they can charge are regulated by TCEQ and set forth in their Tariff. You might check the Tariff to see if the charges imposed are correct.

By the way, if you recently moved to Belterra (you know while the temperatures have been 100 F) you might want to be very careful this fall when you find out just how much they can charge you for propane when you don't have a choice. In many subdivisions, $400-$800/month for propane is fairly common starting in October. Again, they don't have to worry about being competitive when you are forced to purchase from them. So don't get to used to being toasty until you find out what it's going to cost you.

Old 06-24-2008, 07:07 PM

681 posts, read 2,912,791 times
Would it be OT to ask a stupid question? Why do I see so many comments re: propane? I realize Belterra is out of town a ways, but isn't natural gas available in most central Texas communities?

Old 06-24-2008, 11:02 PM

786 posts, read 2,761,655 times
I am relocating to Austin in August and Belterra is one of the potential locations. Are there any Belterra residents who can share their average propane bills during the cooler months? I am from Canada and I cannot see Austin temperatures driving an $800 a month heating bill. however, I am more than willing to believe that such bills are possible with an unregulated commodity and a captive customer base.

Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin