Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2008, 10:47 PM

2,357 posts, read 7,899,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texanwannabe View Post
Twange,

You ROCK! Thanks so much! That picture is even better than the one I wanted to use. Drinks are on me when I come down!!

Shelly
My pleasure! Butler Park is one of my favorite spots to walk around and look at the city. What a great public space. As soon as it cools off a bit, we're going down there with a picnic basket and a bottle of vino...

Here's a few more pics that I took while I was there today:
Attached Thumbnails
Looking for a certain spot in Austin-kids-fountain.jpg   Looking for a certain spot in Austin-kids-fountain-2.jpg   Looking for a certain spot in Austin-city-july-08.jpg   Looking for a certain spot in Austin-pond.jpg  
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2008, 11:19 PM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,310 posts, read 12,373,524 times
Those are some great pics! I can't wait to visit and see it for myself. I heard the fountain at night is really pretty. You and your wife will have a lovely little picnic there! Can you tell me exactly where it is located? It looks like it is East of the city...am I correct? How do you get there from downtown?

Old 07-16-2008, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Those are some great pics! I can't wait to visit and see it for myself. I heard the fountain at night is really pretty. You and your wife will have a lovely little picnic there! Can you tell me exactly where it is located? It looks like it is East of the city...am I correct? How do you get there from downtown?
Oh, it's great there at night. The new buildings that have gone up have some really nice lighting, as well as the fountains and such. Really lovely area.

It's south of the city, just west of Palmer Auditorium and the Long Center, right over the S 1st bridge. Basically W of Auditorium Shores, south of Riverside. There's a great little parking area off Barton Springs Rd near Dawson/S 5th that I always use, right behind the Daugherty Center for the Arts(lots of "centers" around that area)

I just made a quick google map(click on the little blue markers for info:

Google Maps

Old 07-16-2008, 01:23 AM

I know exactly where that is! Thanks for the google map...that is great. GOSH, I am so homesick for Austin right now

Old 07-16-2008, 07:12 AM

Quote:
I know exactly where that is! Thanks for the google map...that is great. GOSH, I am so homesick for Austin right now
We're actually heading up to Cleveland for a long visit in a week. This will include a side trip to Altoona to visit relatives. This will be my first visit since we moved last year. I'm very excited...back to the Homeland!

Old 07-19-2008, 02:57 PM

You should have held out for another month or so and tried to catch a Brown's game at home We have been having a hot spell up here. Today it was over 96 degrees! My A/C has been running non-stop.

Altoona---that's close to my neck of the woods! Any stops in Pittsburgh?

Old 07-19-2008, 03:47 PM

Quote:
You should have held out for another month or so and tried to catch a Brown's game at home We have been having a hot spell up here. Today it was over 96 degrees! My A/C has been running non-stop.

Altoona---that's close to my neck of the woods! Any stops in Pittsburgh?
Oh, I'll go see one of their practices for sure! Probably catch an Indians game as well.

96 huh? Sounds like a cold front

Both of my parents are from Altoona, so many of my relatives are there. When I was a little kid, they tried to make me a Steelers fan(and Penn State). I suppose I was to an extent - I had a jacket, old school stocking hat, electric football game: Dallas vs Pittsburgh- but once I started playing ball as a kid, and started paying attention on my own...it was Browns all the way! Although I did wear #32 as a kid(Franco), although revisionist history has me choosing this number in homage to Jim Brown!

No, unfortunately we can't stop in the 'Burgh. It will be one of those get in, get out type trips. One night only!

Old 07-19-2008, 04:06 PM

24 posts, read 86,055 times
Ohhh lovely lovely austin!

Old 07-19-2008, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twange View Post
Oh, I'll go see one of their practices for sure! Probably catch an Indians game as well.

96 huh? Sounds like a cold front

Both of my parents are from Altoona, so many of my relatives are there. When I was a little kid, they tried to make me a Steelers fan(and Penn State). I suppose I was to an extent - I had a jacket, old school stocking hat, electric football game: Dallas vs Pittsburgh- but once I started playing ball as a kid, and started paying attention on my own...it was Browns all the way! Although I did wear #32 as a kid(Franco), although revisionist history has me choosing this number in homage to Jim Brown!

No, unfortunately we can't stop in the 'Burgh. It will be one of those get in, get out type trips. One night only!
I think you're scared to come up here in the Winter. You are acclimated to that Texas weather now! Actually this is good weather for me to get used to some heat prior to moving.

Aaahhh Franco! Memories of the Steel Curtain era! It makes my heart pitter patter! Too bad you aren't stopping in the 'Burgh...I'd meet you and your wife out for drinks.

Have a safe trip!

Old 07-20-2008, 01:15 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,882,004 times
Perhaps one of the reasons Butler Park has such a good vibe is because of what it is built on top of. Texanwannabe, you said you are homesick and moving back to Texas? I think you mentioned you'd been to Austin many times over the years. So, you would remember the location of Butler park as the site of the City Coliseum.

The City Coliseum was an old WWII hangar converted to a music/public venue. It was not held in high regard, and no one really protested when they tore it down to build the new park. But it was a venue that saw such acts as Elvis Presley, The Clash (featured in their Rock the Casbah video), and Janes Addiction. Many more, too, but it's hard to find a list. Austin didn't really have any other large indoor venue for acts that couldn't fit in to the UT rules (hence couldn't play the Erwin Center). The Coliseum was also home to the most debauchery in Austin this side of Hippy Hollow... the annual Carnaval Brasileiro. I think they still have that event somewhere, but it's not the same.

Here's a picture from a similar angle as Twange's 3rd photo on reply #21. It's the site of Butler Park just after they demolished the City Coliseum, with a few buildings missing in the skyline... when was this taken, the 80's? Nope, 2003.

(pic from Austin Explorer)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin