Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2008, 09:43 PM

1,450 posts, read 4,252,738 times

Advertisements

We are currently both laid off and seeking employment, are considering anything in Austin or other locations.

But we wonder if relocation is a realistic option in this economy? Houses just aren't selling here, homes in our neighborhood have sat on the market for months. We just don't think our home would sell. And many companies aren't paying relocation expenses, or just a portion. so the housing situation just doesn't make relocation a realistic option for us.

Has anyone else pondered this dilemia? We can't afford to stay or leave!

Perhaps another option would be to split up for awhile, if one of us get a job in another location go there and get an efficiency-type apartment while the family stays here until better times?

Its definitely getting scary out there, I would hesitate to sell our home for basically nothing, pul up roots and relocate to another location, then have that job go on us, then we're truly stuck!

Perhaps better to ride it out here, regardless of what we have to take, and hope for better times?

Just thinking it through
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2008, 11:05 PM

1,133 posts, read 4,187,221 times
Can you rent your home?

We just moved from Atlanta to Austin and I could hardly get an interview being from out of state. I didn't get any relocation assistance either. It a tough time right now... And for me, if my job doesn't work out, Austin is a much smaller market with less opportunities. In Atlanta, there were many more jobs and I never worried about finding something if I had to. Here, it's a little worrisome.

Old 11-09-2008, 06:38 PM

1,450 posts, read 4,252,738 times
Well what I don't understand is why both my husband and I get all sorts of interest from out-of-state companies, they go a fair distance with phone interviews, more resumes, seems like they're quite interested, sometimes even flying us there at their expense for 1-2 days interviews, then either never make an offer or tell us relocation is on us, they don't pay anything. So why did they even bother to go through the whole process, which costs them $$$, just to say thanksbut no thanks? We can't afford to relocate ourselves, they know we're from another state, why even bother with us?

Just a weird HR game!

We thought the best thing would be to rent out our home here and rent something in the new area, but that' risky on both ends, you never kow

Old 11-10-2008, 03:47 PM

648 posts, read 1,964,894 times
Marylee-

My new Austin employer is NOT paying for re-location. Most don't. If you refuse to take a job without a relo package, you will be waiting a long time.

FWIW, my home isn't selling either. We are renting our place here and renting in Austin.

You do what you have to do.

Old 11-11-2008, 11:08 AM

3,757 posts, read 9,061,091 times
I think there are enough people willing to pay for their own relocation that maybe HR is assuming that if you are willing to interview some place far from home then you are willing to pay to get there. I don't think it is necessarily a "game" on HR's part. I think rather it is a misunderstanding. Some companies pay for it, some don't. I don't think lack of it should be a showstopper if the salary is high enough and it is for a permanent position.

The whole point of an interview is to see if a company wants to hire you or not so an onsite interview is still part of the hiring process. A company isn't going to know whether it wants to hire someone until it has completed the process. My husband flew down for a couple of interviews there in Spring but they didn't result in offers. It was really disappointing. However, the better way to look at it is that he got a couple of trips to Austin on someone else's dime AND he got some experience interviewing, something he hadn't done in eight years.

Looking for employment can be demoralizing, especially in an economy like this. But try not to let it bring you down. It's much easier to find work when one is feeling confident and good about himself. I know, easier said than done but hang in there!

Old 11-11-2008, 11:25 AM

1,009 posts, read 2,461,271 times
Relocating is definitely a viable option. However, I wouldn't think Austin would be a good choice because of the good old bay nature of the job market there.

Old 11-11-2008, 11:35 AM

1,961 posts, read 6,125,137 times
It all depends. I was relocated here and the hiring company paid for the move. I think that is all dependant on the company and position that you are interviewing for.

Good luck on interviewing, it can be difficult to stay positive.

Old 11-11-2008, 11:38 AM

9 posts, read 24,629 times
marylee54,
Where are you from and what do you both do? I think relocation is still an option, but at a price. Like other posters have said, forget about getting a relocation package right now, and it does seem like the job market might be hard to break through but you have to be creative. I am not exactly in the same situation than yours since neither my wife or I have lost our jobs, but we want to make a move before it gets too bad here in the Detroit suburbs, and it's going to be a pretty hard goal to realize. My position is that even though the job market and the real estate market suck right now, it's probably going to get worse so a move now might be better than being stuck for years...

Good luck to you

Old 11-11-2008, 12:43 PM

3,757 posts, read 9,061,091 times
I think Marylee is already in Austin and is considering leaving town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: