Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2008, 11:36 AM

4,710 posts, read 7,104,601 times

Advertisements

I have been seeing a few posts that say that many in Wimberley have become hostile to new residents, especially those who are building homes. They are concerned that the town is losing its character because of growth, and are expressing that fear by rejecting new comers. I have read, in particular, that new people can't get into community life and organizations because the "old guard" wants to retain it social standing and power. Are these postings just a few disgruntled people, or are they observing a real trend? I would hate to move into a community that does not welcome new blood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2008, 11:42 AM

68 posts, read 376,512 times
My Aunt and Uncle live just outside of Wimberley (right by the Corral) and they just don't want Wimberley to become commercial or like suburbia. They like the small town feel, but honestly hate the touristy traffic. I'm sure there are better places to build or buy than others...I didn't really help much, but good luck!

Old 03-23-2008, 09:51 PM

138 posts, read 451,673 times
Casey- I just posted on Grasshoppers thread- I should have read further, first. I have been looking in the Marble Falls, Wimberely, Round Rock and Driftwood areas. I can understand not wanting any more sprawl- I also like small town atmosphere, and don't want to ruin that. (I have a second home in Wyoming that is very remote, but would still be nice, and involve new neighbors). Are you more welcomed if you buy an existing house? Are you more inclined to be welcomed and asked to be involved if you are German? Thanks.

Old 03-24-2008, 05:52 AM

389 posts, read 1,571,890 times
In a nutshell--YES
The old locals seem to dislike growth and newcomers in our experience.
Wimberley was "planned" to be a retirement community, they never thought it was close enough to Austin to be commuteable (which it really isnt) but more and more employers are coming into the south side of Austin and telecommuting and other options have opened it up a bit. That said, its just the real close in Wimberley center where you might get attitude, its such a large area that alot of the growth, while technically in Wimberley, really isnt, as far as the locals are concerned.

If you do build, be very cautious of local area contractors, while there are some very good ones, there are ALOT of shoddy ones who set up shop to rip -off newcomers (I suppose that goes for anywhere though!)
Cheers

Old 03-24-2008, 05:49 PM

384 posts, read 1,581,645 times
You might want to look at San Marcos - still close enough to visit Wimberley whenever you want, with some outlying neighborhoods just as quiet and nice but at a lower cost, and without the attitude (I mean, since San Marcos is a college town, everyone there is used to newcomers).

Old 03-25-2008, 05:30 AM

3,247 posts, read 9,053,731 times
It takes me 35 minutes to drive from my house in far San Antonio to Beverly Hills oops, I mean Wimberley. Is a hip little village

Old 11-30-2008, 01:50 PM

1 posts, read 3,807 times
My father in-law lived in Wimberley 1972 until his death. We now own his home. We are always treated with respect. When we first attended one of the churches in Wimberley they asked where we were from. We explained we live in the Houston area. The comment We all came from Houston. All the Hill Country is concerned about growth. The water shortage is a big concern. Yes no one wants to become a large town like Houston. You lose alot. People come from all around to visit their market days. If it was such a snobby place I am sure they would not waste their time visiting. The area is expensive. There is only one grocery store but those of us that would like to retire there hope a HEB will locate close by so we do not have to drive to San Marcos or Kyle for food. I guess bottom line we love the people we have met and the area. Anywhere in the hill country is better than Houston.

Last edited by dlcbr; 11-30-2008 at 01:51 PM.. Reason: mispelled word
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin