Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 09:01 AM

43 posts, read 213,396 times

Advertisements

Can anyone give me some advice on things to prepare for before moving to Austin? I am 33, single male, and will be moving down there next week. I am moving from Michigan where I have lived for the past 13 years!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2009, 09:06 AM

324 posts, read 1,312,283 times
buy some flip flops and sunscreen!

Old 01-07-2009, 09:15 AM

38 posts, read 122,312 times
Be prepared for some wacky weather. I just moved from NY and thought it would be warm through out the whole winter but I was wrong. There are days when its 30-40 all day and then days where it's 30 in the morning and 75-80 in the afternoon!!! You have to dress in layers in the winter!

Also, traffic in, out and around the city is a bit of a pain.... otherwise it's great here!

Old 01-07-2009, 09:19 AM

Speaking of traffic, how is route 1? Guess I should buy a wind breaker

Old 01-07-2009, 10:12 AM

5,870 posts, read 11,934,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwnulife View Post
Speaking of traffic, how is route 1? Guess I should buy a wind breaker
LOL, are you saying you live in Michigan but you don't own a windbreaker? Seriously, don't assume because it's warm outside that it will stay that way. It usually heats up right before a cold front blows through, so it can go from 80 and balmy to 40 with a 30 degree wind chill in a matter of hours. It's always a good idea to check the weather reports during the winter.

On the other hand, in the summer be prepared for endless days of hot and hotter.

Old 01-07-2009, 10:16 AM

Nope, never owned a windbreaker AND I live in Michigan!

Old 01-07-2009, 10:28 AM

2,335 posts, read 4,153,597 times
Throw away/donate your parkas but keep the gloves. That's what I did when I moved down from NY 3 years ago. Not too much need for sweaters here either. I lived in MI too for 5 years while my wife was in grad school; it's a nice place...too cold for me!

Welcome to Austin.

Old 01-07-2009, 12:36 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,963,301 times
Football is intense in Austin especially The Long Horns.

UT is a money making marketing machine.

You have to drive everywhere just to get to a gas station.

6th street is one of the few activities to do in town. 6th street has some live bands and many bars and hang outs.

It is a very slow paced town. The people seem to be less friendly and really into themselves to the point where they look like zombies.

The traffic can be very slow and congested during rush hours.

Homeless people are everywhere. Yuck.

The hill country area is actually very beautiful.

Shopping is good.

Austin has a mix of extremely conservative and traditional people and a handful of flaky weird liberals scattered about.

Professionalism seems to be lacking there. A lot of nepotism,cronyism, and selfishness that dominates the city. Every city has good and bad but Austin seems to have more unprofessionalism and corruption.

Old 01-07-2009, 12:45 PM

786 posts, read 2,763,032 times
You will need a jacket that would be good for late fall weather up north. I am currently wearing my lined leather jacket which is warm when zipped up, but can be worn open in warmer weather without getting hot. As people say, it will be close to freezing when you go to work, and you could be in shirtsleeves by lunch. Depending on when you go home, you may or may not need a jacket.

If you have a car, hang on to at least one ice scraper. Leave it in the trunk and you will be really glad you have it for those 1 - 2 times a year when you will get ice. A few years ago most people were using all sorts of things to clean windshields during the ice rain. If you have it, keep it.

You will want to invest in some very light pants for the summer. Funny thing is, I had an easier time finding light pants in Toronto versus Austin.

If you are driving down, take it easy. I did not have any issues, but many people have reported being targeted by the cops once the crossed the border. I don't know if this is accurate, but don't give them a reason to pull you over.

I was given some good advise when I first got here. People down here talk slow and do not get right to the point. That does not mean they are dumb! If you are typically like the rest of us (me) up north, you will be tempted to complete their sentences for them. DON'T!

Don't forget your sunglasses if driving! Early morning and late afternoon sun will blind you when driving, and you will get sun most every day, unlike cold, dreary overcast winter days up north.

Enjoy Austin.

Old 01-07-2009, 12:50 PM

iceshots,

Those were excellent pointers--thank you. I'm looking forward to a warmer climate. I think the cold weather and gray skies up here contribute a lot to the hostile personalities which are so prevalent in the midwest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin