Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Excited to move to Austin Texas, football culture, Christian minded people, beautiful women of all cultures, friendly people, young professionals

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 01:59 PM

3,032 posts, read 5,265,296 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennibc View Post
When we moved here in the summer of '99 from Newport, RI we thought it was downright dry. I guess it all depends on your point of reference.
aye, it does indeed. If your from the west, but puts your tolerance the test, If your already from the East, maybe it bothers you not in the least.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2009, 02:03 PM

3,032 posts, read 5,265,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
It's all about what you like and value most, and Austin has many good points, but for me Corpus Christi is the place to be.
farm livin is the life for me.

Old 03-18-2009, 07:03 AM

3 posts, read 5,627 times
Too many naive people posting here. 1. austin is not humid in relation to those that lived by big bodies of water. I think Austin is a godsend compared to living on Lake Michigan. 2. Texas IS flat. Sure there is the hill country and a few mountain ranges. Just saw one when I was in El Paso but for where it counts, between large cities, it is flat and pretty much boring. 3. If you are so stupid that you have to use a GPS on these roads, then I assume you must be collecting disability for your low IQ. I had no problems when I visited Austin for the first time. Can't say that about any other city I've been in. And how the hell does one end up on a toll road accidentally? They are clearly marked and not by ANYTHING.

Old 03-18-2009, 04:05 PM

174 posts, read 501,859 times
That's been one of the factors for me living in Austin it's not just hot here during the summer it also gets humid.Some say humidity is not a factor for them but next time you look at your air conditioning bill, tell me it's not.

I wish they would just pass legislation making the state of Texas provide and maintain air conditioning to everyone for free.
I guess some might not like that idea but it gets life threatening hot for some people.

prisha
i don't think the humidity is as bad as corpus christi but the summers are bad in austin too. it was hot even in the middle of the night like in high 80's. i have been living in central texas for the past 10 years i felt the summers are getting worse and longer. who knows may be global warming is doing that. when we have nice weather austin is so beautiful especially in march- april time with blue bonnets on the road sides and clouds in the sky it is almost like a picture.

jread
Austin's summers are horrible. They are actually not that humid and have more of the "dry, dusty" feeling. As I've mentioned before, it's like living in a blast furnace.

loveroses
Yeah, last year was pretty bad, and having lived my entire life here, except when I lived in Colorado for a few years, I thought I was gonna die! This year has been great so far. Not too hot at all. We were outside most of the day with no problems.

Last edited by thedude72; 03-18-2009 at 04:21 PM..

Old 03-19-2009, 06:37 AM

109 posts, read 405,449 times
Default The Beauty of Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
I had to laugh here. You will probably get flak from Texans who think there is no more beautiful place on earth. However, I grew up in Virginia so I know what you're talking about -I almost mentioned it in fact. The beauty of the East coast is hard to top for sure. However, there is hope! It took me awhile, but I've learned to embrace the Texas beauty for what it is. I do remember that I wasn't totally enamored of it when I first relocated but a beautiful spring with lots of wildflowers changed my mind (too bad we won't see that this year )
Funny, everyone has his or her own conception of beauty. I've lived on Cape Cod for quite a few years, and it took me a long time to appreciate the natural beauty of the Cape. I've been a New Englander most of my life, yet find myself drawn to the "wide, open spaces" kind of beauty that only the Midwest and West possess. However, ocean, mountains, desert, plains- each has a special and unique beauty to me. This "liberal Northerner" tends to prefer the stunning beauty of Texas over all other kinds to which I have been a lucky witness. And my appreciation was instantaneous. I will always be a Texas gal in my heart, and I miss Texas.
Having said that, Austin, after Corpus Christi and Dallas, was surprisingly my third least favorite city in Texas, and I have been all over Texas. Sure, there are some wonderful things about it- the bats, the neighborhoods, the parks, the downtown area- but it seemed too much like parts of the Northeast that I didn't like. It was maybe- too familiar? The traffic was crazy, there were McMansions being built all over the hills, and the overt friendliness I had seen all over the rest of Texas was missing. And I should be biased, because my son is named Austin! However, this is only a first impression, and maybe I was there on the wrong couple of days. It didn't help, of course, that, after a long, tiring, dusty July drive, the pool was closed because there was glass in it, and we lost our reserved suite because Michael Dell's convention was in town. I still had an incredible time watching the bats on the Congress St. bridge. Not to be missed!

Old 03-19-2009, 09:12 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,555,108 times
Well, I think this topic is becoming a bit thread-bare! BUT, I ran across this response posted in another MB and got a little chuckle...Mind you, this fellow lives in NORTH DAKOTA!!!!

no offense taken. i was just trying to scare off more immigrants. places in my area are getting snatched up by out of staters. my neighbor moved here from long beach-signal hill several years ago. you couldn't get him to go back at gunpoint. he loves it here. our last few winters were a little mild, so he said bring it on. this year was more like normal so he is ready for spring

Did I mention he lives in NORTH DAKOTA?!?!?!?

Old 03-20-2009, 12:49 PM

468 posts, read 1,220,626 times
Google "austin allergies". I havent been here long but my eyes started itching the night I drove in. I think it's the breeze (which is lovely by itself) that carries "allergy stuff" in from everywhere.

It's definitely a big downside for me!

Old 03-21-2009, 01:29 AM

2,271 posts, read 5,148,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmaster View Post
Too many naive people posting here. 1. austin is not humid in relation to those that lived by big bodies of water. I think Austin is a godsend compared to living on Lake Michigan. 2. Texas IS flat. Sure there is the hill country and a few mountain ranges. Just saw one when I was in El Paso but for where it counts, between large cities, it is flat and pretty much boring. 3. If you are so stupid that you have to use a GPS on these roads, then I assume you must be collecting disability for your low IQ. I had no problems when I visited Austin for the first time. Can't say that about any other city I've been in. And how the hell does one end up on a toll road accidentally? They are clearly marked and not by ANYTHING.

Sure are a lot of naive people posting on here.

In relation to cities on the water? That's not saying much.
A lot of Texas is flat and a lot of it isn't. We've got both. No none of the really big cities are that mountainous. That's obvious. Move on.

Old 03-22-2009, 09:49 AM

468 posts, read 1,220,626 times
I've found some people in general are much more whiney than others when it comes to "extremes" of weather. Walking around hong Kong in July was OK for me, even though I had sweat actively dripping down my back. Meanwhile my relatives from the east coast in NJ complained when it got to be 85+ in northern california during a visit.

So it does depend on relativity and also genes in a major way. Try Hawaii...

Another aspect of Austin mentioned by others is the lack of single hottie women in the 30s. (Supposedly) Depending on taste I guess that might deter some.

Old 05-14-2009, 11:16 PM

804 posts, read 1,965,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Worst place I ever lived. Rudeness, conniving attitudes, or self absorption seem to be the norm there. Also very capitalistic in a Mao Zedong kind of way and full of cronyism.
Whoowhee

Most native Austinites are not like this, but many of them have moved away, and their numbers are being diluted.

Years ago, many of the transplants who moved here were at least compatible with Austin's vibe and we did not see as much of these behaviors. It was quite a different crowd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin