Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Excited to move to Austin Texas, football culture, Christian minded people, beautiful women of all cultures, friendly people, young professionals

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 09:49 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,138,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fairfaxian View Post
-A strong and steadily growing job market
I have found this to be true. At least relative to other areas in the country. I have spent the last 17 years in Austin and have never had a problem with employment, and have always obtain jobs in places where I don't know anyone. I do interview well, but also don't know anyone who is chronically unemployed. Every finds something eventually.
Quote:
-A very affordable cost of living
This is debatable. However relative to Fairfax, you are likely to find Austin inexpensive.
Quote:
-A lot of young college-grad professionals (in order to assure an active social and dating life)
True. The University of Texas is either the biggest or second biggest campus in the country. Many grads stay here. Too many in fact.
Quote:
-People who are genuinely friendly, laid-back, and believe in the live-and-let-live philosophy instead of being intentionally arrogant, overtly anal, and uber-pretentious
I don't find the friendlyness to be overly genuine. This is cultural-- I'm a Yankee living down here, and think that this is mostly for show and that there is little depth to many relationships. I have much stronger ties to my friends from other parts of the country. Many would disagree, however.
Quote:
-Young college grads who are open to meeting new people based on personality and interests and not based on "who they grew up with," "inside connections," or their "political power"
I'll take your word on this. Everybody is different and I don't care about any of the above in the people I value.
Quote:
-A christian and church-minded place where people don't waste their time shoving down the Bible in peoples' throats but use that energy to live by example of the Bible's lessons and commandments
Personally I find this contradictory and offensive. This is not an area of Christian people. Many good Christian people live here. Along with Jews, Muslims, Atheists and many others. Of course, this tells me you'd likely love some areas here where Christian hegemony is valued over diversity and acceptance. (I know I'll get loads of hate mongering responses, but Jews like me tend to get pretty angry when an area is insensitively labeled as 'Christian' in ignorance of other beliefs). It's laughable that you arrogantly seek to live among 'a Christian people' (as if Christians are somehow better than others) but don't want to shove religion down others throats.
Quote:
-A more progressive and libertarian-minded lifestyle (people are neutral/indifferent to a person's political affiliation, skin color, religion, etc.)
See my response above.
Quote:
-The women are beautiful in many forms, from the southern belle the Latina señorita and everything in between.
Yes, I guess we have our share of 'purdy' women. However, in my experience women here in Austin prefer to be valued for their mind, their contributions in addition to your stereotypes and their good looks.
Quote:
-A strong gridiron football culture (Friday Night H.S. Football, Saturday College Football, Sunday Professional Football...something I can definitely get used to)
Yes. The highest paid person in most schools systems is the football coach. You'll find a football culture down here. As long as your not looking for a local pro team, you'll enjoy it.

Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2009, 10:35 PM

1,605 posts, read 3,918,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Personally I find this contradictory and offensive. This is not an area of Christian people. Many good Christian people live here. Along with Jews, Muslims, Atheists and many others. Of course, this tells me you'd likely love some areas here where Christian hegemony is valued over diversity and acceptance. (I know I'll get loads of hate mongering responses, but Jews like me tend to get pretty angry when an area is insensitively labeled as 'Christian' in ignorance of other beliefs). It's laughable that you arrogantly seek to live among 'a Christian people' (as if Christians are somehow better than others) but don't want to shove religion down others throats.
Sorry if I was implying this in a misconstrued context. I honestly couldn't care less of one's religion nor beliefs. I just was trying to avoid the more traditional bible-belt-beating old southerners in favor of individuals who are indifferent of religious affiliation such as myself. Once again though, I apologize for the wording of that particular request

Old 03-04-2009, 05:46 AM

193 posts, read 482,090 times
I recently decided on Austin and will be moving to Austin in May from Connecticut A little feedback on how I saw Austin.

For the most part, everything you said is correct. Friendly people, liberal atmosphere with conservative suburbs (which I like- I would never want to be in an area where everyone was exactly the same), tons of restaurants, bars, things to do, warm weather, booming economy, more or less recession proof due to University and State govt. and great vibe.

A few negatives that we noted, however, were not strong enough to rule out- but want to mention them to give you the other side of things.

-Texas is a bit ugly. I'm sure I will be flamed for that. The truth is, it just is, and that's okay because for me it's not a huge priority and I accept that I'm moving to a place that isn't quite as green. Although Austin is Hill Country, compared to the part of th country that I'm from- it's still more brown and flat. There are a lot of ugly sprawling subdivisions as well. Overall, this wasn't important enough to us to rule it out, but it's something to consider. There are a lot of beautiful parts too, I just found overall, compared to the east coast, it doesn't have the same beauty.

-Downtown living is very expensive.

-Look up "cedar fever"

-Location isn't great. If you're from DC area now- Austin will be more in the middle of nowhere in terms of proximity to other cities. I'm in CT and have Boston and NYC 2 hours away, so it will be an adjustment for me.

-The homeless. Some Austinites don't seem to realize it- maybe because they're used to it- but I have never seen so may homeless people in a city of it's size in my life. They seem to be safe people tho- and line up outside the shelters everyday around 5pm, but still, it was surprising to see and gave the city a slightly dingy feel.

Other than that, Austin is wonderful and I look forward to moving there I realize no place will be perfect, but Austin's high points are my top priorities and I have fallen in love with the city for what it is.

Old 03-04-2009, 07:03 AM

5,867 posts, read 11,928,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchoverme View Post
.........A few negatives that we noted, however, were not strong enough to rule out- but want to mention them to give you the other side of things.

-Texas is a bit ugly. I'm sure I will be flamed for that. The truth is, it just is, and that's okay because for me it's not a huge priority and I accept that I'm moving to a place that isn't quite as green. Although Austin is Hill Country, compared to the part of th country that I'm from- it's still more brown and flat. There are a lot of ugly sprawling subdivisions as well. Overall, this wasn't important enough to us to rule it out, but it's something to consider. There are a lot of beautiful parts too, I just found overall, compared to the east coast, it doesn't have the same beauty.......

I had to laugh here. You will probably get flak from Texans who think there is no more beautiful place on earth. However, I grew up in Virginia so I know what you're talking about -I almost mentioned it in fact. The beauty of the East coast is hard to top for sure. However, there is hope! It took me awhile, but I've learned to embrace the Texas beauty for what it is. I do remember that I wasn't totally enamored of it when I first relocated but a beautiful spring with lots of wildflowers changed my mind (too bad we won't see that this year )

Old 03-04-2009, 07:14 AM

8,231 posts, read 17,321,103 times
Things I like:
-I grew up in Central Texas, so this is home. It's a feeling.
-Great BBQ
-Beautiful summer/spring days and 110* heat
-Texas spirit- not a nanny state, so far...
-flatlands
-the Gulf (wierd, I know)

Things I don't like-
-allergies
-winter (it can get really cold...one good frost)
-small town racism (it's there...)
-sprawl and lack of zoning
-being far from good air routes for cheap travel

Old 03-04-2009, 09:04 AM

989 posts, read 2,498,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchoverme View Post
A few negatives that we noted, however, were not strong enough to rule out- but want to mention them to give you the other side of things.

-Texas is a bit ugly. I'm sure I will be flamed for that. The truth is, it just is, and that's okay because for me it's not a huge priority and I accept that I'm moving to a place that isn't quite as green. Although Austin is Hill Country, compared to the part of th country that I'm from- it's still more brown and flat. There are a lot of ugly sprawling subdivisions as well. Overall, this wasn't important enough to us to rule it out, but it's something to consider. There are a lot of beautiful parts too, I just found overall, compared to the east coast, it doesn't have the same beauty.

-Downtown living is very expensive.

-Look up "cedar fever"

-Location isn't great. If you're from DC area now- Austin will be more in the middle of nowhere in terms of proximity to other cities. I'm in CT and have Boston and NYC 2 hours away, so it will be an adjustment for me.

-The homeless. Some Austinites don't seem to realize it- maybe because they're used to it- but I have never seen so may homeless people in a city of it's size in my life. They seem to be safe people tho- and line up outside the shelters everyday around 5pm, but still, it was surprising to see and gave the city a slightly dingy feel.

Other than that, Austin is wonderful and I look forward to moving there I realize no place will be perfect, but Austin's high points are my top priorities and I have fallen in love with the city for what it is.
Yes, Austin is surrounded by conservative suburbs. More so when you get outside of Travis county; the surrounding counties voted Republican in the last federal election by 60%-80%.

Whether Texas is ugly is a matter of taste. Personally I think the state is gorgeous all around. And not only the nature, I love the huge structures, highway ramps. Call be crazy but it all just feels big, modern, free and powerful.

Downtown living may be expensive but consider living 20-30 minutes outside of downtown. Heck, you gotta drive everywhere anyways, so why not drive an extra 10-15 minutes yet have a much bigger pad?

Homelessness is a problem and I despise panhandling. The best thing you can do is not to give them anything. Don't support or enable them. They will leave you alone.

If you come to Texas just appreciate it for what it is. Get into the music, lifestyle, attitude, food and culture. But you'll be disappointed if you just expect it to be a cheaper version of the east coast.

Welcome!

Old 03-04-2009, 10:20 AM

3,202 posts, read 6,020,875 times
I only give to panhandlers on 360, 2222 and Mopac. I don't live in these areas, but the bums will stay were the money's at. I am going to start giving them rides over to the west side of town from now on when I see them.

Old 03-04-2009, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTraveler View Post
Seriously dude, give it a rest. I think at this point you're pretty much embarassing yourself. Okay, you lived in Austin for a year and you didn't like it. Why is it still so important to you? Kind of weird if you ask me.
no sh**

Why bother stalking the forum?

Old 03-04-2009, 10:29 AM

989 posts, read 2,498,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobert View Post
I only give to panhandlers on 360, 2222 and Mopac. I don't live in these areas, but the bums will stay were the money's at. I am going to start giving them rides over to the west side of town from now on when I see them.
Check out the advisory from FWPD:

"Feeding addictions is the sole goal of nearly all panhandlers. Sure, they may use some of the money to buy food; even drug addicts get hungry, but if a person were to give food instead of money to a panhandler, that panhandler would be able to save more of his money for drugs or alcohol. My recommendation is, follow the above tips and do not give money to panhandlers."

REF: Panhandlers (http://www.fortworthpd.com/Panhandler.htm - broken link)

Really, don't enable them. Buy yourself a coffee or candy bar with your dollar. You worked for it therefore you deserve it.

Old 03-04-2009, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobert View Post
I will most likely start giving them rides over to Emma Long and dropping them off with camping equipment.

yes, I quoted myself, I am that arrogant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin