Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 03:46 AM

1 posts, read 1,568 times

Advertisements

me too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2010, 07:44 AM

709 posts, read 1,401,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul6835 View Post
AFAIK, the social history of using this in the US to denote your particular place of pride goes back at least 10 years when people in the Northeast who vacationed on Nantucket would put "ACK" (the aiport abbrev) on thier cars as sort of an "in the know" way of saying "I too vacation with rich yuppies" while also advertising your worldliness for having a euro style sticker on your car.

Now you see them everywhere.
First time I saw it was in the mid 90's in Southern Cali. All of the beach towns around San Diego and LA like OB, IB, OS, NB, LB, SB, RB, and MB had them. The areas like Ocean Beach or Redondo Beach all take great pride and have a very strong sense of local community in their beaches and neighborhoods so would stick those stickers on the back of the jeeps so when they would go party or surf elsewhere people would know where they were from and representing. Or something like that. lol. The surf/beach culture out there is odd, but we went to some fun parties on those beaches.

Those who say Texas have an insane amount of "Pride" hasn't been around the surfer culture from Cali much. lol. But I think it is a great thing to take pride in your neighborhood, and those beaches out in Cali or towns like Pf here in Austin. That pride keeps people motivated to make their communities better, and keep them cleaner, safer, and also usually helps lead to creating fun local events, fest and such small fun things where people get out and get to know their neighbors and make more friends and such leading to a stronger community.

Old 11-19-2010, 09:03 AM

1,317 posts, read 4,057,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul6835 View Post
AFAIK, the social history of using this in the US to denote your particular place of pride goes back at least 10 years when people in the Northeast who vacationed on Nantucket would put "ACK" (the aiport abbrev) on thier cars as sort of an "in the know" way of saying "I too vacation with rich yuppies" while also advertising your worldliness for having a euro style sticker on your car.

Now you see them everywhere.
I have a few of those on my car "GB" for Great Britain - where my family is from and I've been, "SF" for San Francisco (since I'm from the Bay Area), and TX for Texas - of course!

Old 11-19-2010, 09:06 AM

1,317 posts, read 4,057,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinitegirl View Post
There's also a "Keep Round Rock Mildly Unusual," but I don't know where to buy it.

Nice to feel all the 'burbian love.

Here's an article about that, and a few other Texan city slogans. Not sure if you can still get that RR sticker - altho I'd like one too!

The Big Apple: “Keep Round Rock Mildly Unusual”

Old 12-08-2010, 12:35 PM

20 posts, read 42,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joejitsu View Post
I often see a sticker that has a white background and the letters Pf in black. Can anyone tell me whats up with that.

They got it from Europe the cars over there have stickers like that, with the initials of where they are from. I've also been seeing stickers that say "baby on board", yep they stole that too.

Old 03-01-2013, 11:26 AM

227 posts, read 366,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joejitsu View Post
Ok, I thought it was Plugerville, but why have a sticker telling everyone where you live?
Or, for that matter why have any stickers on our cars at all? Just because someone's stuck behind me in traffic doesn't mean they give a crap what college I went to, who I voted for, what bands I like.

Nonetheless, we have stickers on both our cars.

Last edited by tildahat; 03-01-2013 at 11:47 AM..

Old 03-01-2013, 11:30 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,637,527 times
Quote:
Just because someone's stuck behind me in traffic doesn't means they give a crap what college I went to, who I voted for, what bands I like.
...and conversely, just because I am stuck ahead of you in traffic doesn't mean I give a crap whether you care if I have stickers on my car . Although I don't have any stickers on mine .

Not to bump a spam post (reported) too much....

Old 03-02-2013, 05:14 PM

3,981 posts, read 6,736,789 times
I like them. They're subtle yet emphasize the German roots of the town.

Warning in advance: If people start driving around with RR, CP, BC, and DS stickers it will not have the same effect.

Old 03-02-2013, 06:52 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,552,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verybadgnome View Post
I like them. They're subtle yet emphasize the German roots of the town.

Warning in advance: If people start driving around with RR, CP, BC, and DS stickers it will not have the same effect.
I was going to print up an AveryRanch sticker; but I remember I picked up a couple of BBQ stickers at the BBQ Fest last year! Now, where did I put those?

Old 03-02-2013, 10:32 PM

1,707 posts, read 2,984,180 times
I've seen those Pf stickers around and was wondering what it was for! Makes sense now
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin