Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 09:25 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,184,310 times

Advertisements

Although I like the food in general at the airport - I happen to like a few things at McDonalds every once in a while. Especially breakfast food....

So I think McDonalds would be a good add to the airport.

They could get rid of Waterloo. Their standard greasy undercooked fries are disgusting at the airport, just like all of their other restaurants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2009, 09:47 AM

8,231 posts, read 17,322,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tondo1984 View Post
I bring food along each week to the airport; you can bring food, as long as it's not like, soup or something. This can save lots of money!
I've never been able to sneak food past security. I guess I'm not as frequent flier worthy, but the once or twice a quarter that I fly my sandwich and chips from home end up in the security trashcan (or in the screeniing officer's plate, ha ha.)

Old 06-15-2009, 09:55 AM

4,726 posts, read 11,982,359 times
I hate the food service at Austin-Bergstrom! No real, proper sit-down restaurant. The only decent thing is the bar. Even Mueller Airport had a traditional restaurant. Frankly I've always despised the whole design concept of Austin-Bergstrom. What a crap airport with its silly Texas theme. Another one of those things about Austin that I never liked.

Old 06-15-2009, 10:14 AM

122 posts, read 360,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
I've never been able to sneak food past security. I guess I'm not as frequent flier worthy, but the once or twice a quarter that I fly my sandwich and chips from home end up in the security trashcan (or in the screeniing officer's plate, ha ha.)
Really? This seems odd. Do you fly around meal times? Those TSA officers must get hungry so then decide that your food is a "security threat" . =)

Old 06-15-2009, 10:50 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,079,250 times
I have observed a decline in the restaurants in the airport. We can blame this on 9-11. When the airport was designed the public was allowed to go all the way to the terminals, which resulted in much more traffic for the restaurants and bars, allowing them to remain open longer hours. They even had live music during happy hour and people would go there for drinks even when no one was traveling.

9-11 changed all that. The public who is waiting for someone to arrive is no longer allowed into the terminal areas where all the restaurants are, which has been a big decrease in business for them. Many can't afford to pay staff to keep the place open when they get little traffic.

I like the idea of local only restaurants, perhaps the airport should take some responsibility in negotiating contracts to make sure that several places are open at any time of day. I have traveled at times there when it seemed like only one was open.

Old 06-15-2009, 10:55 AM

2,357 posts, read 7,900,505 times
I've been flying a lot this year out of ABA. I like the airport very much and appreciate the local businesses that are there...but I barely ever use them due to their limited hours. Every time I fly home to Austin, I can't help thinking how unfortunate it is that everything is closed and the place feels kind of dead. Why can't there just be more local choices with longer operating hours? Even O'Hare has a lot of interesting small businesses.

A few different sandwich/burrito shops would be great (Which-Wich, Thundercloud, Freebirds, Subway, hell, even a Quizno's?) and definitely a sit-down. What about a cool diner? A few national franchises mixed in would be fine I suppose, but I would choose carefully. I'm not a patron of McDonald's, Taco Bell or Burger King etc..., so I probably wouldn't even notice if they were even there. As for Schlotsky's, I know they originated here, but they have locations all over the country now so I wouldn't really count them as "local" anymore

According to ABA's website, the airport has several scheduled expansion projects slated over the next 20 years. The first, the Capital Improvement Plan, scheduled to be completed in 2012, will see the addition of 9 new gates.

http://www.ci.austin.tx.us/austinair...%20Summary.pdf

Old 06-15-2009, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
I hate the food service at Austin-Bergstrom! No real, proper sit-down restaurant. The only decent thing is the bar. Even Mueller Airport had a traditional restaurant. Frankly I've always despised the whole design concept of Austin-Bergstrom. What a crap airport with its silly Texas theme. Another one of those things about Austin that I never liked.
I disagree with you completely on the design of the airport. It is attractive, modern and comfortable, reflecting positively on Austin. Why shouldn't the airport at the state capital city have a Texas theme? Its not even blatant, it is subtle and tasteful. Doing otherwise makes no sense.

Old 06-15-2009, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twange View Post
According to ABA's website, the airport has several scheduled expansion projects slated over the next 20 years. The first, the Capital Improvement Plan, scheduled to be completed in 2012, will see the addition of 9 new gates.

What the heck is a "Cell Phone Lot" shown on the map?

Old 06-15-2009, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twange View Post
I've been flying a lot this year out of ABA. I like the airport very much and appreciate the local businesses that are there...but I barely ever use them due to their limited hours. Every time I fly home to Austin, I can't help thinking how unfortunate it is that everything is closed and the place feels kind of dead. Why can't there just be more local choices with longer operating hours? Even O'Hare has a lot of interesting small businesses.

A few different sandwich/burrito shops would be great (Which-Wich, Thundercloud, Freebirds, Subway, hell, even a Quizno's?) and definitely a sit-down. What about a cool diner? A few national franchises mixed in would be fine I suppose, but I would choose carefully. I'm not a patron of McDonald's, Taco Bell or Burger King etc..., so I probably wouldn't even notice if they were even there. As for Schlotsky's, I know they originated here, but they have locations all over the country now so I wouldn't really count them as "local" anymore

I think Austin's biggest mistake when they solicit proposals for the food businesses, they focused on giving breaks to "disadvantaged" businesses, which eliminated some of the best local companies that might have been interested.

Old 06-15-2009, 11:03 AM

2,357 posts, read 7,900,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
I disagree with you completely on the design of the airport. It is attractive, modern and comfortable, reflecting positively on Austin. Why shouldn't the airport at the state capital city have a Texas theme? Its not even blatant, it is subtle and tasteful. Doing otherwise makes no sense.
I agree and so does everyone I know who has flown into Austin. They ALWAYS comment on how nice it is.

I've always appreciated local flavor at airports. I flew into Minneapolis a few times this year and right away noticed the far "northern" flavors: wolf icons, northern tribe references etc...Fly to the Northwest and you see totems, the southwest and you see desert references. Makes traveling still fun, especially with all of the security stress nowadays.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin