Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 03:18 PM

384 posts, read 1,580,662 times

Advertisements

For whatever it's worth, the four airports I go through most often are Austin's, Birmingham's, Houston-Hobby, and Dallas-Love.

Austin's airport offerings compare quite well to any of those.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2009, 04:56 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
So, it would appear, rather than chains, that additional local selections, or stairstepping hours open (perhaps rotating so the same chain doesn't get the "dead zone" shift every day) would serve much better to solve the problem than adding McDonald's or any other generic, lowest-common-denominator chain would do.

Other than that, if you simply MUST have your McDonald's, go through a drive through on the way to the airport and eat it before you get there.

A sit down restaurant would be great, but it would need to be outside of the security area in order to survive. It would probably do very well, at that, if that could be arranged.

Old 06-15-2009, 05:19 PM

2,357 posts, read 7,896,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
A sit down restaurant would be great, but it would need to be outside of the security area in order to survive. It would probably do very well, at that, if that could be arranged.
I think so. Remember when hanging out at the airport was fun people watching? The new security requirements have sort of killed that vibe unfortunately.

Old 06-15-2009, 05:23 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,131,290 times
Its no longer required that you show your boarding pass to go through security. Which means someone who isn't flying can easily go through security to meet a relative, see someone off, or eat. I don't know if the official policy is that you need to be flying that day to go through security.

Old 06-15-2009, 05:29 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Its no longer required that you show your boarding pass to go through security. Which means someone who isn't flying can easily go through security to meet a relative, see someone off, or eat. I don't know if the official policy is that you need to be flying that day to go through security.
When did this happen? Last time I was in the airport was in March (March 3, to be exact - burned in my brain for eternity because she flew to Canada that day and got married on March 4) to see my daughter off, and they weren't letting people who weren't flying through security then.

Old 06-15-2009, 05:50 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,131,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
When did this happen? Last time I was in the airport was in March (March 3, to be exact - burned in my brain for eternity because she flew to Canada that day and got married on March 4) to see my daughter off, and they weren't letting people who weren't flying through security then.
I've noticed this the last couple of weeks. They're not specifically inviting visitors through, but they are not asking for or looking at your boarding pass when you go though. I would say maybe in the last month or so.

And I agree with your point-- I'd be ok keeping the local franchises if we can expect them to be open during prime hours-- Like between 5 - 7 when there are about 15 flights leaving.

Old 06-15-2009, 08:50 PM

629 posts, read 1,652,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinSpartan View Post
A 24-hour restaurant makes absolutely no sense at ABIA. If you've ever arrived on a flight after 9pm, the entire airport is occupied by the cleaning crew and that's about it. Austin is not a hub city and does not have a lot of late arrivals that would require a 24-hour restaurant.

It's a telling sign when the airport lounges close at 6pm.
Yeah, a 24-hour restaurant would be so silly. I've flown into ABIA at 2:30AM once, and that was because O'Hare was closed for 4 hours due to weather and I was a genius and booked a late flight (out of Columbus, which has a xfer in Nashville - and boy did the delays snowball).

Honestly, I think the handful of employees at the airport were just there waiting for our flight to arrive so they could go home. All the lights in the terminal were shut off, so it was a little creepy. Anyways, 24-hours is stupid. But there should be something selling food open from like 4am to 11pm every day.

Old 06-15-2009, 08:53 PM

629 posts, read 1,652,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
I've noticed this the last couple of weeks. They're not specifically inviting visitors through, but they are not asking for or looking at your boarding pass when you go though. I would say maybe in the last month or so.
Eh? Um, that's not kosher at all, and kind of worries me.

Old 06-16-2009, 12:18 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,542,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesonofgray View Post
Eh? Um, that's not kosher at all, and kind of worries me.
Indeedy, as of Wed. the 10th, a pass was required to get through security to meet 13y/o first time passengers and only ONE pass was allowed...I dutifully waited outside the restricted area while DW met the nephews at the gate. It was never suggested that I could get through security w/o a pass or ticket.

Old 06-16-2009, 12:35 AM

1,194 posts, read 3,973,903 times
I'll be on a Airplane on Wednesday @ 0845. It's on SW to Phoenix. Look for a guy with a white Stetson that has been destroyed by TSA. If you see me, and you can man up, welcome to my travel world. Sorry Steve or Texas Horselady or Love Roses, I am flying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin