Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 06:04 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,140,576 times

Advertisements

Yes, I think it's nice to have some local establishments in the airport serving food. However, it would be very nice and convenient to have a McDonald's and a Starbucks. The only thing for breakfast is a $4 breakfast taco. I'm not crazy about fast food, but a side of beef isn't exactly what I want before getting on a plane-- even if it is from a fake salt lick.

There are limited options for a burger or normal airport fare. Yes, I know, local, local, local. But its not better in an airport situation.

I use the airport weekly-- sometimes more than once.

While on the subject, as anyone else found the restaurants extremely disorganized? The last two times I was there for a 6:15 flight, half the restaurants didn't open till 6, credit card machines and registers were down. Every place I went had a different problem. It was ridiculous. Shouldn't the airport mandate that the vendors be open to service the numerous people leaving on flights between 5:30 and 6:45-- There are many of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2009, 07:45 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,322,756 times
McDonalds? I can't think of anything I'd eat there- maybe the bottled water. I can't even imagine eating their food.

I do agree with you about operating hours. Something should be open there 24 hours.

Old 06-14-2009, 07:49 PM

1,621 posts, read 4,595,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
McDonalds? I can't think of anything I'd eat there- maybe the bottled water. I can't even imagine eating their food.

I do agree with you about operating hours. Something should be open there 24 hours.
The food from the Salt Lick at the airport is the same as at the real Salt Lick. So if you don't imagine eating that you don't know what you're missing.

Salt Lick's taco stand, while expensive, is pretty damn good.

Old 06-14-2009, 08:11 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,884,175 times
I agree 100% on the hours.. I know the flight hours are limited at ABIA, but I've been through there when there were lots of passengers and everything was closed... sometimes very early in the evening. Like 6:00PM early!! That is truly a shame, and the airport SHOULD demand a certain minimum time that those places must be open. Just being local shouldn't exempt them from properly servicing the airport clients.

I guess I'm like mimimomx3 in that I can't really "miss" McDonald's because I wouldn't ever choose to eat anything there. There are other options besides breakfast tacos, though... like breakfast burritos, for instance but really, I do remember Earl Campbell's and Waterloo having regular eggs, omelets & hash browns, too. And Mangia has some kind of breakfast pizza, never tried it though.

Certainly as the airport grows, the all-local concession thing is gonna be hard to keep up. More travelers will expect the longer hours and consistency of chains... I'd say if they could reserve a % of concessions, like 70% or something, for local businesses... that would maintain the feel without depriving the travelers of what they may expect or count on.

Old 06-14-2009, 08:14 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,140,576 times
My point is how about some less expensive, more convenient options. I'm not a big fan of Chili's or Macaroni Grill or McDonald's or Au Bon Paine, but in an airport environment, when I'm in a rush they server a purpose... one that I believe isn't totally fulfilled by the current vendors.

It seems like the big fans of having local establishments at the airport tend to be infrequent airport users.

Old 06-14-2009, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
My point is how about some less expensive, more convenient options. I'm not a big fan of Chili's or Macaroni Grill or McDonald's or Au Bon Paine, but in an airport environment, when I'm in a rush they server a purpose... one that I believe isn't totally fulfilled by the current vendors.

It seems like the big fans of having local establishments at the airport tend to be infrequent airport users.
Sorry, but McDonalds may be cheap in the short run, but very, very expensive in the long run (heart disease, obesity, diabetes, high blood pressure...). What exactly are you getting out of that 'dollar menu'?

Here are the vendors (Shlotzkys is my favorite, I usually grab a salad from them):
Restaurant Concessions at Austin-Bergstrom International Airport

Old 06-14-2009, 08:20 PM

3,757 posts, read 9,062,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post

Are you serious when asking for less expensive? The Chiles at all the airports I've used are very expensive.

Old 06-14-2009, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennibc View Post
Are you serious when asking for less expensive? The Chiles at all the airports I've used are very expensive.
My experience is that all airport food is overpriced. Thanks to 'security issues' we aren't even able to bring good food from home and have to choose from a lot of plastic packed food.

Old 06-14-2009, 08:24 PM

556 posts, read 1,563,833 times
How about Hey Cupcake?

Old 06-14-2009, 08:36 PM

629 posts, read 1,653,952 times
For the size of the airport, I think the food selection is fine. But I do agree on the hours thing (although open 24-hours is a little much).

I see where mlassoff is coming from - sometimes "quick and familiar" can make a big difference in a tight airport schedule environment. As ABIA grows, I don't see the "100% local" thing staying true, but ABIA is pretty darn small as airports go. As ironic as it sounds, our AP just ain't big enough for the influx of chains.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin