Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 11:28 AM

532 posts, read 1,392,942 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
What the heck is a "Cell Phone Lot" shown on the map?
I've seen cell phone lots at a few other airports, and I think the way it works is that the person driving to the airport to pick you up parks in that lot to wait for you. As soon as you get your luggage, you call them on their cell phone and tell them you're ready to be picked up. Then they drive to the regular pickup area and get you. It's supposed to cut down on cars just circling past the pickup areas over and over until they see their passenger. Reduces pollution and also traffic congestion at the pickup areas. The cell phone lots are usually free and have a limit of like 30 or 60 minutes. And you have to stay with your car the whole time, so there's no cheating of leaving your car and walking over to meet someone on foot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2009, 11:50 AM

509 posts, read 1,544,926 times
I have to admit that my family and I have flown in and out of ATX a number of times and I never really noticed that all of the businesses were local (oops). The restaurants were only open once when we were there, which was a disappointment. We ordered breakfast to take on the plane (sorry, don't remember the name of the establishment). I expected it to be pricey but it was mediocre at best and took FOREVER for them to make. I second Twange's idea for a cool diner. A 24 hour place would be perfect.

Old 06-15-2009, 11:57 AM

105 posts, read 380,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Sure a four dollar breakfast taco and $2.95 cup of coffee is good if you are an occasional airport visitor-- but once or twice a week it gets old.
I travel a lot and those prices seem pretty in line with airport food prices around the country.

If you want mcdonalds maybe you can grab it on the way to the airport? Sure you can't bring your coffee through security but a mcmuffin would do just fine.

Old 06-15-2009, 12:30 PM

362 posts, read 1,044,889 times
A 24-hour restaurant makes absolutely no sense at ABIA. If you've ever arrived on a flight after 9pm, the entire airport is occupied by the cleaning crew and that's about it. Austin is not a hub city and does not have a lot of late arrivals that would require a 24-hour restaurant.

It's a telling sign when the airport lounges close at 6pm.

Old 06-15-2009, 01:57 PM

988 posts, read 3,255,943 times
I would like a Duncan Donuts before a McDonalds. They serve hot breakfast sandwiches and coffee drinks too. If they want to stick with a local business, they should open up a Chuy's express, that serves only breakfast tacos, regular tacos, burritos, quesadillas, chimchangas, and chips w/queso and salsa. I'm just dreaming though.

Old 06-15-2009, 02:06 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,134,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiff Giant View Post
The Salt Lick in the airport is my 'go to' breakfast when I travel. I suppose you can get a side of beef if that's what you're after but I always have an egg and cheese breakfast taco. That, an OJ and maybe a valium I'm good to fly.

The last thing any town (or airport) needs is another Starbucks and McD's.
Salt lick breakfast is an awesome deal. Scrambled eggs, sausage and biscuits and gravy for like 4.99.

For lunch/dinner, I get the stuffed baked potato which has a ton of bbq brisket in a giant potato for 6.99. - this is one of my favorite meals in all of austin.

I love the local restaurants and hope they never have all chains. Auntie annies is a chain and is in the airport..

Similar sized airport is john wayne in orange county and the food selection there is awful and generic.

Old 06-15-2009, 02:09 PM

4,726 posts, read 11,982,359 times
Isn't Auntie Annies a pretzel stand essentially? That's not a restaurant. The places at Austin-Bergstrom are just local fast-food. Frankly, I prefer the airport at Harlingen.

Old 06-15-2009, 02:17 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,141,818 times
doctorjef hit it on the head. No sit down restaurant. That's what's missing and what I'd love to see. Sometimes I arrive quite early at meal time and would love a regular sit down restaurant. The traffic at AIBA would definitely support it.

TSA regulations prohibit bringing any type of liquids through besides the 3.4 oz toiletries. That makes taking outside food on the plane difficult.

Some airports-- like BWI-- have negotiated with their vendors to provide the same types of prices they would outside the airport. Perhaps that's a possibility. From what I see the vendors at AIBA are quite busy... when they're open.

Old 06-15-2009, 02:33 PM

1,306 posts, read 3,121,370 times
Toss a Kerbey Lane or a Magnolia Cafe in there and we'd be golden. I agree that it's terrible that the restaurants aren't open later. Nothing like trudging off a plane late at night in need of a cup of coffee or something to wake you up long enough to drive to your destination, and it's a total ghost town.

Old 06-15-2009, 02:49 PM

2,627 posts, read 6,576,108 times
As others have stated, since it's not a hub, you don't have a lot of people with layovers or connecting flights. My guess is THAT is when you get a lot of people hanging out and eating meals. Plus the fact that everything is behind security makes it so people picking up someone can't buy anything. They would probably do better putting a Starbucks downstairs in baggage claim since that's where you have to wait for people. I spend more time waiting in the baggage claim area when guests are in town than actually behind security in the terminal.

I don't travel much, but when I do, I don't eat before getting on the plane anyway. The last thing I need is to have a full stomach before takeoff. I bring a couple Clif or Nutri-grain bars for the plane to go along with the snacks they give out. When I get back into Austin, it's straight to baggage claim or just straight to my car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin